Software
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_gray15

What do I do with this ugly fireplace?

8 years ago
I love fireplaces and am so excited to have one in our new house but man this one is ugly. Anyone have any ideas for what we can do. I hate the hearth (have two kids under two so just screams danger). We want to mount TV over mantle. We are going with repose Grey for walk color. Any help with ideas would be greatly appreciate.

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I hate corner fireplaces and I certainly would not mount a TV in the corner furniture layout will be a nightmare . I often just ignore these when i design a space . Are you sure it even functions since it appears to just hold candles.

  • 8 years ago
    Yes, we checked that. Does function. (Husband is a home inspector :) ) Agree corner fireplaces blow.
  • 8 years ago

    I LOVE corner fireplaces. I don't like white ceramic tile tho. I like white cararra marble.



  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I would reface it similar to the photos in the discussion above... but I would put your TV on the wall to the left of the fireplace. Then arrange with couches and chairs. The fireplace will look nice but wont impede on your furniture placement due to the TV being in the corner. Congratulations on your new home! It’s beautiful!
  • 8 years ago



    I can recommend to install marble and nice wood work , that will be really pretty .

  • 8 years ago

    Maybe a short term fix would be to paint the mantel black?

  • 8 years ago
    Marble for sure!
  • 8 years ago

    I love my corner fireplace & it's covered in stacked stone. We have our tv mounted over it & it works great. I would go to the tile store & bring home several different tiles that you like. I love these transitional tiles.



  • 8 years ago

    I agree with you! That looks like bathroom tile to me. And the hearth is floating in the air which is weird. On the positive side, it looks really easy to remove the mantle and tear it out. Is it an actual fireplace like someone said?


    I would see if you can have the whole thing lowered as well. Or maybe consider just removing it altogether. The whole corner configuration is probably going to be a bully with your furniture placement.

  • 8 years ago
    If you remove the hearth you will have to install a very low one using the same footprint .
    This is because of the flooring.
  • 8 years ago

    Replacing the plain old white flooring tile with some cool decorative tile or marble would be an immediate improvement.


    The hearth is really weird - I'd fix it by making it rectangular or even extending to the walls and removing the toe kick (I think that's the most irksome aspect - hearths shouldn't have toe kicks).

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you all for your ideas! @aliciatro good idea in the tv mount on the other wall will def think about that.

    Love the blank mantel thought...as trying to convince my husband that black interior doors are also a good idea. :)

    Thanks again. I’m going to read over these again later when the kids go to bed and will likely have some more questions for some of y’all!
  • 8 years ago
    The raised hearth will be a bit safer with tinies about. Harder to topple against. And from experience, it’s easier to keep the surrounding area clean when it’s higher. That’s presuming it remains a wood burning fire.
  • 8 years ago
    You could do a bump out
  • 8 years ago
    The bump out will give you more height. Or you could remove the mantle and tile the whole wall and make it a feature wall like an accent wall.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Heris another side-mounted FP


    Santa Barbara Spanish Fireplace · More Info