0

Filtered Afternoon Sun for Mature Azalea?

1818 Federal
September 3, 2018
What should i consider in moving 2 mature azaleas? They are the traditional ones - about 20 yrs old, were my moms. The spot I've scouted is around these 2 camelia. This location gets off/on AFTERNOON sun starting around 2pm. There is some wind buffer from the 7ft feence as well as the carport.

Since azalea and camelia are companions, I've noticed the camelia regrowing quickly since they were moved there 18 months ago (Spring 2017). They were pruned 1/3 before transplant. The pic is only 4-6 months after transplant. Now, a year later, the foliage is denser and darker green. Like the azaleas, they WERE getting 2-4 hrs of direct afternoon sun. it's at least filtered here. and a location were we can regularly see them.

Any special preparations? I'd like to begin preparing for a late September transplant.

thanks for your expertise!

• akamainegrower

If anything, the new location should be better than the current one. Filtered sun is generally better than direct, bright sun, especially in the afternoon when temperatures are higher and humidity levels lower. Azalea colors, especially pastel ones, will look better with some shade and will also last longer. Azaleas are easy to move and require only that you prepare the new planting area well in advance and keep the roots shaded and moist until the planting is completed. Then just make sure to provide adequate moisture.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It is now known that top pruning to compensate for root loss during transplanting is a misguided practice and is no longer recommended. As a matter of fact, it is the roots that may benefit from pruning and not the top.

Good luck with the azaleas; looks like a good location!

• 1818 Federal
    interesting not on prunibg. thanks all! I'll begin getting that mulch layer moved, hole dug, and soil amended!
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

It also is generally not recommended to amend the soil since the change in soil texture can interfere with water movement. You either tend to get a bath tub effect or the root ball remains dry, depending on what the original soil was like and how much moisture is available. If you are concerned about the original soil quality, dig a shallow hole, plant a bit higher than the original, backfill with original soil and then add supplements and mulch on top of the soil surface.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

And as far as moving the azaleas, they tend to have relatively shallow roots, so dig wide but not deeper than needed, have a tarp available to put the root disk onto, and don’t leave roots exposed for any longer than needed. Having the planting site prepped ahead of time is perfect. Water to settle soil around roots and then mulch. Keep an eye on water and keep them moist without being soggy. Use your fingers a few inches down to check moisture.

Not pruning means the plant has more leaves to create food for new root growth. If it looks limp after transplant, rig a tarp or similar to give it full shade while it adjusts.

• 1818 Federal
    @NHBabs - makes sense. will do!
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Adding that if I want to amend soil, I do the entire bed at once before planting. Otherwise I add to the surface.

1818 Federal thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH