Software
Houzz Logo Print
pippacovalent

Old Blush China

7 years ago

I think I'm becoming more obsessed with antique roses all the time. I came across a unique looking rose today and am fairly sure it was Mutabilis. So in reading about Mutabilis I learned that it is a China rose so read more about Chinas and discovered Old Blush which I'm completely in love with and want to find a place for. Am I correct in that it can be grown as a shrub OR a climber? Or are there 2 separate versions of it? The only spot left where I think I can squeeze it in would be a spot for a climber.

Comments (23)

  • 7 years ago

    Pippa, the climbing version of Old Blush is different than the shrub. I've read that Cl. Old Blush may not bloom as much as the shrub version, but the ones I've seen here in zone 8a/b repeat bloom very well all season. It's a charming old rose and in the right climate, very healthy...one of the first and last to bloom.

    pippacovalent thanked debrak6
  • 7 years ago

    Wow...so beautiful!! I'm really going to need to make room for a lot more roses than I had anticipated lol.

  • 7 years ago

    pipacovalent - where, approximately, do you live? The reason I ask is that most china roses like warm climates, and hate cold climates. If yours is in the middle, I would strongly recommend that you get some LOCAL advice from a Rose Society, or anyone who grows china roses in your area, to see which ones, if any, might thrive in your climate. I just did not want you to start ordering a bunch of china roses if they will not like your climate.

    Jackie

    pippacovalent thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 7 years ago

    I'm in zone 7 in a semi arid climate so I think I'm okay, but I'll ask next time I'm at the botanical gardens near me. Thanks!

  • 7 years ago

    I too love the red Chinas, Jeri. CS here.





  • 7 years ago

    Love those photos!

  • 7 years ago

    And CS with the late-day sun on it like that is simply un-beatable.

  • 7 years ago

    I grow the climbing Old Blush here in zone 8A Augusta, GA. It is very healthy and over the course of 10 years or so it has begun blooming on and off through the fall. When I first planted it I didn't realize there were both types and I couldn't figure out why it didn't bloom more.

  • 7 years ago

    For what it's worth, I live somewhere between zones 6 and 7 in Arizona. I have the chinas or china hybrids Eugene de Beauharnais and Ducher, both having no problem this last winter as container shrubs. EdB especially put out flush after flush of flowers this year, its first in a decent sized pot.

    pippacovalent thanked Genevre
  • 7 years ago

    EdeB is a curious rose, Not very China in its characteristics, and probably more in the Bourbon line than China.

    And that may be because it may not be the original EdB. Vintage called it "Le Grande Capitaine", being of the belief that it was not actually the China introduced in 1838, and was not a China, but a Bourbon.

    I obtained it as EdeB, and a China/Bourbon -- so that's what I continue to call if. But I'll bow to Gregg Lowery's expertise on this one.

  • 7 years ago

    I have Old Blush.Its tough.It blooms on and off all summer for me with minimal care.

  • 7 years ago

    I have several Clbg Old Blushes. I adore this rose, even though it drops most of it's leaves after it's first flush, gets mildew, and does not bloom constantly. But when it is in bloom,it just charms me. I plan to plant clematis with them; the leaves of the clematis will "cover" for Clbg OB when it's going through it's ghastly phase. I think the problem for it here is that the winters aren't cold enough, so it hangs onto it's decrepit leaves too long,and never really goes dormant. So it needs to take a break and do a brief dormancy after it's big flush.

    pippacovalent thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    bart, now that the winters here are much warmer (no freezing temperatures ever, where before it went down to freezing at times for at least two months), I have the same problem of old, ugly leaves hanging on which I try to fix with a hard stream of water from the hose, but of course that's not an option for you. Self-cleaning roses are the bomb!

    Sheila, may I come live at your house? So beautiful!

  • 7 years ago

    I'm sure you'd fit in just fine here, Ingrid. I remember thinking I wished you would buy the property across the street with the beautiful barn on it, when it changed hands. Now I have to worry what the new owner could do to the barn. With you there, we could have been secure. Of course, you would have to build a house there, so you probably could have just lived over at my home with your husband and looked at the view of your property. My husband would be fine with that .

    Archduke Charles for another china.

  • 7 years ago

    I got Old Blush and it finally had one bud. Still very small but I am dying to see it's bloom. Have to transfer it to bigger pot then to the ground by next year hopefully in Spring or Summer depending on it's growth.
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    How exciting Jin you have to post photos in the Spring too :)

  • 7 years ago
    I will post it as it opens.. lol.
    I know it is only one bud but it is so exciting. It is a cutting that was given to me by another Rosarian. I was not expecting but surprised it is an old Blush. So, I am looking forward to it's growth :)
    I am so thrilled and can't wait for it to open...lol
    jin
  • 7 years ago

    It finally bloom today. Here it is......

    jin

    pippacovalent thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Jeri, where did you get your Elizabeth’s China rose? I could only find it online out of state and that seems silly.

  • 7 years ago

    That is not silly, Amanda. Sometimes it is the only way to get a treasure. Sadly, there are very limited places selling these beauties. I totally agree it seems illogical.

  • 7 years ago

    I just mean I’m in the central valley often but I’m assuming you’re not supposed to just go to the cemetery and snip a cutting? But maybe there is a place in Sacramento that has plants from it. I saw that there is a yearly rose sale. I’m not very good with calling around so I wanted to find out if there was a secret place before shipping a plant from florida.

  • 7 years ago

    Totally makes sense Amanda. Getting one from the cemetery sale would be great.