Software
Houzz Logo Print
heath_shurtleff90

Granite Countertop Dilemma

8 years ago

My wife and I are building a house and we finally ran into a topic that neither of us is willing to bend on. Countertops. We both want to go with granite, but we have very different tastes in what type we like. I like the kind with the big lines of variation in it, while she likes the kind with a more consistent pattern to it. She thinks the large patches of variation will be too busy, while I think it make it look more luxe. Help!

Comments (18)

  • 8 years ago

    I agree with you, but I think she is more on trend. Have you actually gone to the slab yard to look at things together? That would be my advice, if you haven’t done so. You might find something you could compromise on.

  • 8 years ago

    DH and I just went through granite selection for our new home (which included visits to multiple granite yards 2 hours away).

    I agree with MizLizzie - take the time to go to a couple of yards and wander around, looking at all the stone. You might find something you both like, and seeing them in person really helps. One thing I recall @cpartist mentioning in one of her posts, when you look at a slab, it looks a lot more dramatic in a yard because you're looking at it face-on. In your home, you're going to see it more from the edge and it will appear "quieter" than in the face-on view.

    Are there colors you both are drawn to? Maybe some of us could suggest stone varieties to consider. For example, if you both like really dark, Volga Blue will read almost like a quiet black slab until the light hits the iridescent blue inclusions just right (as does Labrador Antique - except it is a quieter tan with turquoise bits).

    We opted for a quiet stone for the perimeter and a more dramatic one for our island.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Definitely go to a couple granite yards together; don't go to just one because different stoneyards have different selections. Also, some of the stoneyards prefer you to make an appointment in advance, so call ahead.

    When you are there, take photos of slabs you both like. I bet there will be more than one. Then you can go home and look at the photos at your leisure.

    Have you picked the cabinets yet, or, are you picking the granite first? I am asking because if you've picked the cabinets, it's very helpful to take a cabinet sample with you to the stoneyard (I took an entire cabinet door with me).

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I am a fabricator. IF you have an island you might consider a more exotic stone with movement for the island and something more mundane for the perimeters. I do a lot of high end homes and this approach is very common. you get the benefit of the extraordinary beauty of an exotic stone without making the kitchen too busy. In practice the mundane perimeters actually allow an island that is even more dramatic.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Heath, look at quartzite or maybe quartz. walk around a slab yard w/their hundreds of choices. I'm sure the two of you can agree on one slab

    for a heartier quartzite, look at SeaPearl and TajMajal

    Fusion

    Monte Cristo

    Fossil Brown Quartz

    (and as mentioned, if doing an island, pick something simple for one, and more movement on the other. as long as they both go together, you all get what you want)



    or have one of you compromise on this and the other gets their choice in the bathrooms, or gets to pick the tile,,or whatever.

  • 8 years ago
    Ask yourself, “who’s going to be in the kitchen more?”
  • 8 years ago

    Granite is a natural material. If you're going to use granite, then you should use slabs that have a large movement with variations to it. That's the beauty of using granite. That's the "art" of granite. It's not busy, it's art. You have to think of it that way, otherwise then just use quartz, something that is manufactured. And then your kitchen will look like a million other kitchens of everyone that is using that marble quartz look right now. You might as well add subway tile while you're at it.

    I can give you an example. I picked out a slab of granite for a guest bathroom, but when they came to install it, the piece that they had cut out for me had a marbled darker part running through it. I was so upset, it wasn't what I was expecting, but I went ahead with it and it was one of the best decisions I made in that house. Literally every single person that went in that guest bathroom commented on what a beautiful work of art the counter top is. It's unique. It's very pretty and it absolutely makes the bathroom.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Heath:


    Have you selected your floor? Appliances? It is always better to be in a position of expanding, not narrowing, choices.

  • 8 years ago

    One gazillion up-votes for cpaul1. You are a true "stone person", your wife is not. Never the twain shall meet. One of you gets the kitchen choices, the other gets all the bathroom(s) choices.

  • 8 years ago

    One thing that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is cost. From my two kitchen remodels, the more variations in the slab seemed to drive a higher cost. It also ends up with some interesting issues with seams if you have a lot of surface. The more boring slabs of conglomerate style granite tend to be the lower cost granites, and they are easier to match the seams.

    I like the look of the variation and veining, just wanted to throw it out there as another factor. Natural stone, to me, is beautiful and all have their pros so good luck with your choice.

  • 8 years ago

    If you consider using a stone with lots of movement on the perimeter, consider where seams might be and if you will be unhappy with the placement. I also prefer a more noticeable stone on an island where you can use more of the slab. and quieter stone on the counters.

  • 8 years ago

    What type of cabinet are you considering? Painted? Natural wood? Busy counters need quiet cabinets. Could that be her objection, that the counter will fight with the cabinets?


  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for all the feedback. Everything else is chosen so here is what we have.

    Floors: Dark wood with a rustic feel (so it has a bit of subtle variation)

    Cabinets: Light cream with a glaze (Shabby chic I think is the style)

    Appliances: Black Stainless

    U shaped kitchen with an oversized island, no appliances or sinks in the island. Farmhouse sink.

  • 8 years ago

    Both of you need to visit slab yards. Bring a sample of the flooring and a cabinet door with you. (The suppliers of both will allow a loan of their display.) This will assist you in finding something you both like. Slabs of the same granite can vary hugely in tone and movement. Good luck.

  • 8 years ago

    if your island is whole, with no cut outs, you win. if it has cut outs, your wife wins and she owes you big time.


    we looked at some dramatic slabs a few years back, but the realization that there would be a cooktop cut out in it made it so not worth while. i feel the same about perimeters.

  • 8 years ago

    quieter stone on perimeter - fancier stone on island - you both win.

  • 8 years ago

    Or do what I did. I did the more dramatic part of my stone on the island and the quieter part on my perimeter. My island has all the colors and the majority of the perimeter is more shades of greens.