Software
Houzz Logo Print
timerabbit

Technique for spraying tenacity

8 years ago

Tomorrow I am spraying tenacity and dropping seed I have my rate for the Tenacity figured at 1.1 tsp for the 2000 square foot area I will be spraying. I have a 2 gal sprayer I am not sure if I can move fast enough to cover 2000 square feet with 2 gallons. Should I split the 1.1 tsp into 4 or 8 gallons. I have never done anything like this before so I am looking for techniques how, why, what your looking for while spraying. A good video link would helpful too.

Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago

    I have used tenacity for bent grass. Are you sure that you can spread seed right after spraying? I was under the impression that you had to wait 6 weeks because of the herbicide. I use 1 tsp per 2 gallons and just make more if needed.

    timerabbit thanked sunsb
  • 8 years ago

    sunsb

    Yes as far as I know you can use tenacity at seed down. Disclaimer I am no expert I am aspiring to rookie.

    daniel

    Some very helpful advice there I will practice with water. The wetting of the ground is what I was concerned with 2 gal for 2000 square feet may not wet the ground enough for me to tell what's going on . A practice run should tell me what it's gonna take .

    Thank you.


  • 8 years ago

    It probably won' wet enough but you won't know for sure until you try. The tire marks will work as a back up plan. Let us know how it goes. There is no problem putting Tenacity down when you seed. That's the revolutionary thing about it. It prevents weeds, not grass. Just google it if you aren't sure. Many people do it.

    timerabbit thanked danielj_2009
  • 8 years ago

    Tenacity might the only herbicide that you can spread while overseeding or reseeding. I just killed a bunch of bent grass and once I removed all the dead stuff I reseeded and sprayed the bare dirt. Seedlings came out fine.

    timerabbit thanked z t
  • 8 years ago

    Tenacity's fine to use at seeding of northern grasses, it'll act as a minor pre-emergent for 30 days or so. Sprouting grasses may be pale to almost white, but that'll correct itself.

    I'd also recommend a sprayer tracker when spraying, if possible.

    I don't recommend brands, but this happened to appear when I searched on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Monterey-Control-Marking-Locater-Solution/dp/B000OWB2PQ

    You can certainly pick up any sprayer tracker at any big box store or your local Tractor Supply and it'll be just fine.

    timerabbit thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    I have picked up a marker dye and will make a practice run with straight water so far my plan is set for this operation thanks to the help from the kind people on this forum. I have just posted another rookie question if anybody's interested your input is very much appreciated.

  • 8 years ago

    Just don't do your water test with dye in the water, of course.

  • 8 years ago

    Ya man seed down Tenacity down. Practice was the key everything went very well with the amazing help from this forum.

    In my practice run I found that with 2 gallons of water I could make 2 passes and a pass around the perimeter. I was moving quite quickly but could still see the water was getting good coverage. In the Tenacity run I did add the dye it really helped with precision and my confidence in an even coverage.

    I can thank you all enough for your fast and helpful advice.

  • 8 years ago

    Anybody have success using tenacity for poa annua? I want to spray soon to kill the seeds but I'm not sure if it works for that. I really dont want to put down a pre emergent because I want to try something new called dormant overseeding. Spreading seed in the late fall. The snow pushes the seed down and the moist ground and weather in the spring germinates it.

  • 8 years ago

    Yes, I've used it to take out P. annua, but i've had the best luck with that in June just before the heat hits.

    Still, with repeated apps, you can kill it now--and Tenacity will act as a good pre-M for it in fall when it sprouts!

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks @morpheuspa, do the seed heads look worse or the bleaching in the lawn after using it in June. I wish they had a granular version of this stuff. Also the past week I have noticed some seed heads popping up. Does annua come up late summer too when the heat subsides?

  • 8 years ago

    Unfortunately, the only granular form I know of is with starter fertilizer. On a per application basis, it is much more expensive than the spray. I think once the spray becomes rainfast on the topgrowth, I am doubtful it has much pre-emergent effect. That's why I would recommend spraying just as it's raining or during a rain if you want Tenacity as a pre-emergent--or use the granular. On a new seed, it probably doesn't make much difference because the soil is so exposed but when spraying existing turf, it probably does.