Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
providencesparrow

White appliances- am I crazy for wanting them?

I want to go as timeless as possible for my traditional farmhouse kitchen but am I crazy for wanting white appliances WITH a white cabinet kitchen? I personally do not care for stainless (for my personal house but love the look w others!) but willing to do it if it would look better with the white cabinets. Is stainless around to stay for a while longer?. I’m open to any thoughts please!

Comments (32)

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

White appliances could be a difficult match to white cabinets...the cabinets will eventually age and the tone will change. Anything but a pure white might look dingy next to stark white appliances.

providencesparrow thanked lucky998877
  • providencesparrow
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ahh ok yes I’ve worried about that. And dingy white would look more outdated than stainless even if stainless went “out”

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

Yep

providencesparrow thanked lucky998877
  • chispa
    5 years ago

You can minimize the stainless (or white) appliances by getting a dishwasher and fridge that are paneled (integrated) to match the cabinets.

providencesparrow thanked chispa
  • weedmeister
    5 years ago

Stainless may go in and out. My folks did their kitchen in stainless in the middle 60's (DW, hood, cooktop and double oven). Lasted for 40 years.

If you want white, get white. But the issue with white cabinets over time is most likely real.

providencesparrow thanked weedmeister
  • Mrs Pete
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

White appliances could be a difficult match to white cabinets...the cabinets will eventually age and the tone will change. Anything but a pure white might look dingy next to stark white appliances.

My opinion exactly. You can have too much of a good thing; I'd rather see the white cabinets "broken up" with color of some sort in the appliances.

providencesparrow thanked Mrs Pete
  • Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

I love white appliances with white cabinets. Of course the whites don’t match. They never do. That’s fine, imo. People commonly mix whites in other ways.

Stainless won’t all match each either unless you go with the all same brand, which is always advised against here because you won’t get the best appliances that way.

But, you may find you can’t get the appliances you want in white. I was unable to find an induction range in white without going up to about $7k for a Viking. I think there is another less expensive option now, but still much pricier than many options that only come in stainless.

providencesparrow thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    I went with white cabinets and white appliances, too. I think it is much more harmonious than sticking giant swaths of stainless in there.
    providencesparrow thanked Rachel Lee
  • friedajune
    5 years ago

You can mix stainless and white. I have a stainless hood over a white range. I wanted the range to be white because I hate cleaning a stainless range - the stainless cooktop always gets scratched and dingy. Or some stainless ranges have a black cooktop surface and those scratch and get dull spots even more easily. A white range is wipe and go. I love the combination of the gleam of the stainless hood over the crisp white range.

providencesparrow thanked friedajune
  • functionthenlook
    5 years ago

My house had stainless when we moved in and they are still in good condition. Oh how I wish I had white like my last house. I just like the look of white appliances. To me they don't overwhelm the space.

providencesparrow thanked functionthenlook
  • queenvictorian
    5 years ago

If they made white appliances that looked like they did in the 30s through 50s, with white enamel finishes and chrome/metal accents, I would have nothing but white appliances. But today's white appliances look kinda platicky with white plastic accents (not chrome), so I wouldn't get them for my kitchen. I still don't mind them, and I don't think you're crazy, OP.

providencesparrow thanked queenvictorian
  • Dawn Casler Reamer
    5 years ago

White stove and refrigerator with stainless

providencesparrow thanked Dawn Casler Reamer
  • Nicole
    5 years ago

We have white, but we don't have white cabinets. I'm not crazy about stainless and we started with a white dishwasher we wanted to keep. There are nice white appliances that aren't that pebbled texture with plastic handles of low-end appliances. I say get what you like best.

providencesparrow thanked Nicole
  • suedonim75
    5 years ago

I have white appliance now that are slowly dying, and white cabinets. I really like the look of the new smooth surface white appliances, but there aren't very many options. I love, love all of the Kitchenaid white, but holy crap are they expensive. As mine die out, I will replace with stainless because my husband thinks it is "easier".

providencesparrow thanked suedonim75
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

I wish I could have gotten white appliances, but the appliances I wanted didn't all come in white -- only in stainless. I wasn't going to compromised utility for appearance, but I understand preferring white over stainless steel when it comes to appliances.

providencesparrow thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

What about panel ready appliances? You could put cabinet panels on them and they would blend in with your white cabinets.

Or you could go a little crazy and do a pop of color with a custom color gas range.

providencesparrow thanked User
  • suedonim75
    5 years ago

Not everyone can afford $5k ranges.

providencesparrow thanked suedonim75
  • PRO
    Renov8or
    5 years ago

Cream looks good with white appliances.

Deephaven, MN – Cottage completed in 2009 · More Info

providencesparrow thanked Renov8or
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

"Or you could go a little crazy and do a pop of color with a custom color gas range."

Assuming you want a gas range -- not everyone does, and not every home can accommodate one (and that would mean big bucks to convert the kitchen to gas, just to accommodate an appliance that is already priced higher solely for aesthetic reasons).

providencesparrow thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

You can also get a custom color induction range—Viking. But that’s $$$$. More money than I would spend and not necessarily the best induction range either.

providencesparrow thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Aunt Arctica
    5 years ago

Dawn Reamer...tell us what brand those appliances are, thanks. I am guessing the white Ice from whirlpool. We went all white with white cabs. If really look at the SS at the stores you will see thumb prints everywhere and none of them match well. We have KA fridge and dw from 7 years ago. Still working, smooth white, and still looks great. Wish wish wish I could still get the matching range. Darn it. The European ranges are more readily white, otherwise its $$$$ or $. Still looking for a good quality range, but hating that to get white we are going to spend $$$$. SS interrupts to serenity and calm of a white kitchen. If you do elegant knobs and fixtures, then it really looks awful. So sick of SS.

• PRO
    Renov8or
    5 years ago

Here's a modern take on a "hacienda" kitchen. The homeowners went for all white appliances with custom wood cabinets and white (looks like Quartz) counters:

https://thejoshuatreehouse.com/2017/08/23/hacienda-kitchen-renovation-fireclay-tile/ 

I love it!

• Dawn Casler Reamer
    5 years ago

Aunt Attica- Yes, the stove is white ice by whirlpool, however the refrigerator is also whirlpool all white- then I bought replacement stainless handles. Before I found the white ice stove at the whirlpool outlet, I had a white GE stove in mind - was planning on purchasing replacement knobs and handles in stainless. If money was no object the Big Chill appliance brand caught my eye!

• Aunt Arctica
    5 years ago

Dawn Casler Reamer I loved the white ice but they discontinued it. Now Whirlpool has a "Smart" version with a glass panel right next to the cooking area....I just know I'd likely drop a cast iron on that! And all the electronics...yikes. But looks nice....actually one of the nicest looking stoves on the market right now...all those big, bulky, steel monstrosities....alas...maybe I will look at an outlet too for the white ice.

providencesparrow thanked Aunt Arctica
  • Mona
    5 years ago

I have a GE Profile bright shiny white fridge that's about 10 years old now. I don't know if they make that fridge anymore, but it's a very smooth texture and bright white finish. Just redid my kitchen and got all SS appliances but kept my white fridge. I think it still looks awesome. It looked fine with my 43 yo painted white cabinets and it looks great with my new white cabinets. I say go for it.

providencesparrow thanked Mona
  • girlwithponytail
    5 years ago
    My mom doesn’t like SS either and she put all white appliances in her white cabinet kitchen. Her kitchen is very pretty. I didn’t notice the two “different” whites; there’s so much else in her kitchen to ogle—beautiful countertops, open shelving, etc
    providencesparrow thanked girlwithponytail
  • Aunt Arctica
    5 years ago

girlwithponytail....add a picture and the brands if you can. We'd love to see!

providencesparrow thanked Aunt Arctica
  • providencesparrow
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Would love pics of that! Thank y’all for all of your responses!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

My son had all white in their enormous all-white kitchen. I understood why the previous owners had chosen white - the kitchen was so enormous that it would have looked "splotchy" with stainless here and there. What they should have done was used paneled appliances. All those white appliances were a HUGE distraction for buyers when they were selling the house.

providencesparrow thanked Anglophilia
  • User
    5 years ago

White appliances are often installed in rentals and the cheap ones have a pebbled, "orange peel" surface and plasticky trim that yellows in sunlight.

But there are nicer, newer white appliances with a slick, slightly glossy surface and chrome trim. Unfortunately I believe Whirpool discontinued their "White Ice" line. But there are other brands that look similar.

If you like white appliances get them. Just make sure you get the nicer looking, modern ones with a smooth surface and metal trim. The details make the difference.

Samsung and Kitchenaid have smooth white with chrome trim ( average prices). The new GE Cafe line has matte white with copper, bronze, black or chrome trim ( these are relatively expensive).

Samsung

Kitchenaid

Ge Cafe, matte white with bronze trim

• User
    5 years ago

Home Depot is still selling a few models of White Ice stoves on their website but the Kitchenaid models seem just as nice and have the chrome trim too . Only a slight difference in price.

Whirlpool White Ice ( about $1400)

Kitchenaid ( about $1900)