Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathryn_brucia

Help! Can’t pick exterior paint

5 years ago

I am getting my house painted this week and I’m having difficulty picking colors. Our painter used Benjamin Moore paint. I was thinking Revere Pewter for the House, Wedding Veil for Trim and Hale Navy for door and shutters however the Revere Pewter seems too light (Grids in windows will also be painted)

Any suggestions are appreciated! Even if it’s completely different than what I was thinking. I also am confused how to pick a paint color for our deck. Thank you!!!!

Comments (23)

• 5 years ago

Have you tested your samples on a foamcore board already?

Kathryn Brucia thanked apple_pie_order
  • 5 years ago

I think the shutters are too small and need to go. What color is your roof? It looks like it could be burgundy or just gray?

Kathryn Brucia thanked sheloveslayouts
  • 5 years ago

The roof is a brownish Gray.

• 5 years ago

Yes we tested revere pewter. It’s too light. We decided On Indian River with Hale Navy door and shutters (if we keep them) now I’m not sure what to paint the deck

• 5 years ago

No the deck is in the back of the house

• 5 years ago

Photo?

• 5 years ago

The previous owner has the house approx 6 different shades of beige and the treads is the deck are gray? Nothing matches!

• 5 years ago

You might test a sample of Benjamin Moore Stone Hearth. It's a taupe that should play nicely with your existing cream windows as well as any blue door you may choose.

Kathryn Brucia thanked sheloveslayouts
  • 5 years ago

I think that color will not look good with the roof.

I can see it in a red (carriage red) or a vibrant blue.

Deephaven, MN – Cottage completed in 2009 · More Info

Hondros Cottage · More Info

After Second Floor Addition / Exterior Renovation · More Info

I think your house will look better without the shutters.

Kathryn Brucia thanked houssaon
  • 5 years ago

No shutters. Remember to paint the downspouts the same color as the house body. Your foundation shrubs aren't suitable for the space, they will need constant pruning to keep them from touching the house and intruding upon the sidewalk. Consult your local plant nursery for appropriate suggestions.

Kathryn Brucia thanked chiflipper
  • 5 years ago

What are the downspouts ?

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Downspouts run down the side from the gutters above. They should blend with the siding color. The Stone Hearth suggestion looks like a possibility...and could work well with Hale Navy.

Kathryn Brucia thanked chloebud
  • 5 years ago

Also should garage doors be Hale navy or color of the house?

• 5 years ago

And the side panels next to the front door should be the same color as the trim/windows (wedding veil white) or should that also be navy like the door

• PRO
    5 years ago
    I'm ok with the shutters but I prefer a BMW....
  • 5 years ago

Haha yea me too too bad it’s not mine!

• 5 years ago

Kathryn, I would paint the garage doors the same color as the siding. For your front door, maybe Hale Navy for the door and white for the rest so you have something similar to this...

Sorry...you asked about the deck color. My choice would be the Wedding Veil White. The home in the photo I posted has a deck on the back painted white. I don't have a photo but it looks nice.

Kathryn Brucia thanked chloebud
  • 5 years ago

Thank you for all your advice! As you can prob tell I’ve never done this before and I’m sort of overwhelmed by all the options bc I have a hard time visualizing things

• PRO
    5 years ago

Some inspiration

Kathryn Brucia thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • 5 years ago

What are those colors you used

• PRO
    5 years ago

Here is Skyline Steel SW that is close to Revere Pewter BM

• PRO
    5 years ago

You have to get some samples and to see how they look.