Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21884067

..the Peter Beales Drop List...

7 years ago

Once they're gone, they're gone... Nearly 200 roses on this list,... I wish I had room but this is the way it's going...


..I realise this isn't much use to most members here unless you can import, but if you have a few minutes to spare you might see some old favourites..


Beales Roses... last chance to buy...

Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago

    To us, at this moment, it seems sad, but this is the way it's always gone. Pretty much everything "old" is replaced by what's new. That tells you what is old isn't selling, or selling in sufficient quantities to make them worth propagating and stocking. It was possible in the US to buy Centifolias, Noisettes, Teas, Chinas, even species from the Armstrong catalogs well into the 1970s. A few years later and Vintage was the only "larger" catalog listing them. I fear it won't be that long until you see similar there. Sad, but the way of the world.

  • 7 years ago

    I can't import and have no more room anyway but it was nice to gawk at some lovely rose porn on a rainy day, thanks!

  • 7 years ago

    But I think some of those removals would make Beales sad.

  • 7 years ago

    Sometimes I wonder if these cycles of availability with old roses is related to the longevity of them as plants -- eventually, each current wave of gardeners runs out of room, and these roses aren't replaced as often as new roses that are still being trialed. Eventually, the demand swells again, as new gardeners seek old roses, and they get put back in stock. I imagine the mother plants of these roses will continue surviving, waiting for when their pruned bits will be turned into new plants again.


    :-)


    ~Christopher

  • 7 years ago

    I agree Jerijen, some of these I don't think he ever would have considered removing such as Allgold and Dainty Maid. He considered those two of the greats of his mentor E.B. LeGrice and I've long wanted DM. Whew! What beauties! : (( It's funny that they're discontinuing Lafter and ARE is advertising it specially this week.

  • 7 years ago

    I've had a number of these at one point or another. The only one I have currently is Arthur de Sansal.


    There are some really well known names in that list: La Reine, General Jacqueminot, Louis Philippe, just to name a few.


    The old Hybrid Tea 'Polly' looks really nice. I doubt it would look like that for me, though. The sunset colors tend to fade to buff or white in my hot climate.

  • 7 years ago
    That is sad. It is hard decision to make what stays and what goes . I just got into roses to me they are so beautiful and if I was living in England...I wouldn't know which to get since they are so many of them.

    Marlorena which ones are you getting if you are that is ?

    I only saw first page of 16 and second. I could not bear to see more. It made me really sad.
    jin
  • 7 years ago

    I just tried to order a couple but sold out already.... none of their 'New for 2018' excite me in any way whatsoever...

  • 7 years ago

    Rough count, if they could get to Australia, just under 40 plants.

  • 7 years ago

    There are so many beautiful roses on this list, it is sad to think about them being discontinued. I hope market conditions improve for old roses, in the future.

  • 7 years ago

    Let's hope that they will retain the mother plants. If they do, they could bring them back occasionally.

  • 7 years ago

    So many roses that I recognized (or at least their names) and it was lovely to see them, perhaps for the last time, since they are not roses that are often seen here. Thank you, Marlorena, for allowing us to admire them, although I hate to think that some may not be grown again. Many I'm sure live on in old gardens in quiet corners of England, and that is a wonderful thought.

  • 7 years ago

    I would get Columbian Climber and Double Pink Scots Rose among others. There are some real classics on the list. Too bad they need to be replaced by novelty.

  • 7 years ago

    So many lovely’s Marlorena. I really like that apricot rose Vanguard along with a number of others, they are absolutely gorgeous, and I can’t believe they are letting so many go! It’s quite a collection to lose. Their website says they can’t carry every cultivar. So does that mean they are going to replace them with new varieties?

    User thanked Seeingreen
  • 7 years ago

    Well, it seems that way, it's how things are going everywhere these days, they have to make hard business decisions like this I suppose, but I was shocked to realise that it's almost 1/5th of their inventory that's being lost there, and I think over the next few years there will be a whole lot more gone by the wayside...

  • 7 years ago

    I am like you jin, I read to the bottom of the first page and when I got as far as Belle Portugaise, I just couldn't read anymore. It gave me a physical pain in the stomach.

    Days later I have built up the courage to read further and it is even worse than I thought.

    I hope that they will at least send plants to other rose nurseries, otherwise it would be criminal!

    The fact that they have included my beloved Colombian Climber, leaves me speechless. If this was a new rose to-day, it would be lauded. Where else is anyone going to find a rose that flowers 365 days a year in a warm climate? Now that the UK is getting warmer, it is the perfect small climber for the home market.

    Words fail me.

    Daisy


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Daisy, I've had my eye on that Columbian Climber ever since you showed us photos of it, but they don't do it any favours by insisting that it's a warm climate rose and needs protection from frosts.. it's enough to put anyone off... I would love to have tried it, and I'm still tempted but I'm out of room now... but I don't want to see the rose go... so I'm thinking on it...


    I should add of course that Trevor White's sell it too, so all is not lost completely with this rose... and to be honest I would probably get it from them if I wanted it..