Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_38265116

Succulent seems to be dying, sagging, and possibly rotting?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

For some reason my succulent seems to be going down hill and Idk what to do to help it my container does have drainage holes and I keep it elevated to allow air from the top and bottom through the drainage hole but it seems to be rotting only in the one spot where the long stem of now dead flowers are at and has left any leaves in that area to just fall off with ease I also don’t know why it is sagging so much I just overall need help trying to save my succulent please







Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I see rot too. Not only flower stalk - and you can snip it off when blooms are finished; but it may be some leaves or the stem, can't tell for sure from photo. It looks quite dark around the flower stalk.

    Pot is quite deep. Great that it has drainage hole. But I wonder if your mix is more water-retaining, and there is lot of it in deep pot. I see some perlite, but is probably not enough - just little of perlite doesn't help. How do you determine when to water?

    Center of rosette is also very light color, any idea why? Was plant in less light recently? Older growth is more proper color - bluish green, as it should be (I believe your plant is Echeveria shaviana).

    Brittany Mercado thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 8 years ago

    So I should pull some healthy leaves off and plant those and get rid of the whole rotted plant? Here’s a picture of the mix it is in plus’s like one more handful of perlite we added after the picture was taken

    it has been in less sunlight recently because it has been reallyyyyyy hot out lately and it’s not fully alclimated to the sun yet so I’ve been leaving it out for a few hours in the morning for morning sun then have been bringing it in when it starts getting really hot so I don’t burn it but other than that I have no clue what could of happened to it

  • 8 years ago

    Oh and I’ve been watering it once a week always on Sunday

  • 8 years ago

    Mix looks better in your las photo - better than in previous pics. If that's wat it is, it should work.

    How hot does it get where you are? We are having high temps (for my location); it has been between 82*F to 94*F for quite some time, and also very little rain. All my succulents are outside at all times. But they are acclimatized, and have been outside since late May. Good you are taking care not to burn your plant, but it may not need to go indoors - rather keep it in shadier spot. Natural light, even in partial shade, is usually much better than indoors.

    I would suggest taking a bamboo skewer or chopstick, and test soil deep in the pot. I would do it today, to see if it dried up since last watering on Sunday. Can you do hat and let us know?

    Brittany Mercado thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 8 years ago

    It’s been in the 90s recently and says it feels like it’s in the 100s but it’s been a little cooler recently like in the 80s so I should start putting it outside again and continue to acclimate it and I don’t have any type of skewer I could stick in it rn so I’ll have to get something for that or find something else to stick in it before being able to do that but I’ll figure it out and test it before watering again tomorrow and see what’s going on I haven’t had time today to try and take it out and re pot yet so it’s still inside rotting for now but I really need to try and get it out soon before I Lose it all and yea the picture of the mix is the mix I used and the soil in it is succulent soil

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    ...a pencil will doo too...

    If it is rotting, only cutting off all rotting parts will. Rot spreads quite fast, what could be saved today may not be possible to save in 2 - 3 days. Just saying...If it is rotting, it will be better out of the pot and existing soil, and even left unpotted for a day or so. Make sure it is out of sunlight if that's what you do.

    Brittany Mercado thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 8 years ago

    I just had time to stick a pencil into the soil and it came out completely dry and clean

  • 8 years ago

    I still haven’t got to taking it out of the pot yet but I should be able to today but I can see how fast it is getting destroyed by the rotting already it’s half way dead and has lost almost all its leaves on it now

  • 8 years ago

    Brittany

    If you don't mind me asking - did you notice what I posted yesterday?

    ..."If it is rotting, only cutting off all rotting parts will. Rot spreads quite fast, what could be saved today may not be possible to save in 2 - 3 days..If it is rotting, it will be better out of the pot and existing soil, and even left unpotted for a day or so. "...

    Longer you wait, more certain it will just all rot away.

  • 8 years ago

    Yea I saw I was js that I haven’t got to it yet other than putting the pencil in it and testing that and was saying I saw what you were talking about when you said it rots fast I have it out of the pot now till I have more time to mess with it

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio