Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jk_c

Backsplash with Taj Mahal

Joanna Cucchi
5 years ago

I know that this topic has been discussed to death so sorry for the additional post. Most backsplashes I have found or that have been discussed for Taj Mahal are in the white or cream category. I was looking at using a color but since I can't really find pictures of kitchens that have Taj and a colored backsplash I am wondering if I am creating something that just doesn't work. We have a couple of slabs on hold but haven't make the final slab decision. Out kitchen cabinets will be white.

I am hoping to use fireclay and think that Silver Haze works to bring in both the grey of the Taj as well as some color (green). The tiles on the top are silver haze and I have a lot of them to try to understand the variation.

However, I am far from a color expert and maybe it just doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas of other colors (fireclay or other) that might work with Taj?

Comments (22)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Pretty colors. Seems good to me. But I like color!

Joanna Cucchi thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

It could work, but maybe not. slabs of TM vary so much. I would personally wait till you have the counter installed to finalize. TM is so beautiful that you don’t want to take away from that or clash with it. Fireclay & Encore both have great tiles & lots of colors to choose from.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Also when you look at tile and stone, look at them how you'll actually view them. So the tile needs to be vertical and the stone horizontal.

Joanna Cucchi thanked cpartist
  • Joanna Cucchi
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely look at them once the slab is in. I guess my more general question is if taj and colored tile can go together. I like the warmth that the color brings.
  • chispa
    5 years ago

I also used Taj Mahal and I'm going through the back splash selection right now. Actually this is version 2.0 as I ripped out version 1.0. Have lots of photos ... be right back!

Joanna Cucchi thanked chispa
  • Joanna Cucchi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kim, I love that one. We weren't planning on gold accents but boy is that wonderful. I do go back and visit it. Chispa, I can't wait to see. What didn't work for you?

• chispa
    5 years ago

These are the ones in my ideabook that had a bit of a green tint to them..

Stanwich Road · More Info

Next, Walker Zanger. Field Tile. Brownstone.

Cliffs Valley · More Info

Next, Fireclay tile in Rosemary

White kitchen · More Info

It will really depend on the TM slab as they can vary quite a bit. I am slo having a problem mentioned in another post, that one side of my TM slab, that is in the corner, turns a bit pinkish in the late afternoon sun. My tile samples look perfect in one spot and terrible in another, depending on the time of day.

• chispa
    5 years ago

Close up of the Fireclay Rosemary

White kitchen · More Info

Pretty close to your sample to give you an idea.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

My suggestion is to go ahead with the Taj Mahal installation as this is the main focal point. There are hundreds of options you can choose from once the counter is installed in your kitchen and with the proper lighting, Unless the small sample you have came from the slabs you chose then i would wait on making a final decision. Once you see the overall effect with the cabinets, paint, counters, and lighting already installed then you can borrow samples from tile stores, take them home, live with them a couple of days then make your decision.

Joanna Cucchi thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • chispa
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Joanna, I have a dark stained kitchen and did a rustic brass hood, so I want a light backsplash. My first try was a very white marble mosaic in a larger scale waterjet cut pattern. It looked good, but was damaged during installation. Had it removed and realized that although it was pretty, it was just too stark with my dark cabinets, so I started the search again.

I am now looking for something a bit more cream/beige, but everything seems to turn very yellow in my space. I am considering Encore tile and have tried nearly every one of their lighter colors and haven't found the right one yet ... waiting for tile shop to get the last 2 samples I haven't tried. Call me Goldilocks!

• chispa
    5 years ago

I'm telling you, my next kitchen will be white cabinets with white counters ... I can then use any color backsplash! Oh, and it will be in a cave so it has no influence from weird natural light variations throughout the day! ;-)

• Joanna Cucchi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all, went slab shopping again today. Boy is this hard. I actually really like the Rosemary with the Taj Mahal. The problem is I love fireclay but it has a 6 week ordering timeline. My contractor typically finishes one job and then moves on to the next, one at a time. Because of this if I wait too long I think I will have to rule out the longer time frame tiles.

• chispa
    5 years ago

You can always find a good tile person to install your backsplash later ... don't settle to meet someone else's timeline ... you'll be looking at the backsplash every single day for years to come.

• kim k
    5 years ago

Have you looked at Encore? They have so many options I bet you could find one that has the beiges of Taj Mahal with some greens too. Not sure their lead time though.

Joanna Cucchi thanked kim k
  • isabel98
    5 years ago

look at www.winchestertiles.com their residence collections. I used a color called "Tern" in the 1st picture and there are others as well. best part is they are stocked in Boston and very reasonably priced. second pic below is the color "Mere". my counter is Madre perla which is similar.

Joanna Cucchi thanked isabel98
  • isabel98
    5 years ago

BTW They do have rectangle tiles as well.

Joanna Cucchi thanked isabel98
  • chispa
    5 years ago

For Encore tile you are also looking at 6 weeks lead time. I just ordered some samples from them and it was 2 weeks to get a specific deco tile in a specific color, not something they have in stock.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

The Silver Haze looks too yellow on my screen. The rosemary looks like it blends better.

Joanna Cucchi thanked mark_rachel
  • Joanna Cucchi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all. I think I will likely end up with a warm taupe or something similar. I will decide once the slab is installed. Chispa, can't wait to see what you decide.

• Kathy Cann
    5 years ago

Joanna, I am reading along here with the same dilemma! Fell in love with the Taj after seeing it in a kitchen our contractor recently finished in Roseville. I think it's your yours! With the beautiful crackle backsplash? I was thinking I'm in the same situation of not wanting to wait until the counters are in to decide since Gary will be moving on to his next job! Your kitchen is my inspiration! Beautiful!

Joanna Cucchi thanked Kathy Cann
  • Joanna Cucchi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kathy, that sounds like our kitchen. We love what we ended up with. It is Otter from sonoma tilemakers. It looks great. Gary is wonderful to work with. Final result for our backsplash with Taj Mahal.