Software
Houzz Logo Print
bluemooses474

Exterior Needs an Update

13 years ago
Please give suggestions for updating the exterior of our 10-unit condo building (5 units on each level) built in 1966. The construction is concrete bricks with a small patio area in front of the lower 5 units and a long, undivided balcony in front of the top 5 units. The HOA is unable to afford a major renovation, but we would like to improve the curb appeal.

Comments (17)

  • 13 years ago
    I think it really depends on how much money you are willing to spend, like westmanmarine suggested, new windows would really update the building. A relatively inexpensive update would of course be paint, chosing modern colors to paint the entirety of the building as well as the front doors and shutters would look great. Choose a neutral for the building and something more vibrant for the doors. New banisters could also update the look. I think the greenery is really beautiful, but could use a bit of trimming, this is in reference to the bushes just out front which seem to be just a tad out of control.
    bluemooses474 thanked katekingg
  • 13 years ago
    I appreciate the ideas! Westmanmarine - It's zone 5a at elevation of about 5000' with low humidity and snow in the winter. Katekingg - Building is currently tan with white trim on fascia. What color would you suggest for doors and shutters? Both the same color or doors different color than shutters? Does anyone have suggestion for the partitions on the first level with the open concrete brick design?
  • 13 years ago
    For the first level concrete partitions, are you wanting to remove them? If there's nothing structural, you could change them out with wood panels (see below), or you could get creative with sheet metal, which you could put over the concrete and trim out the edges. See the pictures below for some creative options with sheet metal.

    Patio Deck-Art Designs® NEW 2013 · More Info

    Rear 265-269 Mt Alexander Road Ascot Vale · More Info

    Villa Nuevo · More Info


    This house has a pretty color palette. If you don't go with the rust color (from the wood), the tan and the charcoal look nice (nice rail system too):
    Green Lines · More Info
    bluemooses474 thanked westmanmarine
  • 13 years ago
    Partitions are structural, to support the balcony. I like the sheet metal idea and the railings. Thanks.
  • 13 years ago
    I think grey tones are a bit more modern. I cannot really tell exactly what color the building is now, a yellow or pink? I think you could do a different color on the shutters and the doors, they are different currently. Do you like the look of that now?
  • 13 years ago
    Although with grey you would have to be careful as it could get a bit dull. Maybe a taupe or "greige" I think the door look great white, and maybe painting the shutters white would help clean up the look of the building. It is really a personal preference. The picture I attached has a nice, modern color scheme.
    bluemooses474 thanked katekingg
  • 13 years ago
    Also, colored flowers could help brighten up the appearance without having to commit to bright paints.
    bluemooses474 thanked katekingg
  • 13 years ago
    Shutters are doing you no favors, remove them. See if you can paint the aluminum on the exterior windows dark bronze, if you can't afford to replace them.

    I think your posts should all be black.

    Paint the doors =sage green
    [houzz=
    Seattle Craftsman House · More Info
    ]
    Change all white to cream (Don't forget the ceilings)
    & paint the bricks a darker taupe.
    [houzz=
    Mediterranean Landscape · More Info
    ]

    Cover the circle patterns with wood screens like this
    [houzz=
    ESG Unit One · More Info
    ]
    of this [houzz=
    California Street · More Info
    ]
    bluemooses474 thanked felixgrantham
  • 13 years ago
    A lot of wonderful ideas to consider. Thanks!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Depending on your budget and where you're located. I would take a tour of the area near you and find the new construction condos and take a few photos of current design trends. You could possibly use some of the ideas on your building. From what I see ... I would ... possible ideas below:
    - paint the facsia and all trim, a stronger contrast color
    - beef up the posts between railings
    - change the railings to horizontal rails
    - or partial wall with railings between units (for aesthetics to break up the long railing design).
    - remove the shutters
    - add wider molding around the windows and paint a contrast color fitting for your area.
    - add one or two additional staircases, one in the middle and/or one on the right side (same as left staircase)
    - change the privacy walls between units, or paint center blocks, what you have in a contrast color (same as window trim)
    - three large potted plants or evergreen flowering vines at left, middle and right of structure, near the porch edges.
    - definately add a fountain in the center near a tree. Add concrete benches with back support around the fountain.
    - landscaping, and small garden areas.

    If you add staircases, you could possibly get a higher price due to the privacy and less traffic in front of the units. Separate entrances to some units. Not sure if this could work for you for budget or building codes.
    Condo design 1 · More Info

    Condo Design 3 · More Info

    Condo Design 2 · More Info

    Condo Design 4 · More Info
    bluemooses474 thanked LB Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks LB Interiors! Great suggestions! I'll look into costs to determine how many we can implement.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You're welcome!
    P.S. For the fountain. some commercial business buildings have changed they're water fountains to a planted garden instead, to cut water costs.
    Planted water fountain · More Info
    bluemooses474 thanked LB Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    Rather than updating it, I would play up the retro and go with more color, especially on the doors/storms and those dividers. and keep the shutters black. That alone could be quite striking. And I would really consider beefing up the metal supports, top and bottom, and if you can afford it, maybe the railings too. Casing the poles in stained wood and using cable railings might be an affordable option.

    The underside of the balconies are looking a bit worn, so that might be something to consider--if not the whole thing, then maybe some sort of batten on the seams.

    Wider casings are not really an option on a masonry structure, but you could paint the sills perhaps. I think new windows are too much of an expense, and agree that landscaping is a worthwhile way to fresh it up. I think a fountain is just a liability and mechanical headache.

    Here's 50- 60's color palettes to consider in the top row. Actually the colors that are in the planted fountain could work--orange-red, turquoise, chartreuse, aqua, yellow-orange, cobalt blue etc... More muted tones might be OK, like moss or sage greens, burnt orange, mustard yellow, brick, which is more of an Arts and Crafts palette, bottom row.
    bluemooses474 thanked victorianbungalowranch
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I forgot to mention, I think you could add railings to the ground level also. The design might be more balanced. The lower level units can have a bit more privacy for a balcony effect.
    bluemooses474 thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You can add raised masonry wider trim around the windows. The shutters tend to feel a cottage or country look. It depends what style you are wanting. More modern or country. Either will work.
    bluemooses474 thanked LB Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    For quite a while we’ve wanted to give the building more curb appeal but didn’t know what to do. I’m so glad I found Houzz and have received such good responses. Many thanks to all of you! From the photos it’s difficult to tell that the building is tan with white trim and dark green shutters, doors, and railings – last painted about 10 years ago.