Software
Houzz Logo Print
wowww

Master Bath design for renovation

13 years ago
Please see attached photo. We are considering installing only one vanity with one sink (vanity 2) and instead of vanity 1, putting a tall armoire there. The bathroom will be done in botticino marble with white fixtures.
Concern is that the armoire is not appropriate size-wise for this size bathroom. Also people mention that one sink in master bath is not enough, especially for re-sale. I'm not concerned with re-sale, especially since everything else will be high end and in "the old days" we did just fine with only one sink. I personally love the idea of the armoire - very warm and casual - towels hanging on open doors... Opinions these matters?

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    First of all I don't have a "yes it flows feeling" with the entire layout, so please play with it more. And one sink should be fine when you have some extra space for make-up and storage. Especially if it's a 60" type of sink (that's already a double)! Plus a mirror should never be opposite a window.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    An armoire would be more 'useful' in the long run, and it looks to be in proportion with the ensuite.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    ?
  • 13 years ago
    The idea about the step-in on the armoire is great! Thanks.

    The problem with making the one vanity suitable for make-up is the loss of storage by having a place to sit.

    To rinqreation: thanks for your comment about the flow. Do you have a suggestion to improve it? We didn't want to spend the extra necessary for moving the plumbing. The vanity that we would keep would be 42", not 60". So there wouldn't be room for a larger sink. In this case I suppose you think the armoire is not a good idea?

    I appreciate everyone's ideas about this.s
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Other ideas I'm just a fan of not seeing the toilet and storage...good luck
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Armoires are very bulky. I know, I have one! I can look at the flow...
  • 13 years ago
    Brian Shelton: Thank you so much for this! I'm just not sure I understand this corner detail that I attached. M/C or N/C, 'not mirrored unless you...' (?) Also, I'm not sure I understand what you drew immediately to the right of the entrance to the bathroom.

    Do I understand correctly that you are saying its better to have a single vanity built into the corner with one large sink even without an armoire?

    Thank you again for drawing this. I want to understand it better!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    M/C = Medicine cabinet. To the right waking into the bath is a linen closet with bifold doors. The left side is toilet taking from your drawing being 3' that's what you were putting there. Should have drawn a line between the vanity and sink as it should be lower...little black spot is vanity seat.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    ...corner angle is to bring yourself into the vanity not a corner....I don't know which is better as far as one sink or two for your needs I just drew a circle for sink hole meaning one reg. size sink. My drawing is to scale from your measurements.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here is a view with a 6' tub, both vanities (these are IKEA Godmorgon 55" floating vanities), and a shortened shower (it is still 51" deep).
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The second view, sorry this didn't load the first time:
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Is there actually a 21" square boxed-in post in the corner of the room? Thanks..
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here is another option: rotate the tub, and have both vanities on the end wall (these are the smaller Godmorgons).
    This works rather well with your space.
  • 13 years ago
    Is it an existing build? New?
    What is there and what not?
    I mean; is it possible to move the plumbing?
    Are you open to other layouts?
  • 13 years ago
    This is why (see picture). The armoire I placed in there isn't very wide (3' max) but the layout would leave plenty of space to walk/stand, no 'backlight' in the mirror, wonderful free space for a tub and a huge shower (4'x5'), double countertop, single sink, but room for a double. And an empty wall for that spacious feel and maybe some hooks for robes or a fancy radiator.