Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onthebrinck

How to approach a large yard grading project?

onthebrinck
5 years ago

On behalf of my daughter, I want to hire a contractor to regrade her backyard. How do you go about finding the right professional and laying out a contract to do the right work? The backyard is an irregular area of about 125'x125' comprised of a new 15'x50' deck at the house and about 20' beyond that a new, enormous 50'x50' pool. The land grades down about 5' from the house to a narrow state-owned wetland behind used as a culvert and not environmentally 'over'-protected. Three major problems were created by the deck and pool construction. 1) there is no diversion under the deck to prevent rainwater there from flowing out and on to the 20' of patio beyond. So, as a result soil and mulch is often pushed out onto the cement pavers in any above-average rainfall. 2) Since the pool is level, the surrounding paving area and grass beyond had to be elevated. This grass area is not graded significantly to prevent rainwater from ponding and from eventually pushing mulch and dirt into the pool itself. 3) And this may be part of 2): the pool contractor used the clay soil from digging the pool as the base for the surrounding area which is now easily 75% of the remaining 'lawn' (he added about 1-2" of topsoil for grass.) This clay base is virtually impenetrable. It took all of my strength to literally scrape a planting hole 16"x16"x16". I think this is aggravating the drainage problem since I can't imagine rain water easily (if ever) soaking through the clay. There can be 2-3" of standing water even 12 hours after a rainstorm. I'd like to frame the contract to handle drainage and regrading, and an add-alternate to add 6-8" of topsoil to the new graded lawn.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

Even with your description, there is a lot of information unknown so it is always helpful to see a photograph of the overall situation ... in case there is something relevant but not mentioned, and for us to better understand what is described. A landscape architect or drainage engineer could direct the grading work. Since there would be planting to occur after the grading is finished, the LA could handle it all. Some landscape designers and grading contractors could handle grading design, too. You'd need to inquire of anyone if they can/will do the work you're after.

"Since the pool is level, the surrounding paving area and grass beyond had to be elevated." It is not clear what you mean or why one would follow the other.

A big mystery is the deck and how grading could occur below it if it is low to the ground

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    5 years ago

since you're trying to find the right professional, one thing to consider is the laws pertaining to what you want to do. In many places, if you're disturbing more than X sq ft, you need to submit a grading and drainage plan to the city or county. If you think you'll be draining onto/otherwise impacting the wetland, you may need similar documentation. I'd start with getting either a landscape designer or landscape architect on site to review the conditions and potential issues. While this is something that a lot of grading/excavation contractors could do, it's hard to know as a layperson which ones need a plan to follow and which ones don't.

• onthebrinck
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Quoted: "Since the pool is level, the surrounding paving area and grass beyond had to be elevated." It is not clear what you mean or why one would follow the other.

A big mystery is the deck and how grading could occur below it if it is low to the ground.

Thanks for the response. In answer to your questions: the pool is level, but as I said, the original slope of the yard was about 5' down from the house to the rear property line. So, the back edge of the pool was 4' above the original grade and fill had to be added around it. As to the deck, there is a 4' high crawl space between the underside of the deck and the grade below.

I am trying to get more photos and will also be contacting the original engineering firm who provided a grading plan ... which through a series of missteps and changed contractors on my daughter's part was not conformed to.

• onthebrinck
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is after 3-4 hour deluge of about 3" of rain. Notice not just the fact that the pool and pavers are underwater but that the surrounding lawn is as well.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    5 years ago

If you already worked with an engineering firm that has been to the site and created drawings, and they weren't followed and now you're having a problem, I would start with calling them. They're going to be the fastest and most accurate way of determining what does and does not conform to the drawings, and what necessary next steps would be. Anyone else will need to come out and do a full topo and essentially reinvent the wheel.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

The picture well explains the problem. I think you are getting great advice from Revolutionary Gardens. When you get a chance, take a picture square from the side so we can see the perpendicular view of the pool ... especially the farthest portion. And a picture of the below deck area.

• Sigrid
    5 years ago

I think you might want a network of french drains, not grading.

• onthebrinck
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just a temporary PS: I have just discovered, after my first chance to see the grading plan, that it appears that the pool was installed 3-4' below the engineer's drawing. If this is true, there is no way the existing grading could have been made to work without extensive excavation. We are pursuing remedy with the pool installer.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

Presuming that the pool deck itself drains OK, with storm water running to its outside edges, it seems like it would be quite easy to make the yard drain. It looks like each side needs extremely gentle swales and that there is a pronounced slope toward the back lot line, and even lower elevations beyond. The hedge that's planted around the pool perimeter ... is it raised above the pool decking? It seems odd to me that anyone would want their pool enclosed by a hedge so closely to the deck ... or they would want a hedge obstructing the view beyond the pool. Even if they want these things, there is no space allowed for growth without impeding the pool deck area.

We have no knowledge of the land and grading located uphill of the pool deck area. Presumably, there will be water coming from that side which needs to be routed safely before it gets into the back yard. Is water graded away from the house foundation all around?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It looks to me that regrading to drain wouldn't amount to more than pushing some soil around on site, balancing cut and fill. There doesn't seem to be a true berm around the pool, but only some high soil to remove. To do that and create a gentle swale beyond it doesn't look like massive amounts of earth to be moved. Yet farther downhill beyond the pool is a substantial area of lower elevation. It looks like there'd probably be plenty of space to deposit any soil moved from farther up in the yard.

• onthebrinck
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We have started legal action

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

Good luck. Report back on the resolution once you have it.