Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_morabito

Spin the foyer of my 1913 elementary school loft into a wine bar

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
I own one of the most unique and the largest of 30 units - 1700sqft, 2-story, 2BR/2.5BA, with 30ft ceilings – the auditorium entry and foyer, and old projector room above. Foyer entry doors are cool, but foyer is a lot of wasted valuable space. I’m also trying to reclaim some lost market value by making foyer a wine bar. Love this idea I found on Houzz (last photo) and have some questions.

I found the wall-mounted wine racks for the wall, a long counter-height table, and considering installing banquette seating/storage under wine racks. Table chairs across from banquette are future TBD.
Not sure what color to paint walls (behind wine racks, on wall with 2 dark doors, and window wall.
The stone wall goes well with the room’s theme. It will be on the wall with 2 sets of original aud doors. Any suggestions for a cost effective stone or faux stone application for this wall? I did not care for local hardware store products – and were pricy.
Some kind of partition, or split sliding door, or drapery, (or auditorium curtain if it doesn’t look stupid or gimmicky) between front foyer / wine bar and main living area.
Finally, I have 2 small dogs that sit all day on top of an old cabinet against windows 3 feet off the floor. I need a cabinet/console/etc to store wine glasses. Can double up as large seat for dogs. (Hey, they behave all day while I’m at work if they can just look out a window). Would need something to act as a step stool to get up on cab, but don’t want a cheesy “pet stool” so I really could use some creative suggestions for stemware storage, and pet perch / access.
I intend to enjoy this room, but main objective is add value for future buyer and prepare to sell in 2 years. Today’s sales price would be $100K lower than what I paid, and I’d like to reduce any overall loss as much as possible. Will share any suggestions with professional I am working with! Thank you!

Comments (3)

  • 13 years ago
    a few more photos
  • 12 years ago
    Hey Jeff. What an amazing, beautiful space. I am not quite sure what you wish to do but I would suggest you not make the first room as you enter a wine bar/lounge area. You will get no jump in your property value at the time of future sale because folks want to buy a home and not a giant man cave. Plus there may be some issues regarding the HVAC ductwork and how it criss-crosses the space. Also you may want to rethink keeping all the original gym doors. Unless they are historical and cannot be changed, maybe you can remove the two farthest and convert to windows and the two centers can be reconfigured in to one grand entrance door with some spectacular side lights. Then maybe you could invest in blue stone flooring for the entrance. Or if you like the tiles you have then a grand entry carpet (Maybe Sisal with a simple border on it). As for faux stone? There is no application that will be budge friendly, unless you try to go for the veneer which is just engineered stone (or real) on a shallow profile that you can buy in sheets. Still pricey (with installation). My point is not to commit to something you won't get bang for your buck on if you decide to pull up stakes and sell. Good luck.
  • 12 years ago
    Fantastic space indeed. Putting a huge wine bar in will be cool, but I agree with Christine in that it will severely limit the types of buyers who might be interested. Using the space as a huge dining area would be great as it looks like you don't have that option otherwise, but again, like Christine, I wonder who would want to walk straight into a dining room if the foyer doors are actually your front doors? If you're serious about resale I'd do one of 2 things. Convert half the foyer into a bedroom - ideally the half where the dogs like to sit at the window. You'll then be left with a still sizeable foyer entry area where you could for instance apply a sports theme as a real talking point, and the extra bedroom will certainly help with valuations. Alternatively, move your current lounge to the foyer area - you can effectively tie in 2 sitting areas given the space and maximise the industrial vibe with the existing pipework (and again tie in a sports them - one end with TV and sports memorabilia and the other area a quiet/restful zone. Then I'd use your existing lounge area as a fabulous dining area, which means you can work in the kitchen with guests at the table right by - given the whole space screams to be entertained in, this could be more effective use of the space? You have lovely "warm" colors in the current kitchen/lounge area - personally I would leave the foyer flooring as is, but pick up some of the darker colors from it for the walls, ducting and doors - there seems to be enough natural light to make this work well. Good luck!