Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlotte_tang

Balcony ideas: Artificial plants for rainy cold Seattle winters?

Charlotte Tang
5 years ago

Hey guys! Our master bedroom has a small balcony and faces an ugly utility box pole as well as is pretty exposed to street view. I'm really considering making it a greenery oasis to block out the view and prying eyes—but with some light filtering. With our Seattle winters being rainy and somewhat chilly, I'm considering going with artificial plants. Do you guys have thoughts or ideas on that?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I certainly would never say go fake plants. There are lots of plants that love rainy weather and if you want an oasis fake greenery is not the right way to go. Go to a garden center and see what you can plant that is evergreen and i would be there are lots for the Seattle area, then during the different seasons add some color .

• lake lover
    5 years ago

I agree. Can't love the artificial plant idea. I would include a structure if you are trying to block that pole like a trellis or lattice and then soften that with plants that will survive cold rainy winters.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Consider a wood planter with a trellis and actual English Ivy if it would grow in your planting zone year round.

Would not want fake flowers, however, artificial ivy might be worth considering to hide that utility box and provide a bit of privacy without fully blocking the window and natural light:

https://www.hooksandlattice.com/silk-ivy-trellis.html.

• Charlotte Tang
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh wow, I LOVE the idea of the wooden slat boxes and native grasses. Do you know where I could get the wooden slat planters?

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

Hayneedle.com has nice planters... check out the “Belham” slat wood planter, nice size

• chloebud
    5 years ago

So many pretty live plants for you in Seattle!

• Paul MI
    5 years ago

The OP's challenge may be finding evergreen plants that will survive the winters. Having something that dies back to bare branches during the winter will negate privacy during that period. That said, I fully agree to do some research both online and at professional nurseries -- do NOT rely on folks working at HD or Lowes.

While ivy looks nice, it is also highly invasive in many areas. (Check with your local univerisity or county extension offices to find out if it is a problem plant in your area.)

A trellis has strong possibilites. For summer greenery and flowers, you could check to see if there are clematis which would survive the winter on your balcony. Otherwise, you might have to look at annual vines to train up the trellis for summer interest. For the winter, you could consider decorating the trellis with seasonal items -- either artificial or not -- such as dry cornstalks + small pumpkins/gourds for autumn, and evergreen boughs or wreaths for winter.

In addition to the trellis idea, if your balcony has the space, I'd say consider checking into a large planter with an evergreen tree/shrub. I would expect there will be ones available in your area that would survive your winters.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

someone could make those for you as well...

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Native plants in boxes may do well with a little shelter in the cold winters. Some people do like to stick in a few silk flowers around March or so. Daffodils, forsythia, redbud all can look pretty natural. The key is that the fakes look as plausible as the real thing in that location (not tropical orchids in mid winter Seattle), just a bit earlier than the real things will bloom.

In the days before digital photography, I saw set decorators for commercials hand wire the "right color" roses to plants so they'd match the color of the car being advertised.

• PRO
    UpScapers - Authorized Vistafolia Partner
    3 years ago

Real plant walls require a lot of sunlight and expensive irrigation systems, not to mention pruning and soil all over the place. VistaFolia offers everything you can get with real plants without all the mess. A lot of our clients are moving to use our artificial green walls as privacy screens and they can be custom built to size of shape.

upscapers

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!