Software
Houzz Logo Print
ollie_moore2

Please help save this lawn..!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Is this lawn beyond help now?
Been weedy since moving in 18months ago but still not managed to get to it.
See pic attached/below, but basically the heat lately has really kicked the final life from the lawn.
I am thinking that I could now dowse the weeds (as easy to spot!) with killer and then seed and fertilize but don't want it to be futile....
I am not enthralled at the prospect (cost) of returfing hence seeking some advice on if i can avoid that.
Thanks all.

Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    Although when it's that dormant, you can spray. The grass is asleep and won't notice. :-)

    You don't need to irrigate if you don't want to; bluegrass has no problems going dormant. Fescues and ryes have weaker dormancy mechanisms and will die out over time, but they're reasonably durable. What survived the summer will pop back in fall when temperatures cool and (hopefully) rainfall resumes. Although with some lawns, reseeding will be necessary.

    Ollie Moore thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you both

    I live in Essex, England.

    No idea what grass type is now, and no real desire for anything specific. Something that is easy underfoot but fairly low maintenance and likes temperate climate.

    Having an unseasonal heatwave currently, generally mix of sun and showers (its England!) but had 6 weeks without rainfall... I definitely need to get watering. But wondered if it was better to tackle the weeds first?

    Or, reading above, would you say better to water water water and just mow high until the into September?

    Thanks again!


  • 8 years ago

    The weeds are green, so I'd spray those (with whatever is legal for weeds in England, I'm not familiar with your herbicides). Then start the watering after the herbicide has absorbed (several hours later, really). That'll get things moving.

    You might have to spray again in September as the watering will cause new weeds to sprout, but there's no help for that...

    In terms of watering, I'd water twice a week during the heat wave, and drop back to once weekly after it breaks. You'll want to put about half an inch of water down on each of the two waterings, up to 1" when you go once a week in that one watering. Tuna cans will help you out there as they're nice and flat, and just about an inch deep.

    Rainfall counts, of course, so if you get an inch, you're golden.

    Ollie Moore thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Water, water, water is not what I said. Deep and infrequent is the mantra for watering. This is for all turf grass all over the place. Deep means 3 cm all at one time. Put some cat food or tuna cans around the yard, and time how long it takes your sprinkler(s) to fill all the cans. Memorize that time. That will be the time you water from now on. My hose, sprinkler and water pressure takes 8 full hours to fill the cans. Your time will likely be less. I like gentle watering. As for watering frequency, that depends on the daytime air temperature. With temps from 33-38 deep water once per week. With temps from 25-32 deep water once every 2 weeks. With temps from 21-24 deep water once every 3 weeks. With temps below 21, deep water once a month. Note that you have to keep up with quickly changing temps in the spring and fall. In the USA this deep and infrequent schedule works in Phoenix and in Vermont (for Oz think Hobart to Darwin including Alice Springs), so it should work for you. The reason for deep and infrequent is to grow deeper, more drought resistant roots and to allow the soil to dry completely at the surface for several days before watering again. If it rains, reset your calendar to account for the rainfall.

    I just looked up your climate. You will never water even once a week. With your temps it's going to be more like once every 2-3 weeks - but always deeply.

    I'm going to suggest fertilizing with organic fertilizer like soybean meal, alfalfa mea/pellets, corn meal, or some other ground up nut, bean, or seed you can find at your local feed store. It should come in 20-kilo bags. The application rate is 7-10 kilos per 100 square meters. These organics are good to revitalize your soil. After 3 weeks the grass, assuming it is coming back, should be deeper green, more dense, and growing faster. You can apply organics as often as you like. Plus using organics will make Charles a happy guy.

    Ollie Moore thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • 8 years ago

    He's in Essex, England,. with a very different climate than any part of Australia. They're in the middle of a freaky heat snap right now.

    Ollie Moore thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks very much for both your input.

    I'm definitely going to give the weeds a direct spray this evening, avoiding as much 'overspray' as i can onto any grass, just to be safe.

    I'll then water deeply the following two evenings. Probably a mow after this weekend (very high) and then another good evening soak and keep a soak every other day while this wave continues.

    I'll be back to post progress in a few weeks!

    Thanks again, Ollie

  • 8 years ago

    They're in the middle of a freaky heat snap right now.

    Yeah, temps in the mid 70s with no relief in sight. I guess that would be the low 20s if you live in Celsius land. Crazy heat. Y'all come over here and set a spell. We're expecting 105 (40C) this weekend.

    With temps in the low 20s I would be deep watering once every 3 weeks. For Essex with your lawn in that condition, I would water no more than 10 mm per week, every week, until the grass looks green again.

    Ollie Moore thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • 8 years ago

    Currently 81degs.

    Us Brits are used to overcast muggy days, rain or shine temps that rarely top the 70deg mark and 'cold snaps' that rarely get below zero.... And so are our gardens!

    A prolonged period in the 75-85's or below freezing and we fall to bits!

    ..... But get us on holiday... And we'll be out there sipping g+t and burning to a crisp in your midday sun!! yep, we're insane :)

    Thanks again dchall, will post an update in a couple of weeks.


  • 8 years ago

    Ok, just checking in, as feel is only right to do.

    Initial weed killer (broadleaf verdone type) has got most of the obvious dandelions etc and also seems to have helped clear up some moss i never even saw before (!) and generally done good. Dead or dying. Still a good scattering of weeds remaining and another batch appeared since watering so will certainly need to retreat but not until I let the grass recover.

    On that note. Watering deeply every other day is doing wonders. We even had an all night downpour a few days ago and I literally jumped for joy, ha. Hot hot dry heat is back now.

    I have taken a rake to it and I cannot believe how much rubbish (moss, old dead grass, etc etc) I have removed. Have been careful not to overdo it as grass still recovering but will certainly be raking again in a couple of weeks.

    Have also fed with some general grass fertilizer (the pellet variety) and taken a fork to the lawn in the vein hope of some airation. I am committed but I'm not shelling out for a proper one!

    Photos not really going to do any particular justice to the progress so far. But I do feel I'm going in the right direction :) slowly... Ha.

    Thanks again and any further advice / tips etc is greatly appreciated.

    Ollie

    Currently 21.48 here in Southern England, current temp 21c, high today was a balmy 34c.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio