Software
Houzz Logo Print
corri_lenaghen

Boyfriends taste not like mine!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have to somehow incorporate this photo into my otherwise rustic apartment. This is where he wants it. It's a walkway so a table or shelf isn't possible. Help!

Comments (40)

  • 8 years ago





  • 8 years ago

    without seeing the rest of the room and it's style it's hard to comment but as far as the picture goes it's not bad. Maybe try changing the frame?

  • 8 years ago

    I should have added....he loves the frame :(

  • 8 years ago

    yeah well he's in a relationship now...tell him to get used to not ever having anything the way he wants it ever again lol. it's all about compromise.

  • 8 years ago




    This is the space with adjoining dining.

  • 8 years ago

    Venezia :D


  • 8 years ago

    Melissa lol! Its It's the ONLY thing hes asked for. I had to cave at something. It has meaning to him. And he cooks me dinner every night....I really should let him have this one thing!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I am not sure what the problem is it is a nice picture and would work well and BTW lower your other art work the one in DR can even be hung a bit lower than the rest Relationships are a bit of give and take and the 2 of you will come to a place where you agree on a style together and love that he actually cooks.

    Corri Lenaghen thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 8 years ago

    It’s fine. It’s fine where it is. The frame is fine. Leave it.

    Corri Lenaghen thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Appreciate this and maybe just needed to hear it :) I think I was just afraid that it didnt "go" with anything. But since he "goes", the picture stays :) Thank you!

  • 8 years ago

    Patricia, I will definitely take that advice! Besides lowering a little, does the wall need anything else. It looks lonely. Having a hard time visualizing. I've never had an issue before :)

  • 8 years ago

    Art really does not have to "match" so you could really mix other things in with it.

    Actually for what it's worth it looks like his choice is actually art and your pieces are more wall decorations. That's fine either way, but actually his choice may be the one that has more longevity...

  • 8 years ago

    Have you/he considered exchanging the dining area wall decoration with his framed art? I think putting his pic onto an area that is black (either painted or a finished board) 6" or so around the pic would actually complete the dining area more. You have the black cabinet and pics on the one wall then the color fades out by the table. His picture has more detailing that to truly enjoy his pic, one would have to be just sitting with no other distractions like the TV would in the living room.

    Corri Lenaghen thanked aloha2009
  • 8 years ago

    Love all of this! This is a new apartment for both of us. I'm sure our styles will mesh nicely.


    I do believe I'll be relocating to dining room wall.

  • 8 years ago

    Just a thought but could you add touches of the light blue from HIS painting to help imcorporate. It more?

    Corri Lenaghen thanked Kris Bruesehoff
  • 8 years ago

    Nothing wrong with his picture - it looks fine. Would actually go well in a rustic setting.

    Corri Lenaghen thanked qam999
  • 8 years ago

    His picture looks to be by itself in the tv area and not competing w/ anything. Who wouldn't enjoy looking at an Italian water scene?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The art is a bit traditional for your taste? It's not bad, but it's not connected to anything and that's the issue.


    Can it be used in the entry?

    Is there any special location where it can be combined with anything to make more of a statement? Is there any office area for him?


    Since the picture is so small, a picture ledge with additional special items could be a solution.



  • 8 years ago

    With possessions, they are often never what they are but what they represent.

    Was this what he bought with his first paycheck?

    The first piece of "art" he ever bought?


    This depicts the Grand Canal in Venice with the Rialto Bridge, palazzos on the bank, gondolas, etc.


    Has he been to Venice? Does this bring back fond memories?

    Did someone that he cares about bought this for him as a souvenir?

    Is he of Italian heritage?

    Does he dream (albeit secretly) of going to Italy and to Venice?


    Talk to him about it as if he was a kindly stranger you struck up a conversation with in a coffee shop devoid of judgement.

    When you learn what the picture means to him, you might be more accepting of it.


    If it is as simple as "I've always wanted to see Venice and ride in a gondola, and this is a photo of it," maybe at some point down the line after you have lived with his picture a while if you still despise it, you two can find a depiction of the scene that you both can live with, such as a print of Canaletto





    or a large framed photograph in color or black and white.





  • 8 years ago

    He purchased the piece from a sidewalk artist in Venice. So yes, it wl definitely stay, just want it to be presented in the best way. And not look out of placr.

  • 8 years ago

    Oh, so it is a memento of his trip. That makes eminent sense.

  • 8 years ago

    I understand the desire to have a vision for your decor that is somehow "interrupted" by the desires of your significant other. Most of us who share a home with another person have dealt with this. As you seem to have learned, it's important that your partner feel at home in what is also HIS space, and it's certainly not unreasonable for him to expect to be able to display some of his things. There's nothing wrong with the artwork... I mean, it could be something like a velvet Elvis or dogs playing poker or a scantily clad WWE diva, right? Eclectic decor is so much more interesting than a set style anyway, especially when it tells the story of the people who live there.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Well, since the art stays, the frame can't be changed, it can't be hung any other place, nothing can be placed below it....I'm really unsure of what advice you think anyone could give?

    It's not a bad piece and looks okay on that wall. Maybe you'll learn to love it because he does?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    It's fine. lower it so the center of the picture is about 57" from the floor. this is eye level for most people. and, getting a new thermostat cover would keep that from being an eyesore next to his picture. the color of that is seriously distracting. tell him you'll be happy to display his painting if he would kindly switch out the thermostat.


    Corri Lenaghen thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    Lower it, enjoy it, and think of where you might go together in the future, and what souvenirs you might bring home together : ) .

  • 8 years ago
    The painting is fine. I'd be considering it as the beginning of the road to gradually building a collection of art that has the meaning for both of you that this one piece has for him.
  • 8 years ago

    He can keep his frame and mount the picture on a mounting board, something like this...


    https://www.wholesaleartsframes.com/3-16-black-buffered-foam-core-boards-custom-size/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpd7ZoMfP3QIVRr7ACh0_aQB7EAQYBSABEgLp_vD_BwE


    You could then mount the entire thing onto the wall. I think it would help pull the dining room together making everyone happy.

  • 8 years ago

    Oh Corri, I say, just let it be where it is. If that’s all he asked for, let him win that one. It is a nice painting. Maybe in the future you can pick up other small painting of places you’ve been together to hang with it. My only other suggestion is, make sure the painting center is at eye level, it may be a little high, IMO.

  • 8 years ago

    Honestly I like it better than the other wall art, which looks a bit generic. When your decor doesn't "match" it has more life.

  • 8 years ago

    Everyone was so helpful!!! Thank you. We have a few ideas and will post pics when completed...but first, golf!!! Have a great Sunday everyone!!

  • 8 years ago

    Relationships are give and take, but is there another place to hang so it doesn't have such a bad reflection? That could be your out to relocate "the reflection takes away from the piece. Don't you want to use it in the best location?" ; D If it stays there, it does need to be lowered a bit, as does the DR art.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    My DH had an elderly friend who in his retirement took up art. We have one of his paintings and my DH cherishes it. Unfortunately, this man simply had no artistic talent, and the painting is pretty fugly (and kinda large). But I leave it on the wall, and have said nothing. There are so many more important things to be concerned about and compromise on in a relationship.

    Having said that, to be brutally honest, what you have elsewhere seem more like tchotchkes, not art - do those have any meaning for you, or are they space fillers? Perhaps you and your boyfriend can shop for some art together, like at art fairs, or online at Etsy, or pretty posters. That way they will have meaning, sentimental value, and make you smile over them when you see them on the wall.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    “He purchased the piece from a sidewalk artist in Venice“.

    That‘s JUST the kind of meaningful artwork you want to have in your home. WAY better than vaguely attractive “wall decor” that matches the pillow and brings back memories of Aisle 4 at Hobby Lobby!!

    Hope you and the boyfriend can find more special stuff together to add to your place!!

  • 8 years ago

    "...brings back memories of Aisle 4 at Hobby Lobby."


    LOVE this, drdeb. I'm stealing it!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Long term, if he has his own office or computer room or man cave someday, then put it there. ("I know you want this special memory of Venice right where you can see it, honey!")

    Significant Other management skills develop over time. ;^)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I had this same issue in our new house. I inherited my mom's collection of Japanese wood block prints. DH has a collection of mugs and sports photos of famous players he likes. They are on one wall, my prints on the others. At first I was aghast. Now I love seeing his imprint in my life, because that's him and I love the different parts of himself that he brings to the relationship. I actually think picture of Venice is great. It might look better in the dining area since that piece you have in there is more of a statement writ large which might go better with the big footprint of the flat screen. However, that's splitting hairs. It looks good as is too. I actually might end up staring at the picture and dreaming of Venice while others were watching tv . . .

  • 8 years ago

    I don't see anything wrong with the picture. I do feel it should be hung lower.

  • 8 years ago
    My suggestion is that you rave about the Venetian print and then suggest that you both return to a city that means so much to him. Where you will BOTH purchase even more lovely prints of a wonderful city and create memories that you share! And hang them, together, in your dining room. Where you will serve fabulous meals, inspired by your romantic trip to Venice. I can dream, can’t I????
  • 8 years ago

    I would be HONOURED Grover!!!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations