knotty pine kitchen

Angela Lauria
5 years ago
I'm not sure how to update if I leave the cabinets as they are

Comments (13)

• jhmarie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

White appliances work well with warm wood, especially if going for a vintage vibe, however, stainless if fine too.

After seeing your living room on another post, I would probably do a cream on the walls and white trim. If you like deeper colors, a sage green - and those come in tones from dark to light.

I almost posted this pic on your living room post - these colors will work with the warm wood ceilings and warm toned flooring.

• smileythecat
    5 years ago

You have a lot of pine in that house, I would consider painting out the walls and leaving the ceiling, or the opposite.

• Angela Lauria
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Another view
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

With that many cabinets, I might switch the dishwasher and sink cabinet even if it meant losing an upper cabinet. You could put some shelves over the sink, though a larger window would lighten up the space. However, I just noticed changing dishwasher and sink cabinet will affect the symmetry of the window and cabinet under - which makes a bigger window my preferred option.

This is bigger than you need - but notice the offset sink with the larger window:

This is my wood kitchens idea book - lots of warm toned cabinets if you want to keep the wood cabinets. It might give you some ideas for color combinations - wall, countertops etc.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

• PRO
    Randy Trainor
    5 years ago

If you want to keep the layout, and work with what you have, then we think the best way to update is to remove the wallpaper. Paint the walls a new color, get new hardware, update the lighting, and update the appliances if they need it. Also if you want to update the countertops if they need it that might be nice as well. Here are some good images from a design we did that might help:

Alpine Ski Home · More Info

Alpine Ski Home · More Info

• jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Paint the ceiling white or Farrow and Ball’s BORROWED LIGHT. The counter layout needs to be rethought to give you more practical space for working.
  • mvcanada
    5 years ago

Good Lord, it is a pine lovers dream. That really is a LOT of pine for any one room. What is your budget and what is your wish list? Do those two things come anywhere near matching?

I think you have to paint some of that pine or remove it altogether. If it were mine, I'd start with the wainscoting in the dining area. Pull it out or paint it. And the ceiling in both areas could use some paint too. Personally I feel all that orange pine is very oppressive.

Get rid of the wallpaper and border. And you need way more lighting in the work area of the kitchen.

I'd consider replacing the floor and that peninsula isn't doing you any favours. Is there a way you could use some of the wainscoting wood and box in that peninsula area so that you could have storage on the work side and it could be a nook for people seated on the far side? The wide openness of it with just the pillar stuck out on its own somehow just doesn't feel right to me.

The counters are very dark as well. If you are keeping the cupboards and the layout and you have the budget, I'd replace the counters. It looks like a laminate counter there now and you may be very surprised to see some of the very nice laminate available these days. I wouldn't put money into stone or quartz on top of those cabinets, but if that is your fancy, you can certainly do it.

Then a new backsplash and change out those wooden switch plate covers so they blend into your backsplash.

How does that sound? If you give us some of your ideas and what your budget allows, you will get lots of feedback on how to improve or replace.

• Angela Lauria
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Randy Trainor, I love the counter tops in the pics you posted! I would love to paint the room and change the light fixtures and cabinet hardware. I would like to update without going nuts with spending. Any color ideas?
  • Angela Lauria
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Mvcanada any suggestions on color scheme? I would like to change the counters and backsplash. Any ideas?
  • happyleg
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Cheaper to move stove than plumbing. Love the pine.

• mvcanada
    5 years ago

Hi Angela,

Are you ok with laminate counters to replace what you've got or have you got others materials in mind. I just had a quick look at Formica (the first laminate brand that came to mind) and I found a few I thought would look nice.

Sea pearl, I like this one because the neutral greenish background will go well with the pine but also the darker veining will help pull things together. I'm struggling to decide if the background is green or grey but I think both colours could work in your space.

If it were my space, I'd start by painting the ceiling and I think I'd go white. While you are working on the ceiling get an electrician in to give you some more light.

Then I'd remove the wainscoting in the dining area and paint the walls and any wall in the kitchen area a similar colour to the green in the sea pearl counter from above.

Soapstone Sequoia is another one that might work well for you.

Or, an option is to go quite dark with your counters and lighter colours elsewhere. Ferro Grafite. This one could be quite nice. Looks like your door handles are black already. If you want a change you could likely find a different style black that might modernize the look a bit and play well with a dark counter. Then maybe a new black faucet as well.

If you chose that, how would you feel about painting the door and window trim black, or a dark graphite colour? And then choose a wall colour from the light veining colour in the counters. What a huge difference that would be.

If you do choose laminate, don't get the molded backsplash piece like you have now. Just flat laminate and then you can put in a tile backsplash. That choice is going to be dependent on your counter choice so make the counter choice first. I'm liking the Ferro Grafite one because it has depth of colour. If you chose the lightest grey in the counters and found a tile for your backsplash, together with black trim and offwhite walls, it would make a massive difference to that room.

I feel like you need to consider changing the flooring. I see pink and orange, and you don't need more of either of those colours going on.

I know these can be overwhelming decisions. The big box stores have samples of the laminates and you can usually take 2 X 2 samples home with you. Pick up a few of each colour that you like so you can get a bigger picture of what it will look like.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    If the cabinets are in good condition, and can be removed from the wall still in good condition, you could come up with a much better layout. If they were built in place or can't be removed without damaging them, I wouldn't spend anything on them. If a kitchen isn't functional (meaning a good arrangement with plenty of counter work space, electrical outlets, etc.), it's a waste of money to refinish cabinets or replace poorly-located sinks and appliances.
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH