Software
Houzz Logo Print
amy_delgado46

Repaint cabinets or not????

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Just bought a house with an updated kitchen, but I don’t like how dark the cabinets are. I’m thinking of repainting them white to brighten it up. I’d like something like the last pic. What would you do? Repaint or not??



grey cabinets
white cabinets

Comments (21)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I would wait on this one. A new emerging design trend is natural wood cabinets. I think if you paint the cabinets white, you will end up dating your kitchen pretty quickly. I would say keep them as-is for 6 months and see how the design trend catches up to your natural wood cabinets. Painting is such a one way decision, so wait it out if you can!! I promise, you're about to have the kitchen everyone wants!!


    In the meantime, one easy way to brighten the place up is to get new light bulbs with a different color temperature. It looks like yours are the standard 2700K. I recommend you get 3500K or 3700K light bulbs and it with make your space so much more happy and bright. Try it before deciding on whether to paint!

  • 8 years ago

    Those are really attractive cabinets that harmonize so well with the brick wall and floors. Don't touch them for a good long while. Yes, definitely change the lighting to something amazing that works with the rustic/industrial vibe going on in the space.

    Hillsdale kitchen · More Info

    A couple wider lights over the island would brighten the whole space with complementary industrial track lights in white or stainless:

    Krasi Warm Bronze Chandelier/Pendant 4-Light · More Info


    Circa 1-Light Pendant, White Finish · More Info


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Just remember...once you paint over wood you'll always have to paint over it. Paint chips and wears. Years later you may want a new color and you make another change. Then you move out the next homeowner will paint over it. I wish the previous homeowners of my house never painted the house wood trim...layers upon layers of paint--so it's either remove the paint layers or remove and replace the beautiful trim work.

  • 8 years ago
    I agree the lighting situation is the problem first and foremost. I actually quite like your cabinets, they feel modern to me. Maybe change some other aspects and revisit.
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I’m thinking about just repainting the walls white and fixing the lighting if that’s the case.
  • 8 years ago

    Hope you do the lighting first before you repaint. The paint is actually perfect for the cabinets, brick wall, floors, etc. Move in first. If you haven't bought furniture yet, think creams and rosy reds just like the sofa in the photo. Another lighting possibility:

    4-Light Rectangular Chandelier, Cambridge Bronze · More Info


  • 8 years ago

    just check your whites with a patch sample, so you don't make your counter and backsplash look dingy by contrast.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Could you raise the blinds and take more photos in brighter daylight? acm is right that bright white can make everything else look dingy. The current wall color seems carefully chosen to work with the backsplash and cabinets.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Those are lovely cabinets that are complemented by the brick walls. I know it is difficult, but please try to resist the urge to paint them white. If you really feel that the kitchen is too dark consider changing the wall color, back splash, and/or lighting instead.

  • 7 years ago

    I love your cabinets and wouldn't change a thing. It you must change them please don't go white. White is so bland and uninspired

  • 7 years ago
    Your kitchen is stunning as is. The color variations of the wood are so beautiful. I would just change the lighting. They seem to be the oddball in the space. The wall color looks great already as well.
  • 7 years ago

    Slab doors with white paint on them lose all interest. You're left seeing the hardware and the gaps between the doors for want of something to look at. Boring, plain Jane, dull as dishwater...


    There was a thread here a couple of months ago where someone painted their slab doors white (because of a flood or some disaster) and was really regretting it.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    An awesome way to update this kitchen cosmetically is through cabinet resurfacing! Painting, however can be nice, is more of a temporary solution to problem. Painting can lead to chipping, peeling, fading and overall a non-refined look over a short time. Resurfacing is where your doors, drawer boxes, hinges and hardware would get taken off and the cabinet boxes would be resurfaced, not painted or stained, to dramatically change those darker boxes to white or grey. Then you pick out new door colors and door styles to match! This gets you the same end result of another option such as say a tear out with all new cabinets, however at a fraction of the time and fraction of the cost!.

    check out our website yourremodelingguys.com and try out our kitchen visualizer, it may help put some ideas into perspective for you! Let us know what you think!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    You can change some doors on the upper cabinets to add the lightness you crave.




  • 7 years ago

    The wood is gorgeous - I also vote for changing lighting to brighten things!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    What kind of floors are those??? I like the color.

  • 7 years ago

    I love the cabinets. I also agree that changing the light fixtures to something more interesting will go a long way. I would change the backsplash or add valances before touching the cabinets.

  • 7 years ago
    You guys I want to thank all of you for your advice. I really appreciate it! You were right, fixing the lightning was definitely the way to go. Kitchen looks so much brighter already!!
  • 7 years ago

    That looks like a completely different kitchen! Looks great!

  • 7 years ago
    The cabinets look even more amazing with the change of lights. Easy fix!