Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

Combined Topics?

8 years ago

Has Houzz, in its infinite wisdom, eliminated the Antiques/Austins forum, and combined it with "Roses?"

Comments (20)

  • 8 years ago

    I'm still in Antiques. I don't have much interest in HTs. Why would they care if we have our own forum? I'm in the camp of houzz having bad IT skills, rather than bad intent, but what do I know? I have not tried to start a thread today.

  • 8 years ago

    Not that I can see. Are you referring to many posts showing up in both forums, or do you not see the Antique Rose forum at all? I started a post this morning, and even though the roses I pictured are all either OGRs or David Austins,(so far) I chose both “Antique Roses” and “Roses” when I was asked to choose the forums I wanted it posted under. I did this for two reasons. For one I grow many different roses, and might add some modern roses to my post. Also, let’s face it. Unfortunately, things are quite a bit slower than than they used to be here. Lisa

  • 8 years ago

    No, they have not - the Antiques forum is still alive and well, and there is still a separate "roses" forum. What is new is that, if you want to, you can post to both of them at once, which I just find confusing.

    Jackie

  • 8 years ago

    There's no reason at all to post to both at once. But I am seeing posts about fairly new Hybrid Tea Roses, and they are all posted to both "ROSES" and "ANTIQUE ROSES" (That title no longer says Austins and Antiques.)

    I don't mean to sound crabby, but if I wanted to study modern HTs, "Antiques" is not where I would come. But it sure looks to me as tho the aim is to combine them.

  • 8 years ago

    I bet it is the desire to share on the part of the HT lovers, after Houzz offered the multiple forum posting options, Jeri. I have done the reverse with posting to Antiques and Roses just in case anyone was interested in Roses. I can see now, Jeri, I might be irritating the Roses people following your comment.

  • 8 years ago

    Guilty as charged. I’ll be sure to separate my Antiques/DA’s from my Modern Roses in different posts. No big deal and no hard feelings:). Lisa

  • 8 years ago

    No guilt intended. But really -- I'm not interested in wading through information re. Modern HTs. (In fact, that's my only real complaint re. the Garden.org forum. Most of it is moderns.)

    I don't think Houzz did us any favors with this cross-posting thing. (Among other things they've done to sabotage the thing.)

  • 8 years ago

    I agree the cross posting did not add. I am going to stop.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    So to be clear, this forum is just for those Roses bred before La France, and David Austin's? What about the early hybrid teas, the Pernetianas, and the hybrid musk's? I used to double post because sometimes people in the modern section also grow old roses but might not look in the old section to see my question. Also, it introduced people to the old Roses. At that time there were related topics at the top of my page so it was easy to see all of the Rose forums, but that is not the case any longer. In addition, there is no longer an easily accessible FAQ page for each topic that shows for all the computers I use. They are only visible on my phone all lumped together at the end of the topics. So one has to choose those as a topic to follow. Stupid!

    I'm happy to oblige with whatever guidelines were meant when originally setting up this forum. I think the Reddit site is now the only Forum dedicated to antique roses, but it isn't getting much traffic, unfortunately.

  • 8 years ago

    As far as I'm concerned, "Antiques" covers all that stuff. I don't necessarily follow ARS's rules. :-)

    And if someone accidentally posts a more modern rose, who cares? But cross-posting ends up meaning the same things are duplicated on both forums, and that doesn't seem to be a good idea.

    Austins, btw, used to be part of this forum. Why did Houzz remove that from the title?

  • 8 years ago

    Why do they do anything, Jeri?

  • 8 years ago

    I still see it whenever I access this forum... this is what I get, and it's always been this as far as I know.. it's strange that some of us see different things, I don't get why that happens..

    Antique Roses Forum

    This forum is for discussion of antique, Austin and old garden roses. There is also a separate, more general, Rose Forum.


    I don't post that often now but I do use other forums, i.e. Gardening in the UK and Roses as well, and sometimes include all 3... I prefer as much outreach as possible, otherwise it becomes a rather closed or isolated community of just a few people, and in the last couple of years mostly warm climate gardeners in California or Florida... just an observation on my part, as it's nothing to do with me.. but I'd like to think that if someone, somewhere, anywhere, just one person, sees a photo of a rose I've put up, and says ''I want that''.. then I'm happy.... so the more the merrier..

    I do notice we're getting a lot of 'Perennial' forum threads lately... It's up to individual members surely to make sure their posts go to the right place, before submitting..

    As long as I don't send them to 'The Kitchen Table' or 'The Laundry Room'.. then I'm not too bothered...



  • 8 years ago

    I guess that was part of my impetus also... to reach those that may not know about antique roses or even Austin's.

  • 8 years ago

    Yes vaporvac, that's how I see it too... for example, I've got roses in my garden now that I never knew about until I saw photos of them on these forums.. Antiques or Roses, grown by people who live thousands of miles away from where I am... one example 'Mme. Antoine Mari'... yes it's been available here a long time, but I only noticed it when I saw it mentioned here so often... now it's one of my very best roses... that's what I call 'outreach'... and I think that's important, if it interests someone in roses, or a particular rose, that they may never have heard of before..

    If the only discussions here are about roses like say for example ''Flamingo Gardens Tea''... then it's going to be of relevance to only a very few people... interesting in itself, but very limited...


  • 8 years ago

    There are two related, but actually separate issues here. One is what, exactly, is on topic for a particular forum. The other is the effect the crossposting, as implemented by Houzz, has on the separate forums. Houzz apparently does not care that the Gardenweb forums are separate communities. So that it has made perfect sense for someone who considers Antique Roses to be their primary, home community to post questions about companion plants, soil building, or sources for good pizza recipes in this forum. The crossposting introduces different people and mindsets into forums without those people necessarily being aware of it. It seems to be designed to help drive-by posters get the most bang for their minute of typing. However, there has to be some benefit for the experts who answer those posts in hanging around. What that has often been here is a sense of community. And I haven't even mentioned the issue that since the Antique forum moves more slowly than the Rose forum, it is fairly common for cross-posted threads to be at the top of the Antique forum. This is annoying because I have already either read them or decided not to read them, and I don't need to see them again.


  • 8 years ago

    Well, I totally agree with that issue of seeing a post a zillion times on different forums. Perhaps I'll keep my "antiques" here and if I think it will interest anyone on roses just do a repeat post so the answers are separate, but then that loses half the input. I guess my real beef with cross posting is finding people from the landscaping forums suggesting ripping out all the rose! (exaggeration, but not by much! : )0. At least here we all love roses even if we disagree what makes the perfect one. Some people don't like singles, or certain foliage or thorns or non-fragrant ones.....Perhaps I'll just try to be more aware about posting anything obviously modern on the antique forum. Whew! I'm glad we're hashing this out.

  • 8 years ago

    I feel we in the Antique Rose community need to stick together since we are in a minority in a HT world. Not really being interested in HTs, I do find an Antiques Forum really a rare treasure. The HT folks might feel the same way in reverse, and get irritated by off topic posts. The reddit site looked clean and elegant to me , but the photo posting sounded difficult, which matters to me.

  • 8 years ago

    I know, Sheila. That was my issue with the site. I guess I should try to see if I can post directly. Yeah, I only have a couple of HTs and they don't really look good in my landscape. I'm hoping to move them to a place reserved for cutting.However, some of the other roses do interest me. I need to focus!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    In reading this post and its comments again this morning, I had to chuckle a bit. No, I’m not laughing at a particular comment, or person. I’m laughing because this post is one that probably WOULD be a good candidate for posting on multiple forums:). Lisa