doogie89

New Construction - Soil Prep for Sod

doogie89
last modified: July 31, 2018

New construction home built in May 2018. Moved in June 2018. Looking to do our own sod installation in late September. Irrigation is being installed August 28th. Once the irrigation is installed, what is the best way to prep the soil? I did a soil test on the lot and the soil just needs some starter fertilizer. The pH was 8.1, so I did buy some sulfur to put down eventually. I am more concerned with prepping the soil for sod installation. Obviously, doing it on our own we are trying to save some money. Sod companies will come in with the big tractor to rough up the soil. I wanted to avoid tilling the soil, because the final grade is done and I don't want to mess with that. And I don't need to add top soil.

Would renting a power rake be worthwhile? Home depot has them for $50-$75 a day. Another local rental place told me to rent a dingo with a special attachment but that was almost $400. At that point, I might as well have a professional come out and lay the sod. Cheapest route would be to just rake it by hand, but that is a lot of labor for 7,800 sqft of grass.