Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tw6911

Linear Fireplace Queries

Tim W
5 years ago

Hi all, we are considering a linear F/P that will be very close to the floor and a TV above. I generally despise TV's above a standard FP because you have to bend your neck back so far. I am concerned about heat as we do not want a mantel above the FP, Some of these put out tremendous heat. Andy comments or suggestions?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Vancouver Gas Fireplaces
    5 years ago

Hi Tim, a few fireplace manufacturers have recently introduced cool wall systems - each manufacturer will have a different name for it. Basically, it's a system that re-directs the heat closer to the ceiling, making it safe to hang heat-sensitive materials closer to your fireplace opening. Please go to your local fireplace retailer and discuss this option with them.

• Tim W
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yep saw that, but there is a HUGE differnece in price. I was quoted almost $4000 USD higher for Napolean's cool wall system.

• scottandcathie
    4 years ago

We have three wall hung tv’s over 3 fireplaces. Obviously we like tv’s above the fireplace...lol ...we love looking at the fire while watching tv. In the kitchen, we put in a gas fireplace that was intended to be in a kitchen but is way too hot for a kitchen and the tv is fine. This tv has a reclaimed wood mantel below it and that may be protecting it. The tv hangs just a tad bit closer to the wall than the mantel. But the wall hung tv and mantel have been there since 2012 and all is fine. In our bedroom we just finished a remodel and took out the wood burner and put in a linear gas fireplace. This is a newer fireplace so the temp is adjustable but the fireplace co said since we do not have a mantel on this one that we should probably get a blower to push the heat out into the room instead of up. We just finished this so I cannot say yet about that one but wanted to tell you what the fireplace co said. I’m not worried too much. Before we had a mantel on the kitchen fp, we had a flat front box tv above that hot fp which was set flush into the brick wall a with no mantel and it was fine. Tv worked fine (2001-2012) until we remodeled, Actually, we were a bit frustrated that we had to pay someone to take that perfectly working flat front box tv away! Our family room fireplace is a wood burner which also gets very hot after a good hot bed of embers and it is fine too although there is a mantel on that as well. From our experience, I think you’ll be good to go. Hope this helps!