Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krissybquinn

kitchen island? if not, than what?

krissybquinn
5 years ago
I am in the middle of a kitchen renovation. I centered and widened the opening between my kitchen and dining room to 6 feet.

I don’t have a island made to match my cabinets but am wondering if I should add in an island. There is 9 x 14 feet of open space in the kitchen right know and it feels off.

I was also thinking of putting a kitchen table in but I feel like that is weird now because it opens into the dining room. I’m leaning towards getting an island that doesn’t match exactly and then putting kind of a cocktail table near the bench in the back. I’m having hard time adjusting to this open feeling. I’m thinking of wallpaper in the dining room to help define the space.

Comments (30)

• teamaltese
    5 years ago
    Why not a moveable, rolling cart? Or a piece of vintage furniture? There’s a ton of stuff you can use as a moveable surface. You don’t have room for an island with seating, it would be strictly for prep work.

We used this.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Perfect spot for cool moveable piece. You can go vintage or stainless style. Definitely good idea.
  • K R
    5 years ago
    Definitely moveable. There are some great ones out there. The kitchen is too closed to do an island. You’ll regret it.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I agree no island but a moveable cart is handy and can go where the bench is when not in use

• krissybquinn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @teamaltese I love that piece. Do you mind sharing where you purchased it?
  • krissybquinn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Maybe I can do the antique workbench or movable card as you guys suggested with runners on either side? And then a small cocktail table near the bench? The room just does not feel cozy right now
  • silviakunst
    5 years ago
    When you look into the kitchen , form the dining room , it seems you have the room for a lovely center island facing the door opening ..you can even put a couple of chairs in front ...so that when you look into the kitchen one could sit and face you , have breakfast or lunch ..or when you have guests , you can use it as a buffet table ...such a lovely large space ..no need to move it around on wheels ..
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

moveable carts move.... and the wrong tall table can be overbalanced. so consider what you wish to do on your island before you decide against something 'nailed to the floor'.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

What prompted you to widen the opening to the Dining if you were looking for cozy? Perhaps putting the wall back should be a consideration.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Here are some ideas.

Regal Kitchen Cart, Antique Black With Cherry Accents · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Tiberius Cuisine Cart, White, Stainless Top · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Alive in San Francisco · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Bohemian Condo · More Info

Loads of options, just a matter of style and budget!

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    5 years ago

I’m doing a stainless steel topped movable cart like Flo posted above.

My other thought is this, just because :).

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

That is so cute, just not sure how practical or utilitarian. But really cool.

• krissybquinn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @thecookskitchen I widened it because we previously used the dining room only 2-3 times a year and I have 4 small children that I need to keep an eye on. I thought widening it would be more functional for our family. Since opening it we have used the table every night and I can watch the kids color at the table while I prepare dinner. I am just not used to the look yet and need help making it look more inviting. Perhaps it was a mistake to open it, but now I am stuck with it!
  • krissybquinn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Annette. That is cute. Is it boos?
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

why not put some boxes in the middle of your kitchen.... and decide if it adds functionality to set something on top, or makes you crazy cuz you have to walk around something you didnt used to walk around.

• krissybquinn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have this Table in my living room. Perhaps I could try it in the kitchen… It’s 48 inches so it may be too big
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Round probably isn't best shape but nice table. Wouldn't hurt or cost to try it. Do you have sliders so you don't mess up the flooring! Beautiful wood floors and inlaid detail! Wow!

• joycedjay
    5 years ago
    Definitely an island piece of furniture - stationary or movable, although I doubt you’d ever really move it around. You need a landing from fridge to work area. Not too big, or you’ll be running around it. No to the cocktail table - it would be in the way. And the bench seems superfluous - like you had no place else to put it - unless the door go to an outside entry and you need someplace to sit to do shoes.
  • krissybquinn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @joycejay no the door is to a half bath. I thought putting the bench there with a little cocktail table would be a nice place for someone to have coffee or a glass of wine while I cook...I’ve been having coffee there in the morning because it’s just nice to sit by the window
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

krissybquinn I love the color of your Oak floors!! What stain color is that??

• Nidnay
    5 years ago

I think your kitchen can definitely accommodate a small island or cart of some kind (stationary or wheeled)....so many options to choose from....

• User
    5 years ago

Have you considered a small table? Perhaps you can use the bench on one side for seating.

Traditional Dining Room · More Info

Interiors of the Mill Neck Residence · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info

• krissybquinn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks! Floor stain is Minwax special walnut.
  • Nidnay
    5 years ago
    Looks GREAT!
  • krissybquinn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Photo
  • PRO
    Groysman Construction
    5 years ago

Hello. You have a beautiful kitchen. We have collected 10 ideas for creating a modern kitchen island. You can choose one type of kitchen islands here