Software
Houzz Logo Print
ana_kinra

Looking for Sculpture to Wall-Mount

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago



Gold Branch I' Wall Décor by John-Richard https://www.perigold.com/decor/pdp/john-richard-gold-branch-i-wall-decor-mksq2110.html



I'm nearly finished decorating our new apartment, mostly with original artwork. There is one stretch of wall to the right of the entryway closet that remains empty, however. I'd like to hang something truly unique and eye-catching there. No paintings, no tapestries. I had been wondering if a small sculpture would work and came across this piece housed in acrylic. The width is about 15" which, if one goes by the 3/8th rule, would be ideal for the 42" wall indicated by the arrow. There would be nothing on the floor "anchoring" this sculpture.

Does anyone have experience hanging unique wall accents like this and, if so, how did it turn out? Computer renderings, in my experience, usually fall woefully short of giving one a sense of what the piece and the space will look like afterwards.

Comments (10)

  • 8 years ago

    To add to my original post, I purchased this decorative glass sphere with base and housed it in an acrylic display box. I was looking for an object like this after seeing Leonardo da Vinci’s “Salvator Mundi” and being struck by the sphere symbolizing Christ’s dominion over all life. Unfortunately, the only place I could display it was atop the kitchen cabinets, an odd location.

    In a more general sense, I’d be grateful for any input regarding concepts such as whether art in common areas should all be of the same genre, or if art of different genres can help differentiate areas in an open floorplan etc.

  • 8 years ago

    A question. Can you hang it to the left of the door, so it won't be behind the door?

    Ana Kinra thanked tqtqtbw
  • 8 years ago


    The wall to the left of the door is much larger and so I hung a large canvas artwork there. The wall to the right measures only about 42 inches wide so a display that measures 15 inches wide seems more proportional.


    On an unrelated note, are you familiar at all with the concept of “anchoring” a piece of artwork by placing something on the floor underneath?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes. On my wall, in black metal, is the word "Music" with the "s" a treble clef. I found this for a few dollars at a thrift store and cleaned and repainted it.

    My sister, in her youth, liked to create wire art and still has a number of them in deep box frames on her wall.

    I also have a large (foot long) heavy logging hook -- think .. thick, giant really heavy -- at least ten pounds -- fishhook shape -- hanging on a bracket on my wall … it was used by my late husband when he operated a sawmill and by his father before him.

    Don't just fill this empty space; instead, consider this an opportunity to find art -- metal or otherwise -- that "speaks" to you, reflects your interest or has some meaning to you.

    Google metal wall art.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=metal+wall+art&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjet4TnioTdAhXIMd8KHemsBN0Q_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=650

    Ana Kinra thanked suezbell
  • 8 years ago

    There is only one rule with art and that is to have in your space only pieces that you truly love and that speak to you. The most interesting rooms have different genres of art in the same space. Uniformity is not a virtue in that respect. Art should reflect you, and that will always make a room exciting, even to other people. There's nothing worse than a room that looks perfect and yet has no personality at all.

    Ana Kinra thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    I agree that having different genres of art in the same space can sometimes work. But I’ve seen instances where the result looked chaotic and gave off a disorganized vibe.

    Also, I wouldn’t say that someone who collects, let’s say, Impressionist art and decorates their home with their collection has a home devoid of personality by default.

    What I have tried to do is strategically place the art we have in such a way that there’s a natural flow as one walks from one part of the home to another. I suppose that’s a reflection of one aspect of my personality.

  • 8 years ago

    On another note, I do have family heirlooms which I think would look wonderful on display in our common areas. But we have kids and the thought of, say, my grandfather’s gold pocket watch getting damaged I have to admit terrifies me. There are some things which carry such significance that I feel the need to keep them protected. I even found a safe for sale on Amazon and am thinking of getting it to store these irreplaceable items. This too is undoubtedly a reflection of my personality.

  • 8 years ago

    tqtqtbw - I appreciate your comments on this and other posts. Do you work in interior design or is it a hobby as it is for me (in my case very much an amateur hobby)? Thank you again!

  • 8 years ago

    Those many years of interest certainly come across. We recently bought our first home and it seems that was the catalyst that started my new found interest in design. I’ve picked up a few books on the topic and networked as much as I can. But getting advice and seeing examples from people who truly know their stuff is both humbling and inspiring. Thank you again!