Software
Houzz Logo Print
marta_watson

New Construction: Should we install transom windows or regular windows

8 years ago

We are trying to decide whether to go with transom windows in our office (2 windows + door)and the master bedroom (2 windows plus the door). Is there any advantage to either style? The windows are 6'6" tall by 36" wide without the transom.

With the transom above they will be 5'6" by 36" wide with a fixed 18"x36" transom window above. Both rooms have a exterior windowed door as well. The doors are 8' tall without the transom and will be 7' tall in we use transoms.


Any input would be helpful. Thanks!!

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I think either way is Ok. I personally don't like transoms, but given the numbers you list I think in your case it'll look more proportional with the transoms

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for the comment. I neglected to mention that this part of the house faces east towards a wetlands and hills in the distance. My husband is not a fan and I do like transoms, but if they cost more??? then I'm not sure it makes sense to spend the extra money on this aspect.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    What style of architecture is your house? Can you post elevations of the house, so we don't have to imagine things?

    That said, here's some thoughts:

    --The purpose of transoms is to extend the head height of the glazing in order to allow more natural light to penetrate into the interiors;

    --If I understand the information you have posted above, you regular windows are 6'-6" tall, and using transoms and shorter windows, you achieve a height of 5'-6" + 1'-6" = 7' tall. Not really much difference for the extra cost of the transoms.

    If you have 9' or 10' ceilings, why wouldn't you consider using the 6'-6" windows plus the 1'-6" transoms and flush frame the ceiling so that your window opening header could be approx. 4" below the ceiling plane (enough for the window trim at the head of the window)?

    The higher the window head in a space, the more natural light can enter the space.

    Of course, all this is without knowing the architectural style of your house or what this might do to the exterior elevation appearance...photos, please! :-)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    When it comes to choices like this...I always vote for eating!

  • 8 years ago

    Here are the elevations of the house. The rear elevation is what I am concerned.

    Here is the elevation for all sides of the house. The transoms in question would be for the rear of the house. There are 10' ceilings throughout the rooms in question. The office has the door from the side which is not visible in this diagram.



  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I would recommend what your architect recommends.

  • 8 years ago

    He simply says: " Whatever you like we can do" hence the dilemma:-)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I like the transoms...we have several of them, but in your case would the kitchen window look like the odd man out...presuming the great room windows have transoms?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Odd assortment of windows on this house. I would not add yet another size/type/shape. Are you sure you have an architect and not a draftsman?

  • 8 years ago

    Will you be using window coverings? If so, will you hide the transom or use the window covering below it? We went with transoms on the front of our house so we could put shutters on the windows and leave the transoms for natural light.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. We have decided to save some money and bag the transoms. The view is really pretty and it would work just as well without the transoms.
  • 8 years ago

    I have to ask. Is this designed by an architect or a designer? I ask because like Anglo, I wonder about having so many different styles of windows.

  • 8 years ago

    You said you've already made a decision but for others in the future....transoms in a bedroom complicate window coverings. We are renting a house with plantation shutters on the windows and nothing on the transoms. Dawn is pretty darn early in the summer! If you are a late sleeper or need to sleep during the day, consider how to cover the transoms.

  • 8 years ago

    Might want to consider cottage grids. We had planned on Transoms, but they cost a lot more, the Cottage grids broke up the height of the tall windows and gave a similar effect.

  • 8 years ago

    Like ikbom_gw, we opted to ditch the transoms in favor of a grill that has a similar effect:

    (not my windows, but these are a similar grille)

    Transoms amount to paying for a whole extra window.