Software
Houzz Logo Print
laura_stockton36

Remodel Corner Fireplace

last month

I hate the Stone on this fireplace. It use to go to the ceiling. We removed it and dry walled. My husband built the mantle. I still hate the stone. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments (9)

  • last month

    It is Gas and 56” wide.. Floor to top of mantle is 58 1/2”.

  • last month

    Well, if you hate the stone, my only suggestion would be to remove it + add a new tile surround.

  • PRO
    last month

    The main problem for me is that the white mantel structure looks unfinished. It begins above the fireplace and then stops abruptly, while the stacked stone below feels like a completely separate element.


    I would remove the stone and continue the same white mantel style down both sides of the firebox, creating a complete traditional surround with vertical side sections. Directly around the gas insert, I would use a contrasting noncombustible material, such as dark stone or large-format dark porcelain tile with minimal grout lines. This would connect the fireplace with the traditional style of the room while giving the black firebox a clear frame.


    The current brown wooden mantel top does not work well with the white structure or the black firebox. If you want to preserve the natural wood grain, I would refinish it in a deep espresso or near-black wood tone. That would connect it visually with the firebox and the new dark surround. Any new wooden or painted components would, of course, need to meet the required clearances for the gas fireplace.


    Choosing the exact shade and material will depend on whether you want the finished room to feel lighter and more traditional or darker and more dramatic. I recently designed four different versions of the same living room, keeping a fireplace in every version but changing the colors, lighting, materials, furniture, and decor. Comparing the four interiors may help you choose the overall direction before rebuilding the surround:

    https://youtu.be/R-2ZyyBc6EY

  • last month

    There is only 11 inches either side of the fire box. As much as I would like a traditional surround there is not enough room for tile. Thank you for your suggestions.

  • 26 days ago

    Since the mantel is already substantial, I’d either use a large-format porcelain tile in a warm neutral tone, or even a smooth plaster/microcement finish around the firebox. Both would calm the wall down and work much better with the mantel and the wood flooring. Sth like this



  • 26 days ago

    Thank you. I do like what you have done with the tile surround.

  • 26 days ago

    I think the mantel is the wrong style for the FP and is throwing everything off. As nice as it is, it looks like the legs are missing. Maybe look into adding legs that go to the floor or remove it and try a rough hewn wood beam mantel.

  • 26 days ago

    Do you feel like you need to keep the mantel that your husband has built? That limits what can be done. The mantel projects out from the wall quite a bit - I assume that it lines up with the depth of the stone that is currently installed under it. Unless you build out the surround area under the mantel (after removing the stone), I feel like it will look odd because the mantel will project out too far over whatever is installed under it.


    Would painting the mantel and stone to match be a temporary fix until you decide exactly what you want to do OR are you ready to make whatever change you decide to do right now?



  • 26 days ago

    I have thought about removing the Mantel and just doing a tile or marble surround. As there is only 11 inches either side of the firebox, it does not leave room for a more traditional surround

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH