Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_kulp

how to warm up kitchen

8 years ago
Hey y’all. We just finished our new kitchen (minus the backsplash). It feels a little too cold for me (too gray I guess with the counters and stainless steel). I’ve attached two pictures the one is the backsplash where the square tile will run in a diamond shape under the hood and have white subway surrounding it going around the perimeter of the countertops.

How do I add some warmth to this kitchen?

Comments (80)

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Some looks
    Lindsey Kulp thanked Flo Mangan
  • 8 years ago

    I dont understand some of the suggestions. I don’t know anybody who would entirely redo a brand new, well built kitchen. This only needs and calls for “tweaking”.

    Lindsey Kulp thanked bossyvossy
  • 8 years ago

    You have a gray scale kitchen. You need to thoughtfully add color. Keeping the backsplash is penny wise and pound foolish if your goal really is to warm up the space. You will spend more money compensating for it. It is a great kitchen, no question about that. But it is not warm and it’s not sleek and modern. Too much gray, not enough contrast.

    Lindsey Kulp thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The intent was a "rustic, vintage, charming look".

    The materials chosen were:
    Dark flooring
    White cabinets & trim
    Gray paint
    Stainless steel appliances & featured hood
    Gray concrete-look countertops
    Clear glass & black pendants
    Dark sink

    This sounds like another cautionary tale for the importance of Kitchen Design help.

    Against the advice provided in this thread there is a stated intent to add even MORE stainless with the tile choice.

    There are some lovely warmer kitchens in the OPs ideabooks:
    https://www.gardenweb.com/ideabooks/97427265/list/kitchen

    Notice what makes those warmer.

    Lindsey Kulp thanked THOR, Son of ODIN
  • 8 years ago

    You need to read this oldie but goodie. Scroll down for the pictures missing from the original post.


    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/getting-there-from-here-or-how-did-it-go-so-wrong-dsvw-vd~2699586


    Nothing you have chosen really fits your mission statement. It’s almost all exactly opposite in fact. You need to revise many selections here. Or revise your mission statement.

    Lindsey Kulp thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Looking at OP's ideabook that Lena M linked to, OP's current kitchen isn't that far off from what she actually likes. None of looks like what the words "vintage" or "charming" call to my mind, so maybe there's just a semantics issue causing confusion here. In my own words and based entirely on the ideabook, I'd say OP's style is more like Fixer Upper's style minus any shiplap and sometimes veering a little transitional.


    Regardless of what you call the style, these elements are consistent across the ideabook:
    1) White cabinets - usually shaker, slab, or something else simple with non-ornate, non-curvy detailing

    2) Grey or white counters with very little movement/detailing

    3) White tile back splash - all variations on subway

    4) Simple, contemporary, stainless hood

    5) Stainless appliances

    6) Medium hardwood floors

    7) Frequent presence of glass cabinets

    8) Frequent presence of slight industrial details - steel/wrought iron light fixtures, iron shelf brackets, concrete-looking counters, etc.

    9) Black accents

    10) Silver hardware (and if not silver, black)

    11) The only colors are grey, white, black, and some wood.


    OP has installed cabinets, counters, and appliances true to this list. She has deviated most strongly from the list in the floor, installing something much darker and sleeker than the floor all but one the ideabook pictures. I suspect that deviation is a lot of why she's not happy with the warmth level here, and I think swapping the dark floor for a medium-tone one would most directly solve her dissatisfaction.


    That said, floors are super expensive to change, and it looks as if that one was only just installed. It seems unlikely that she'll change that. However, she does have exactly one ideabook picture with a floor like what OP's kitchen currently has:



    So it is clearly possible to give OP something she likes even with these floors. So what elements are in this inspiration kitchen that OP's kitchen doesn't yet have? I see:


    1) Black windows (or just black accents)

    2) White, rustic-looking tile

    3) Glass cabinets

    4) Plants

    So here's an idea. This is the current kitchen:



    After:



    1) I swapped out the windows for black, more industrial-looking ones. This would be even more impactful if OP also planted something colorful outside the windows. This is the most expensive of the changes here, but it makes a huge difference and shouldn't be TOO bad in terms of expense/bother since the backsplash is not yet installed.


    Windows like these are something OP consistently likes (they appear in a few of the ideabook images). The black windows also tip this kitchen from being your average new grey/white kitchen to something distinctly in OP's style - more rustic/industrial. They also make the focal wall more dramatic, add a bit of pattern to the space (so it's not all flat, solids), and the windows repeat black accents for the third time in the room (the cooktop and the light fixture hardware are also black), which tips the black from a coincidence (two times) to a pattern (3+ times) and therefore makes the black accents seem more intentional and like a real, elemental, present part of the design.


    2) I nixed OP's current backsplash plan (which would be another massive deviation from the ideabook vision) and instead used the same rustic white tile as in the inspiration photo above.


    3) I accessorized with green plants (on the window sills and in a vase) and also did some medium wood tones (the plant boxes, cutting board, and the stool) to make up for how the floor isn't a medium wood tone. Again repeating these 3+ times around the room makes them a real pattern/presence in the space.


    4) The angle of OP's kitchen image wouldn't let me show this, but it also seems as if OP would prefer this kitchen if some of the solid upper doors on the left were swapped out for glass. Glass cabinets appear all over her ideabook, including in the photo that also has the dark floor, and adding them here would also nicely follow the rule of threes -- window are glass, light fixtures are glass, and now the cabinets would be glass.


    And with those four changes, now basically everything that was consistent across OP's ideabook photos is present in the space with the slight exception of medium wood tones being accessories rather than the floor. I'd be surprised if she doesn't like this a lot more.

    Lindsey Kulp thanked Jillius
  • 8 years ago
    This is great advice and I appreciate all of it.

    I think I’ve done ok without a kitchen designer and I know I can use accessories to get that homey charming feeling. This is our forever home so I wanted a clean look that can be accessorized as my taste changes.

    I definitely rushed on that tile choice. I fell in love with the tile pictured below but was told it looks like a shower floor and decided to go with the other one even though I wasn’t totally in love with it.

    Would I be going in a better direction if I went with this hexagon tile as the accent tile (or even as the whole backsplash)?
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Jillius: everything you mention is 100% true. We just completed our new build. Black windows were WAYYYY over budget and not realistic. When we need new windows you best believe I will be getting black. Everything comes down to budget unfortunately, and everything you mentioned (windows/glass cupboards) was in the original plan. I love the render you did, that is great and I 100% appreciate them.

  • PRO
    Lindsey Kulp thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    A pair of Roman shades in white with black banding and perhaps stripes would create the "black window" look without changing the windows. Just use your imagination. Great kitchen and it will come together nicely.

    Lindsey Kulp thanked Flo Mangan
  • 8 years ago

    Part of the problem is the black hole windows. When the sun comes up, it will be better! Other than that, add fruit, flowers, wooden cutting boards and bowls, natural rugs, a pretty tea kettle, dish towels, glass canisters, and a crock with wooden spoons. The hexagon backsplash is about a million times better, especially if you do it with a light grout.

    Lindsey Kulp thanked Katie S.
  • 8 years ago

    You can paint the window frames black, even if they are vinyl. Or a color such as navy.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You need some kind of warm wood element..something as simple as hand woven wood shades on the windows...love your tile choice it will look beautiful!:)




  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Honestly why do you feel the need for warmth..it really is just beautiful and your tile choice will be a beautiful statement! My entire kitchen is white and gray and I wouldn’t change a thing..

    Saddlebrook · More Info


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I like the chevron-patterned tile backsplash another poster suggested, and on my computer the tile has a hint of light green or light aqua in it. At any rate, light green or light aqua could bring some life and freshness to your kitchen, and you could continue one or both of these colors in runners, pot holders, towels, vases, dishes, a print window valance, and perhaps even in a set of cookware. However, be sparing in the use of the colors so that they do not become overpowering or boring. I do not know what materials are in your floor, but would you consider using the same color on the ceiling? For instance, if you have a black or dark grey-patterned tile on the floor, use a black or dark grey paint on the ceiling to bring depth and interest to the room. If you have a wood floor, consider having a wood plank ceiling that is stained to match. If you really like the light green or light aqua I suggested for accessories, use this color on the ceiling. Another possibility would be using an accent color you have in the adjacent room as this will tie together the color scheme throughout the house. Your cabinets and the shape of the room are beautiful, and you just need some color and texture for interest, contrast, and freshness.

  • 8 years ago

    One more idea, perhaps you could add a nostalgic classic Kitchen Aid stand mixer and keep it on the countertop? In a vibrant color or even in a neutral color? I absolutely love those things. I have one of my own in warm apple green. They are as much 'art' as they are useful. To me they bring to mind many warm cozy 'associations'. I automatically associate a stand mixer with holiday cookies, re runs of 'I Love Lucy' show a hint of old timey retro vibe. They even remind me of how old cars used to be built back in the days when cars were actually still art, had lots of shiny chrome and were actually built of real metal with great vibrant enamel colors. My kitchen is white, black and gray, with dark brown wood accents and lots of stainless appliances/exhaust hood, and glass upper cabinets. Similar to some of your choices.

  • 8 years ago

    The OP mentions she has a Kitchenaid Mixer - in Stainless steel.

    Stand mixers can be painted, or sold/traded for another color.


    Happy to watch this coming together!

  • 8 years ago
    I agree with those who suggest taking a bullet around the patterned tile and choosing a simpler one. I also think some of the accessories suggested will warm up the kitchen tremendously. Take this slowly. Do the backsplash FIRST ( whichever one you choose) then stop and reassess. And share the photos. The advice on this thread is excellent. But, ultimately, it’s your kitchen.
    If you love that pattern tile, then do it. But it WILL make a huge statement and it doesn’t seem to add warmth and the farmhouse vibe you desire.

    It’s a beautiful kitchen. It will be great in the end.
  • 8 years ago

    Photoshop -- to me the accent tile could look "more" up to the windows' height. And also the subway, maybe vertically like the stove vent... :)

  • 8 years ago

    OP, regarding the hexagon tile you're considering, the backsplash in your inspiration photos is basically identical in every single inspiration photos -- always dead simply white tile in some variation of a subway shape. Not one instance of marble tile or anything like hexagonal tile, and also not one single instance of accent tile -- all things you're currently mulling over.


    Given how clear and consistent the backsplash is across the ideabook, it seems somewhat of a no-brainer to just do what every single one your inspiration pictures is doing for the backsplash.


    (You actually have one of the most consistent ideabooks I've ever seen - it's nearly the same exact kitchen over and over and gives me the strong impression that you know exactly what you like and are going for here.)


    This is the closest I could find to your kitchen (cabinets, floor, and counters) with a marble hexagon backsplash. Do you actually like that?





  • 8 years ago

    OP also has an ideabook of just tile, which includes a bit more variation. Still a LOT of basic subway shapes, though also a lot of marble. To me it seems like a marble (same material as the hex) but in a subway seems to be a good combination of a lot of images she chose.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Ditch the tile you bought -sell it on Craig's List or donate to Habitat for Humanity or Goodwill.

    How about using large honed white marble subway tiles on that entire wall, counter to ceiling? <https://www.carraratiles.com/carrara-marble-italian-white-bianco-carrera-3x12-marble-tile-honed.html>; If you can't afford this now (they're really cheap!), then save for this or ask for it as a Christmas present from your parents or in-laws. I have this in my kitchen and I love it - classy, timeless, easy to clean. Use white grout - the more expensive non-staining kind.

    This would give your kitchen far more the look you wanted in the first place. Paint those vinyl windows black - you can probably add muntins that snap in place. I like the idea of the wooden window box - it can be very narrow and you can fill it with "air plants" for fool-proof greenery at that window.

    You got the basics right. But you do realize that not one of your "inspiration kitchens" said "rustic. vintage, charming", don't you?

    When you move in, add a couple of Ikea's rustic baskets and fill the with fresh produce that is colorful - one can always use citrus fruits as they last a long time on a counter.

    You're almost there. Keep up your courage!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Would love to hear from Lindsey:) That is just rediculous to suggest that beautiful tile be sold or given away..my goodness it is very nice and has a very unique look..love the other choice of all octagon marble tiles can’t go wrong very classic. Please give us a update your choices so far are lovely!:)

  • 8 years ago
    You guys are great!

    I think I am going to go with either the hexagon that I’ve always adored or just subway tile.

    I love the planters in the windows, we live out in the country so I want to bring as much nature as I can inside the house.

    I think I have found the counter stools I want (picture attached).

    My main hinderance was my fiancé, he had certain things he wanted and I had to pick my battles (like we all do).

    I will be sure to keep everyone updated!

    Here is the opposite view of the kitchen. Not sure if the paint color translates in this picture, but hopefully you can see that it isn’t a stark gray.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Looks great..love the warm wood cross back casual stools! Add same color woven shades it will look warm and inviting:)

  • 8 years ago

    I agree with Home interiors. I like those stools and the same color woven shade would look great. Good luck!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Nice stools, just be sure to put pads on the legs so they don't scratch up your new flooring! Wood roman shade would be nice, but you might find a pretty fabric with your love of flowers and plants that could jazz things up a bit.

    G0063 Fabric Sample Swatch · More Info


  • PRO
    8 years ago


    G0063 Fabric Sample Swatch · More Info


  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Houzz having loafs of loading problems. Sorry for the double post.
  • 8 years ago

    i would do the subway before the hex. i just don't think the hex goes with your kitchen style, its leans more toward vintage & bathroom. and putting marble behind the cooktop is not a good choice, cleaning wise. and with all the grout, Yikes!!

    i think a fireclay tile will at least lean you toward rustic which was your inspiration. here's one sample but they have great colors. you can go a very very light green or blue. i would pull out the color you see in your paint. i would not do any shade of gray. you are correct you need some warmth, so no gray.

    fireclay

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hex tiles are used in modern kitchens and add a very classic style to all design styles..that is what is so great about them!

  • 8 years ago
    We got the chairs yesterday! I obviously still have not decided about the backsplash.
  • 8 years ago

    They are a perfect color! I wonder if you could, as some have suggested, find a blind that matches -- or another way to repeat that wood tone in the space.

  • 8 years ago
    I had a similar issue in my kitchen. I felt it needed some warmth. We now have warm wood tone floors but also installed a backsplash with grey glass tile (2 shades in shiny and matte) and some brown limestone tiles. I love it! (I would have preferred darker grout but that was my oops.) We get so many compliments. So maybe consider something with some brown/beige (or other warm tone)? I vote for no more white or grey. Good luck! Looks like a beautiful kitchen!
  • 8 years ago
    Love your chairs
  • 8 years ago
    If you use the decorative tiles below the hood, the subway tile used elsewhere must match exactly one of the background colors in the decorative tile.
    Your kitchen is "cold" because it is all gray! Almost any color will work with gray, so pick an accent color and sprinkle it throughout the kitchen: a ceramic utensil pot next to the stove, dish towels and hand towels, runner rugs for comfortable standing at the sink, stove and prep area, window treatments, art, ceramic trivets for hot pots, knobs on pantry doors, your apron. Don't overdo your accent color: just add some color here and there to bring some life to the kitchen.
  • 8 years ago

    you could pick a color for the entire backsplash. Or a Moroccan type patterned tile. The nice tastefully chosen windows and the fact the view is directed that way invites color or pattern or both around the wall/backsplash there. Just care with the choice is the key. That wall can really shine when you choose the detail . Your kitchen is a great looking space.....I would go for some color element in choice of tile..or an area there....many ways to interject that...and does not need to be bold.

  • 7 years ago

    Hey y'all! Here is an update, still no backsplash, but I think we have narrowed it down to the two in the picture.







    *But who knows, I'll probably change my mind again :P

  • 7 years ago
    I LOVE the seafoam tile! I think that would look stunning in your kitchen!! So much white already. Go for the color! :)
  • 7 years ago
    Rustic ? try ship lath for a backsplash....
  • 7 years ago
    Your kitchen is basically attractive, but it is all gray. There are many colors which go beautifully with gray, and color is what you need to give your kitchen some warmth. Perhaps a backsplash in a light green or blue color would be acceptable to you. Countertop accessories in the same color would brighten up the gray. A colorful rug in front of the sink, some art, simple window treatments in a fabric with color. Or paint your walls a color.
    Too much gray is monotonous. Go to your paint store and bring home some color cards to help you move beyond gray.
  • 7 years ago
    The dark fridge appears massive. Pick an interesting colour for the walls and trim (NOT white).
  • 7 years ago
    I don’t think you need to change anything. I think decorating will help you warm up the space tremendously. Flowers are a must, basket of colorful fruit, artwork, placemats.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Looking good. I think either of your final choices would work well. I can see where you could be torn. Safe choice would be the rhomboid type shape white with a light gray grout. It would be more timeless. The green would be more trendy but still a good look. If you go that route be sure to do a sample board to test to get white glass adhesive so color stays true. Also white grout. Get that on sample board too. The glass will be a bit more complex to get installed properly.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago


    If you're still looking for warmth, I'd go with the white tile with a greige grout. Glass tile, even tho it is green is always going to read cool. Personally, if you want white, I'd look for a ceramic handmade looking tile to add more warmth.

  • 7 years ago

    You already seem to gravitate towards the sea foam accents. That green tile would be gorgeous. Add a bit of fun and dimension. I feel you would really see the whole kitchen, the cabinets, counters, etc. Go for it!

  • 7 years ago
    The green looks better to me. It also gives you a jumping off point for accessories to add color. Just make sure the installer knows what he/she is doing. And the glass will appears a different color once it is installed with grout so get a sample with grout! THEN hold it up to your kitchen at various times of day.
  • 7 years ago
    I thought it was a b/w picture.
  • 7 years ago

    I like your final choices. I would go with the color since you seem to think that your kitchen is lacking something which the colored tile will give you.

  • 7 years ago

    I am always a sucker for green, especially green glass, so I would vote for that -- not just because I am always drawn to it, but because it will add gentle light color to the room. Does the shade of the tile match or complement the color you say you can see in the wall paint?