Software
Houzz Logo Print
tara_leighan

Living room/ dining advice. HELP

8 years ago

We are curreny renting so keep in mind there isn’t anything permanent I can do. I have no idea how to make the huge mirror look any better or how to situate furniture. I have an 18 month old. Ignore any toys ☺️

Okay, brace yourself.‍♀️






Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago
    Do you need all this seating?
  • 8 years ago

    Is the mirror permanent or can it be removed? If the mirror cannot be removed you might hang a big magnolia or leafy wreath on top of the mirror, or.....you can use command invisible hooks and hang all home wall gallery items on the actual mirror using command hooks; center the composition so center of items are 65 inches from the floor. Place large art print over the sofa so bottom of art print in 5-10 inches above back of sofa.

    Center sofa on wall opposite TV with love seat touching one arm and an end table in the resulting space. Place recliner on opposite side of sofa at an angle.....add a floor lamp or matching end table and lamp so ends match. End tables should be level with the arms of the sofa/chair it is sitting next to, and the table lamp should be 28-32 inches, not less than 28 inches tall as it will be too small....avoid Wal-mart and target lamps for this reason.....Lowe's and Home Depot have a good selection of tall lamps in all styles. Add two solid throw pillows using an accent color taken from the art print and put one on the sofa and one on the love seat.

    Purchase another set of curtains and hang them double on the window and pull them apart so the stack back on either side of window 10-12 inches...invest in a curtain rod 1 inch in diameter if you do not have that size already.

    Get more chain and lower the chandelier so the bottom is 30-36 inches from table top.

    Add a green living center piece for the table to add life to room.

    Just some suggestions....good luck and keep us posted.

    It could be fun to hang a fun tiny chandelier at the door entrance and could be removed when you decide to move; easy to take down and put the original one up....aka YouTube.

    You have some lovely pieces and they all seem to work together.


  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I would move recliner facing love seat and get extra lamp to the corner. amd lower your wall art.

    Ohhhhhhhhhh guys! White I was using Photoshop, you did it faster then me. :-))

  • 8 years ago
    I think I would turn the sofas so that they are facing each other and getting rid of the chair all together. That way it divides the living space with dinning. Then add the mirror in the corner so that’s it’s sitting catty-corner so that it give the illusion of the space being bigger. You might even Or sifting the long sofa over towards the window and chairs back facing the window next to the entry door.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    that will not work

  • 8 years ago
    You simply have 1 piece of furniture too many. Can you move the chair or loveseat another room? Can you move the mirror?
  • 8 years ago
    pretty rug
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    She doesn't have 1 piece of furniture too many.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I think Beverly's layout makes the best sense. It will feel more balanced and open up the entry area a bit. If the recliner is just too close to the dining area and IF the tape measure says it would work, you might switch the sofa and loveseat in her plan. (That would NOT be the most visually pleasing, but you can't "grow" the floorspace.) We know the purpose and function of the recliner is to face the TV. You will want to move the table lamp (or a taller one) to the square table at the corner of the sofa and love seat and set the floor lamp and a small round table (chair arm height) between the sofa and the recliner for a tea glass.

    If the sofa stays against the wall, you would want to lower the pic grouping and center it on the sofa.

    If the mirror is attached, just accept that it's there and visually "grows" the space. If the table and chairs feel too cramped beside the recliner, can you scoot them to the left (toward the kitchen, I'm guessing) and put the table flat against the wall? I realize that would leave the ceiling fixture hanging "out to sea." You might want to (temporarily) replace it with a nondescript, close-to-ceiling fixture, so that the light is there but it is visually not calling attention to itself.

    You are probably already aware that it would also feel less crowded in the room if the table just inside the door could go away. I can't tell what's sitting on it, but I'm guessing it's not something you saw an alternate location for.

    FYI, I am NOT an expert. Those are just my thoughts. I think you have a great space and a REALLY great 18-month-old. You are blessed!

    tara_leighan thanked Vicki B
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We like Beverly's layout, however it would be nice to get rid of the mirror if possible in exchange for artwork. Is the mirror able to be removed? If you cannot remove the mirror, perhaps try bringing some color over into the dining area by adding fresh cut flowers in a blue vase.

    Moon Drive Residence · More Info


  • 8 years ago
    Thank you all SO much for the advice. Unfortunately the mirror can not be taken down. So I just need to find some way to make it look like it fits. Beverly you are exactly right! That’s how I put them first actually! But the recliner seemed too close to the table. But I think I’m going to try that again and adjust some things. Thank you for advice.
    I am aware the recliner is not the most appealing piece, but no I can’t get rid of it...18 month old, lots of rocking is done there :). Thanks again.