Software
Houzz Logo Print
dnagardens

DA’s Mary Magdalene

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have been interested in purchasing Mary Magdalene for a while but have held back due to concerns that she may be disease prone. Have you found this to be true or does she do fine for you?

Comments (17)

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks, Biff! Beautiful bloom! I can tolerate a slow grower.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    What a stunner. I dont mind slow grower either for a bloom like that.

    Dave5bWY thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 8 years ago

    ...a very enabling photo...

    Dave5bWY thanked User
  • 8 years ago


    This is a bush shot from this morning.

    Dave5bWY thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    lovely... it reminds me of 'Lichfield Angel'...

    Dave5bWY thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Hi Dave - I planted MM last year and she's only about 2 x 2 but she's showing signs that she'll take off by year three. Maybe keep her in a pot for awhile? I can't speak to disease resistance because of my dry climate.


    The last photo I took below is where she looks quite pink. Normally she's more like the collage from last year where she's peachy white. MM is quite fragrant!





    I'm glad I have this rose and look forward to seeing how she continues to develop!


    Ann


    Dave5bWY thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • 8 years ago

    I love the soft colors and flower form! Thanks, Ann!

  • 8 years ago

    Mine was planted last year, too. She was floppy at first, but is growing stronger upright canes this year. She's never boring.

    My favorite showing all her colors.

    Dave5bWY thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 8 years ago

    How beautiful, flowers! Thanks for sharing!

  • 8 years ago

    Hi Dave - Hope this photo posts this time! My MM today, 18 months after planting. I'm encouraged by the cane in the back!



    Ann

    Dave5bWY thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • 8 years ago

    Ann and flowers, what stunning photos of a rose I hadn't taken notice of (my loss). MM is just one gorgeous rose with its subtle and changing delicate coloration. I love all those petals, too. Diane

    Dave5bWY thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks, Ann! It looks like she’s slowly but surely growing. My Lady Emma Hamilton has been one that has been growing ever so slowly the past couple of years - hopefully next year she’ll decide to grow more than 18 inches tall. I may put MM in a pot her first season to help give a boost.

  • 8 years ago

    How is the disease resistance on this

    Dave5bWY thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 8 years ago

    Dave - my three Lady Emmas planted together look like one shrub - see photo below! I never buy more than one of a plant but after my first LEH died in its first year, I knew that if I really wanted this rose I'd better get more than one. So I got three and planted them together as a focal point and now they look like about one shrub which tells you how slowly they've grown. In fact, MM is planted in front of LEH and next to Anne Boleyn, another lovely but slow growing compact rose. So I've got the slow pokes planted together. :))



    Kristine - not sure about disease with MM; maybe a little blackspot like Lady Emma even in my low disease environment.


    Ann

    Dave5bWY thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • 8 years ago

    I’ve grown a cluster of 3 Mary Magdalene’s for many years. One of my favorites because of the exquisite blooms, but sadly terribly susceptible to black spot. If you’re in a BS prone region and don’t wish to spray, you’ll have an ugly plant on your hands, albeit one with lovely flowers. Here in Zone 5 NH she has been quite hardy and remains about 3 feet tall. She’s one of my earliest bloomers and has excellent bloom quantity and repeat. I would not say she has ever lacked vigor, I recall good growth and bloom production from the first season. My plants are grafted.

    Dave5bWY thanked Baboosic z5b NH
  • 8 years ago

    Incredible blooms, ratdogheads! Thanks for sharing your experienc with MM. That’s too bad she’s so prone to BS for you. I may need to rethink purchasing her.