Software
Houzz Logo Print
bex58

HARDIE BOARD OUTSIDE?

13 years ago
I was going to do an outdoor project using hardie board for a temporary fencing material and paint it. However I was told by a contractor that it wasn't meant for that and that what made it strong was the mortar that was applied to it in bathrooms before the tiles were applied so it was not advisable for me to use it in my project. Was this incorrect information, because your project looks
AMAZING!!! I absolutely love everything about it from your use of materials down to your use of color. Congrats. R
Avon Avenue · More Info

Comment (1)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thank you. It sounds like your contractor was referring to Hardie Backer Board which is used for tiling applications. This material is meant for siding. Hardie has standard siding sizes up to 12" or in this case we bought Hardie Panel (4x8 sheets) and ripped them into 2ft strips and then lapped them. Hardie Siding can be used for fencing but it needs to be well supported as it is only 1/4" thick.