Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgrin17

wallpaper advice needed!

cgrin17
10 years ago
ok ive done my fair share of wallpaper projects but have never used grass cloth.... i want to use this in my (rarely used) powder room but ive been told that the seams will stand out because grass cloth will never match up. is this true? does that look bad? any alternatives for a natural, textured feel other than the grass cloth? help!

Comments (20)

• elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Grass cloth shows seams; it is supposed to show seams; it is a natural product. That out of the way, it is, IMO, one of the most beautiful wallpapers. I do not paper myself and because grasscloth is expensive and tricky to hang, I would never let anyone but a pro do it for me.

The colors are fabulous…unlike paint, you get variations in color and texture.

It is a classic and the best part is when you are sick of the color (which won't happen) you can paint over it and get the most unusual finish.

I highly recommend it for a rich look.
    Key West powder room · More Info

Hillgrove Project · More Info
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    This is one of my favorites:
    Natural Grasscloth · More Info
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    Here's another for textured wall coverings
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/powder-room/textured-wall-
  • J Corn
    10 years ago
    This may sound stupid but how do you clean it, especially if there is a stain? I was told you should only dust it or use a hand held vacuum hose on it, preferably one with a blind duster. Is this true? And that photo looks like a bathroom. Wouldn't water hurt it?

i haven't worked with grasscloth and love it but i buess i'm intimidated by it too. How would it do in humid areas?

Finally, if I was selling my home and a buyer didn't like grasscloth are the current versions easily removed? The old ones used to be nightmares.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Phillip Jeffries makes a Metallic Melange vinyl raffia that is washable and would look fabulous in a powder room. Check out their website for a huge selection of styles and colors of natural and textured wallpapers.
    http://www.phillipjeffries.com/company/about-us.html
  • cgrin17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks to all! anne dee, the first pic is exactly the style i have my eye on!!
  • felixgrantham
    10 years ago
    Grass cloth is as durable as it is beautiful. I did my powder room in black grasscloth 20 years ago & it still looks great. Once, I even had a leak (long story) & the paper bulged out with water behind it. I stabbed the paper with a knife in between the "grass", and put a fan on it & voila! You could never tell what trauma it has survived. The variability in the colors has hidden any stains.

Grass cloth is a bear to remove. It helps if you prime the area below it first, rather than installing on raw wall board.
  • PRO
    Veronica Lawrence Interiors
    10 years ago
    Grass cloth can make any powder room look classy and upscale. It is hard to hang and even the best of wallpaper hangers will tell you the corners are difficult. But it is a natural product and gives texture and sheen.
    cgrin17 thanked Veronica Lawrence Interiors
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    bluenan, I love that paper, but isn't Phillip Jeffries to the trade only?
  • User
    10 years ago
    You can order Phillip Jeffries through this site, not just to trade.
    http://www.decoratorsbest.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=phillip+jeffries
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    10 years ago
    Grasscloth is super durable...will last up to 50 years if you keep UV light off of it. If you do have uv on it, have a tint person come and put a clear uv on your window. Will prolong it and also-alot of people don't know this but you age in your house without sun protection. I suggest the brand at Home Depot. Starts with a G and they have a clear coat for protect paint and fabrics and rugs from fading.
  • J Corn
    10 years ago
    Wow, I've learned plenty in this thread and I may be losing my fear of grasscloth, lol. Honestly, I always thought it was high maintenance. Guess not.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    10 years ago
    If you have little boys, the splashes near the wall will show....I have clients who have done grasscloth and this is true. Phillip Jeffries has amazing VINYL grasscloth that looks amazing and is wipeable!
  • PRO
    Veronica Lawrence Interiors
    10 years ago
    Grass cloth is not vinyl it is, as the name suggests made of natural grasses. Vinyl wall covering can be made to look like natural grass cloth and is definitely a good option as it can be wiped down - it's very durable. I have used a vinyl that looks like grass cloth in a dental office. It looks great and will last many years! It's also easier to install.
  • cgrin17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i do like the weave look as well and found one at my local wallpaper outlet - the cost is a bit higher but i mean, if i love it - i'll want it forever so worth the price right?! thanks everyone - you've made up my mind :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Get it if you love it now and enjoy it, but you won't love it forever. Grasscloth and woven wallpapers have already cycled, they were very popular and then completely fell out of favor, now they're back again in a big way...and the cycle will repeat.
  • cgrin17
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    oh i dont follow trends, i do what i love! and this is natural and classy so i know i'll be happy for a while :)
  • rndeans
    8 years ago

Has anyone had any luck with fixing the parts of grasscloth where the sun has faded it and/or stopping this from happening any further> I applied it ten months ago in a nursery with only two windows and you can actually see the slat lines from the cribs and the outline of the chair. I'm desperate to fix this, I loved it so much before and now it;s oxidizing to an unrecognizable color! I'm so sad!

• PRO
    Ultimate Wallcovering
    7 years ago

If you have leftover material I can fix it. If not open the blind during the day or get shears and move the chair, it will soon fade to match. Or get a UV light to blend it faster. . But please put your baby out of the direct sun or uv light. We all need natural vitamin D. But if it's fading your paper, well....