Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Red stems vs. purple stems?

I’ve noticed some of my roses have more reddish new growth, and others have more plumish/purplish. Is this related to the class of rose, or the blossom hue? Thanks for any insights! :-)

Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago
    Hmm, I have to look at mine. Any pics of the stems ? What type of roses ? Sorry, my curiosity is getting up there, haha, excuse me for being that way. I have never seen any colours like that just green.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 8 years ago

    I’ll snap some pics tomorrow. I was researching and ‘Lady Hillingdon’, ‘Anna Olivier’(real) and ‘Edith Perry’ are all described as having “plum-colored new growth.” So I guess I just answered my own silly question, at least in regards to blossom color. :-)

  • 8 years ago
    Perma, out of those roses you mentioned. I have Edith Perry. Now, I went out and have a closer look. Mine is still green but very young. Think I got EP in July so I don't see any blue or purple colours yet. How old is your EP ? Maybe maturity plays an a big part too.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you so much, Kim! I think that’s fascinating how they can express so many colors. I’ll certainly watch mine for all their glorious hues. :-)

  • 8 years ago

    Hey Jin—my EP is just a baby too...got it from RP in June, so ours are sisters! :-)

    if you look at some of the older threads on EP, they show the purple stems. I was hoping maybe cool -hued flowers had purple stems, and warm-hued had red, so that I could sort them for planting purposes. Of course it’s not that simple—these are beautifully complex plants.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks Kim that is very interesting. Yeah, now, both you guys got my attention . This is interesting facts and will be looking into details.
    Thanks :)
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 8 years ago
    oh, I just Google up and saw new growth on pics on HMF on Edith Perry. That is so cool :)
    No, I don't have any new growth except same green branches getting bigger. Well, I guess I will be looking forward to changes, hopefully I day :)
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 8 years ago

    I've never seen purple stems on a rose. I bought 'Betty Bland' for its red stems and planted it where I would see the stems against white snow in winter from a kitchen window. Unfortunately, we've had very little snow in later winters so the effect is lost and the pink of the flowers is less than perfect with the red species roses near.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked mariannese
  • 8 years ago

    That is stunning! And how clever to plant it so that it would be set off by the snow!

  • 8 years ago
    That looks so stunning against the snow. Never seen anything like that...now, I gotta Google the rose just to see the colours and more...


    I wonder if Fall and winter plays an important role here Bec time will tell( I am just saying,knowing I am wrong) Perma , we can compare notes. Same rose, same nursery but different zones.
    It is colder where you at than me .
    Jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 8 years ago

    'Rosa blanda' -- 'Betty Bland''s mom -- has canes that turn a sort of purplish-tan after the leaves drop, giving somewhat of an effect like red-twig dogwood.


    :-)


    ~Christopher

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ