Software
Houzz Logo Print
cmolatore

2" Cellular Shades?

8 years ago

Does anyone have any thoughts on or own 2" cellular shades? I am looking to get them for my daughter's room (and also the guest room), which happens to face the street. How do these look in person? They seem like they would look nice with the drapes she has in her room, whereas a smaller cell size may look too busy for a long window? Or maybe these will be too big? The room has 2 tall windows next to each other (34"W x 70"H per window). I'm getting these because I want blackout shades in her room. Her "blackout" drapes turned out to be merely room darkening. Thank you for your advice!

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    As far as I am concerned, no cellular shade is lovely. If you must have them, do Hunter Douglas Duettes, or Allustra, which provide a sandwich effect and a white exterior to the street.The size of the cell matters not.

    None of them look great when down, and at night it hardly matters does it? Yank them up during the day.

  • 8 years ago

    Jan, what is the difference between the Duettes and off-brand cellular shades? What do you mean by sandwich effect?

  • 8 years ago

    I have cellular shades at the bathroom and bedroom Windows. They are kept completely up and out of the way during the day. They serve a purpose for privacy. They are NOT window treatments. There are curtains at the Windows, too.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The difference between off brands, and reputable Hunter Douglas is broken mechanisms and longevity in use for a thing that will go up...and down...........DAILY. Even Hunter Douglas deals with repairs on occasion. Stay far away from imported junk parts, or replace frequently. That is the deal. Get a wood blind to match window casings, , and Blackout curtain panels over them if you need this much TOMB. : ) At least they operate on a tilt, and do not require the constant up and down.

    Don't train your babies to lsleep this way folks. A dimmed room is all that is necessary from the get go. The way you LEARN to sleep stays ith you forever. Lear less coverage and darkness, When tired? You sleep.

  • 8 years ago

    I was thinking more in terms of functionality of the HD over other brands. I know there are some that open with sheers and close with opaque. Not to hijack the thread but I can’t use wood blinds on this particular window in the master bath, long story for another post.

  • 8 years ago
    I can’t afford Hunter Douglas at this stage in my life although they are very nice. I will most likely be going with select blinds. I was just hoping for feedback on 2” versus like a 3/4” or 1/2” if anyone has experience on this.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I have never seen 2 inch cellular shades. I have had regular size cell shades - I don't remember the exact size, would guess 1/2 inch - on large windows like yours, and they looked fine to me.

    I assume you know about light leakage on the sides of cellulars. There is a version that comes with side rails but the combo of black-out drapes and the cellulars should do it.

    With regard to the question up-thread, I have had Hunter Douglas silhouette shades, and I have also purchased a cheaper brand from a subsidiary of HD Called Comfortex. I was happy with the Comfortex and would buy again.

  • 8 years ago

    I have no personal experience with 2” shades but I found this video earlier about different size honeycomb blinds. I bought my pleated top down bottom up pleated shade from American Blinds and it works fine. My window has some funky angles to it and had to have an outside mount blind. It gets opened in the morning and closed at night. If it breaks I’ll toss it.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eRIW7MgpCnc

  • 8 years ago

    How about a plain roller blind? I have them on all my windows. I find they work well under all of my window treatments. Some are over 30 years old and have never had a mechanical problem. They don't collect dust either.

    Hillarys · More Info

    Bedroom blinds and interiors · More Info

    Woodland Pink Roller blind with a blackout fabric · More Info

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    There will be light seep with ANY up down/or tilt treatment unless you add side curtain panels. There has to be some gap, in order for them to operate. An outside mount will not help those who need the blackness....as it furthers the covering from the window. You will need a combination of two treatments to get absolutely NO light

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hey There: Honeycomb blinds in 1 inch or 2 inch or somewhere between is a great way for shading. Specially the bottom up top down feature lets you perfectly chose between light management and privacy. There is btw a huge difference between 1 inch and 2 inch blinds - it is how they operate. 2 inch blinds have two horizontal tracks with one of them mounted permanently to the top of the window while track 2 and 3 move up and down on pull strings to achieve the bottom up and top down function. Please be aware of child hazard.

    The 1 inch blinds operate totally different...there are no pull strings or strings running across you glass - only two horizontal bars that create the bottom up top down feature. You have handle to bring them up or down.

    Last but not least: Jan is right when it comes to the small gap between the blinds and the wall. It is about 1/8 inch and will let some light seeping through.





    Good Luck on your project!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County