Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vevmom

Kitchen sink confusion

Virginia Vidoni
5 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and want a large sink for clean up. This sink needs to be large because we entertain our growing family and friends often and use large pots and pans. It also may be used for some prep work (we both cook together). The island (10 x 4) sink will be used for the major part of the prep cooking. The Island will sometimes have buffet set up for family and friends. I read wonderful things about the Kohler Stages sink and the Galley sink. I like the pricing on the Kohler. We planned on putting the 45inch Kohler for the clean up sink and Galley 33 inch for the prep sink. Here is my confusion made worse by the fact that I haven't seen either of these sinks in person. The 45 inch Kohler has a ledge which makes the sink smaller than 45 inches and I am not certain that this space is right for large pots. The Galley sink would not be larger than 33 inches because the kitchen designer tells me the max space with the current cabinet design is 36inches. Is the Galley at 33 inches big enough to justify the big price. Is the 45 inch Kohler big enough for the clean up job? Should I press the kitchen designer to make room for a bigger island sink? We have waited years to redo this kitchen and I just want to think it all through carefully.

Comments (29)

• Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

The Kohler Stages 45 sink’s basin is huge. It was plenty big enough for me to wash any pot or pan I had. Take a look at the Kohler website for the dimensions and you can measure your pots and pans for yourself. I loved that sink and would gladly choose it again (we have since moved to a house with a new kitchen so no remodels in my immediate future).

Virginia Vidoni thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Although a beautiful sink, I see the 45" Stages more as a (large) prep-style sink with the 12 3/4" ledge. You have about 32" of usable basin. Is there a reason you want your clean-up sink with the ledge? The 33" Galley has the same thing. Why not have your clean-up sink as a full basin? Just curious.

The 33" says it will fit into a 36" base cabinet. Does your plan not have a 36" sink base?

You may want to post a layout of your kitchen for better critique.

Here's your links to the specs.. 45" Stages & 33" Galley

Virginia Vidoni thanked Design Loft Bracebridge
  • Sue 430
    5 years ago

I can't imagine any pans not fitting in a 45" sink! I have a 26" ledge sink and can fit every single pan, cookie sheet etc in there. Design loft does have a point wondering if you really want a ledge sink just for clean up. Not sure what you would need the ledge for if you have the galley sink for prep?

• Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

That is a good point. The stages 45 was my only sink. I did use the shelf some in cleaning as it made it easier to scrub the frying pan. But the ledges and accessories are really meant for Prep related tasks. You can find something cheaper for a clean up sink.

• Tsering Dolkar Sherpa
    5 years ago
    I am going through the same dilemma. I have a julien single bowl sink that is 36” wide ( the bowl size ) and it looks ginormous. I love how wide this is because I can wash cookie sheet and big pots and pans without making any mess!
    My cabinets are RTA ( 36”sink cabinet, that was the largest they carried) and the cabinet people said that sides of the cabinet will need to be cut to make this sink fit.
    *My iPhone charger adaptor for scale
    Virginia Vidoni thanked Tsering Dolkar Sherpa
  • chispa
    5 years ago

vevmom, why not go to a few appliance/kitchen/plumbing supply stores and look at some large sinks. It doesn't have to be the exact brand, just large sinks for you to get a perspective on the size. Bring a few of you pots and pans and place them in the displays.

I have a 30" Julien main sink and an 18" Julien island sink. Plenty of prep and clean up space for a "normal" household.

Virginia Vidoni thanked chispa
  • Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am going to look for a kitchen supply place that carries these sinks or similar sinks to get a better idea of what the space looks like. Today we finalized our appliances so now I have more time to consider sinks and take into account all I am learning here.

• suzanne_sl
    5 years ago

I have had the Kohler Stages 45 for about 2.5 years now and love it; HOWEVER, I'm not sure that's your best choice for mostly clean-up. It's plenty big enough, but its starring role is as a prep sink. It's my only sink, so I love it for both, but if I were using it for primarily clean up, I'd look at something else.

In our previous kitchen we had a Kraus 33" sink (no room for the Kohler 45) and it was great for clean up; all the pots, pans, cookie sheets fit just fine. A lot less expensive too. Save the $$$ for the fancy sink where it really mattes.

• Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks!!! I am still so up in the air about it, because we both cook and we can only fit a 33inch on the island. Do you find it is noisy? I had some comments about the noise.

• Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I also thought that the sink area in the Kohler would be about 33 inches. Am I thinking correctly about this?

• wiscokid
    5 years ago

Sorry to threadjack, but @bbtrix how is your countertop holding up around the sink? Still loving the Waterlox?

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

It’s holding up well despite the abuse! My DH is not at all careful and does all cleanup. We have a ton of large cast iron and All Clad and he clanks them around. Had we kept the marble island I’m sure it would be chipped severely. It’s showing some wear from pots on the inside sink edge. No water related issues though, just dings. The 3rd and 4th pics above were taken today. Still very happy with my choices.

Virginia Vidoni thanked bbtrix
  • Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much bbtrix!! I love seeing the pictures!!! We are pretty messy cooks and also keep things in a draining board so I like that option. I wish we were the kind of people that quickly dry and put pots away, but mostly they air dry. I feel much better after hearing from you and your appreciation of this sink. It looks really great. Right now we have a chipped porcelain sink with two bowl, neither big enough to do a good clean up. Can't wait to get this project going. We are still in the planning stage. Although today we finalized our choices of appliances. We are gutting the kitchen, taking out a wall and redesigning everything. I am VERY excited, even though it feels like we are on a financial avalanche with our desires!!!!

• Sammy
    5 years ago

Bbtrix: In case I haven’t said so before, what a GORGEOUS island you have there!

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

Thank you Sammy!

Vevmom, have you done a search of the forum on the Stages and Galley? There have been lots of great discussions of how they are used and integrated. I think it will be helpful for you to read about real life experiences. You have an exciting time coming up. We also gutted and took down walls. It’s amazing to experience how the space changes. Have you posted your design on another thread?

• Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We are removing a half wall that houses our double ovens and many of our upper and lower cabinets. On the other side of this wall was a small sunny sitting area and our kitchen table and buffet. When the wall comes down, it will give us a space of 24 by 24. We are having a large island and a wall of cabinets with a beverage center and also double ovens on a wall that formally held the desk (piled with mail and junk) a bench (often piled with whatever our adult children have in their hands when they come to visit), and a pantry closet.

I wish I knew how to post our design. I will have to figure it out. We are meeting our designer on Monday to go over cabinet design and cabinet choice. and I think we will have everything finalized by October sometime and hopefully started after the holidays. I have read discussions which come up when I search Kohler Stages and Galley sinks. Is that what you mean? Should I be looking at other info?

The houzz discussions have taught me so much. Thanks again for all your help on this exciting project!!

• Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

You can always just take a picture of your plan and post that.

• Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great idea. Where do I post it? Under kitchens?

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

Yes, that’s what I meant regarding search. 24 x 24 is a great space to work with. Yes, post it under kitchens.

• Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks!!

• Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi bbtrix! Was wondering what faucet that is and whether you like it? I haven't started looking at faucets yet. Tomorrow we look at cabinets. It really is a kitchen avalanche of excitement and money!!!

• Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just saw that the faucet is the Karbon by Kohler. Do you like it? Does one faucet work for the entire sink? I notice that the sink is shown with two faucets which seem like overkill to me, but I have no idea how they work.

• Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just read more more a posting you did previously about the faucet and I noticed you have Danby marble!!! We are also thinking of Danby for our kitchen! I have a piece of Danby that we have been "practicing" with for several months. My husband is pretty nonchalant about what he puts on the counter, so this has been a good practice for us!

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

Yes, it’s the Kohler Karbon and the stream reaches the entire sink. I do love it. It’s very different from a pull down but I prefer it for prep because I can position it and use it hands free. Two would have been a nice luxury for me since I only have one sink and lots of competition for the faucet but for you I believe one faucet for each sink is fine since you’ll have three sinks. You may want to mix it up and have different faucets. My daughter prefers her pull down for cleanup though I love my Karbon especially for prep.

• Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you!! Your wood countertop is absolutely gorgeous!!!! Your kitchen is beautiful!! How do you like your Danby?

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

My husband is still nonchalant about what he puts on the counter even after 4 years of training!! Old dogs and new tricks, you know! He’s really bad about lemons and limes in spite of my nagging. It’s held up well though. The etching is not bad at all and so difficult to find. You have to search to see with the light just right.

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

I love the Danby. It’s such a beautiful surface. I only have one tiny chip where my daughter dropped a heavy glass. The glass shattered and left a tiny divet in the marble. I’m a hopeless marble lover. My sis has Carerra and Calacutta throughout her home and im in love when I visit. It really touches my senses. I’m sure you’ve found tons of info on marble here and are reading the pros and cons. It all depends on what you love and what you can tolerate.

• Virginia Vidoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you!! I have been reading a ton! Yes, I am aware of the challenge. We have looked at other options, but I too, am a hopeless marble lover and believe it will be OK for us because neither of us are perfectionists but love the look of honed marble. Still haven't made 100% decision about it, but no matter what we look at, we keep coming back to Danby. Our sample practice piece also has a small chip in it. Part of my reasoning for my sink search is to save the marble from so much prep. Thank you so much for all your help!