Software
Houzz Logo Print
john_benchley

Purchases for building a new house

7 years ago

So my wife and I are in the process of building a new house, however it has occurred to me that there are smart purchases to be made while building the house or to try to include to make the house even better "more convenient".


Once such item that i thought of recently was a standby generator attached to the house. We will be out in the country a a bit and I think it would be a very good idea to have one. I was really hoping i could get some ideas (or links) from all of you on other items that i may not be thinking of. Another example would be USB ports in outlet plugs.


Please help me make my new home AMAZING!!!



Thanks in advance.

Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago

    I tried to do this as well back in the spring when we started gutting/rebuilding our house. Things we did/are doing:

    • We wired our great room for sound/speakers.
    • We wired our skylights for automatic shades (although I don't know for sure if we will need them). We considered wiring some of our windows as well, but decided against it.
    • We are getting some Caseta smart dimmers that will work with Alexa and other smart home systems.
    • We wired for mirror defoggers in our bathrooms.
    • We blocked for grab bars and for our wall mounted TV.
    • Added extra electrical for a possible speed oven in the future and a future greenhouse.
    • We built a refrigerated closet for wine.
    • We got a sink with an integrated dish drainer.


    I am sure there will be things I wish we had thought of, but you can't think of everything!

    John Benchley thanked Robin Morris
  • 7 years ago
    I would suggest more electrical outlets that you think you need (the future is not going to become less digital), and definitely USB sockets.

    I would also wire in ethernet sockets, as that reduces dependency on your WiFi network.

    More than one TV antenna or satellite socket so that you have the flexibility to move the TV to a different part of the room easily.

    If you are away for longish periods, wiring for electric curtains or blinds might be useful.
  • 7 years ago
    Yes the USB plus are great, I didn’t do them everywhere but in the kitchen and bedrooms we did. A generator is great if you have natural gas, we just did one as we live in hurricane prone south Florida and it was about $15k. Recessed LED lighting and a LOT of it. You can never go wrong with too much lighting, and you’ll never have to change the bulbs. Flooring that you know you can live with forever, because changing flooring is a real PITA (just went through a remodel lol). A great laundry room, preferably upstairs. Good windows, spend the $ on them. Good HVAC, saves you so much money in the long run. Spend more on your master bathroom and less in kids’ rooms and bathrooms, they just destroy them! LOL
  • 7 years ago

    We included an outlet in our toilet room in the master bathroom for a night light and had four plex outlets put in on both sides of our master bed.

  • 7 years ago
    Electric outlets in bathroom cabinets for charging groomers. Outlets in living room floor for future lamp lighting. Charging station in peninsula drawer
  • 7 years ago

    I agree with K Laurence on the electrical outlets. Also water spigot on more than one side of the house. If you have natural gas run a gas line outside for a gas grill. No more messing with propane. Spot lights that can be turned on and off from each level. Wire for cameras. We have had wireless and wired cameras and the wired are more dependable. Man door in garage.

  • 7 years ago

    Put in every type of electrical outlet you might need. We added a 30amp outlet to plug in the RV when we are getting it ready to go somewhere. My DH also put in a 220V outlet in the garage for a welder. Since the garage is in the basement and not heated, he also added a gas line (pipe) for an electric heater near his work bench. I put in a 1/2 bath in his garage so when his car buddies are over and hanging out for hours they can use that bathroom and not have to come in the house. Consider all of this if you have a large garage or workshop.

    Also, put at least one window on at least two walls of every room if possible. I took that advise from this forum when designing my house and I honestly think that was one of the best things I did for my home. I have loads of natural light and cross breezes.

  • 7 years ago

    One more thing that is awesome... retractable screens everywhere. No more looking at ugly screens!

  • 7 years ago

    Snap Power guide lights.



  • PRO
    7 years ago

    heated floors, also outdoor heated floor for when it snows. you wont have to shovel- makes things convenient.

  • 7 years ago
    Another vote for you can never have too many electrical outlets. Add some in closets too (especially utility type closets) & don’t forget to put enough in the garage & bathrooms as well. Hose spigots in multiple, easy to access locations. Make sure the thermostats are in smart places, i.e. not across from the fireplace or in a double story entry, or it will make it hard to keep the temperature comfortable in the rest of the house. Add extra insulation between the walls. Don’t forget to leave access panels to shower or tub plumbing in bathrooms if the setup allows. If you have pets & want to install a pet door, make sure you’ve got a suitable door & location for that somewhere.
  • 7 years ago

    Garage 50A 220 outlet for EV or welding equipment. An RV can use it with an adapter.

  • 7 years ago

    Think about where you will be hanging heavy items such as mirrors (bathrooms and decor style mirrors) art work, hooks for mudrooms, closet poles and shelves, garage storage shelves and hooks.....you get the idea the list is long. Once you plan that out have wood added to those areas so you can hang these items directly into studs/wood instead of having to depend on or use drywall anchors. It will make a huge difference. We did this in our pre drywall phase. It takes a bit of planning but its worth it.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    If you have larger windows with beautiful views, that won't look right with the traditional window coverings, I would plan for concealed window shades. For example, this kitchen window. If you look close enough, you can see the space where the window shade is concealed and stored...



    Provides privacy, a nice custom look and convenience.

    Here's an even better view at a different location:



    Hope this helps!

  • 7 years ago

    I would plan for concealed window shades. For example, this kitchen window.

    If you're planning for shades or blinds in the kitchen, make sure they're washable.

    Also, when you're planning windows, take window treatments into account. If you're planning on unusually large or unusually shaped windows, window coverings will be even more expensive. If you want curtains, make certain not to place windows right next to a corner with too limited space for stack back.

  • 7 years ago

    Keep asking EVERONE in the trade for their recommendations. Its amazing what they store away in their memory from all the houses they've built. Some truly fabulous ideas as well as practical advice. They've built many houses for many different kinds of folks with lots of different ideas, you're building one. I'm always asking . . .and how would YOU do . . . .? And if I didn't particularly love their answer I'd ask . . .what's the worst . . . you've ever seen and why. I've been very appreciatively of the answers I've received so far during my building process. GOOD LUCK!