Software
Houzz Logo Print
kicez

Unused space in the kitchen

8 years ago

Hello,

I need your advice on how to arrange an unused space under the kitchen window.


Originally I wanted to have the dining table there but eventually changed my mind, because I couldn't stand the constant view of dirty dishes on the counters and in the sink (the dishes and utensils that I had used for cooking - I usually keep my counters clear of clutter).


Now the dining table is between the kitchen and the living room and I am wondering how to use the empty space under the window.


If you want to see more information about the floor plan, please visit: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/playroom-in-place-of-the-living-room-dsvw-vd~5183880


What I miss in my kitchen is a low counter space. As the kitchen comes from Ikea, the countertops are pretty high and are very uncomfortable for kneading etc. A lower space could also be more comfortable for children who often help with the cooking. It could also be a table for crafts, as children tend to do such things on the dining table and it is annoying at meal times.


Another thing that I thought I could have there is a small sofa or a bench with backrest, so children could sit there and read or talk to me while I cook (we homeschool on the dining table, so being able to do that while I cook and at the same time keep an eye contact would be nice!).


The last thing that I miss is a place close to the dining table where I could set up the toaster during breakfasts. The cord would not reach the dining table so a side table or a small buffet (with extra storage for napkins, straws etc.) would be great! But this doesn't have to go under the window nor between the window and the terrace door - maybe it could go by the hearth?


I will attach recent photos of the space in the next post.

Comments (2)