0

Are you growing any seedlings?

lindalana
last modified: November 3, 2018

Just got a ton of seeds from Korean snow. Tempted to start them right away. Any pro and cons?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i started too early just once .... and then about two months before i could take them outdoors .... i couldnt pot them up anymore ... in other words.. i was too successful ....

so ... i started cleaning and planting seed.. after about 1/1 .... and the timing was much better ... besides.. this works out a bit better in regard to holiday activities .....

that said .... do it whenever you want .... or do them in waves .... nowhere is it written.. they all have to be done at once ....

is KS fertile????

ken

lindalana thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • frogged

Hi, I think that Koren Snow is on the difficult to breed list or something like that. I also got some seeds from KS this fall I have had the plant 3 years ish and I think this is the first year it set pods that were collectable. The pods were green, and I waited for them to turn brown and start popping open they have the black seeds so Im hopeful they are viable. Hopefully others can chime in with their success with this one. As for me I am waiting until Jan Feb to start them. Ken what method do you use to germinate - paper towel in a bag direct sow ?? Curious minds would like to know

lindalana thanked frogged
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

a picture is worth a 1000 words

• ademink

Last time I grew seeds was around 2007....firing it all up again this winter. Good call on the 1/1, ken. Thanks for the reminder

lindalana thanked ademink
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

all OP seed ... white tags are cut up min blinds with penciled on momma names ...

planted in rows ....

dampened seedling media .. much finer than the usual .... 72 degree heat pad because the plant stand is in the basement ... and basements are cold in MI ....

all green seedlings were culled at potting up stage ... to 6 0z cups .... unless some very noticeable traits apparent at the 4 leaf stage ...

ken

• ademink

I have a really hard time culling. I have "what if???" syndrome. I know that probably isn't shocking to you at all. hahahaha i have so many northern exposure seedlings - good lord. solid blue, green and yellow....and in w/ "nice" plants that look similar but w/ no labels. it's a hot mess.

lindalana thanked ademink
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i have so many northern exposure seedlings - good lord. solid blue, green and yellow

==>>>> imo .... who needs another green. and they would all go.. probably 70 to 90% of the whole amt ....

being a blue freak.. i would keep them longer ... and yellow is odd enough ... so those also ... and yes.. you can see the blue glaucous cloudiness at the 2 to 4 leaf stage ....

but the big problem would be how long NE takes to mature.. dude.. your looking at a 5 to 7 to 9 year .. crikey ... who has that kind of attention span ...

time to maturity was one of the variables i took into consideration in seed growing ...

ken

• ademink

hahahaha...these seedlings are now 11 years old. a couple of the yellows are seriously fabulous. i need to make sure they aren't named cultivars that i accidentally thought were my plants but they are in where i planted all of my seedlings.

many of the greens and "almost blues" were sent to live w/ others. the blues are ok...none are screaming blue. there were a few that i kept just to see what happens.

i dont have any seedlings yet this year...just seeds. i'm going to grow seeds from:

Galaxy

Dorothy Benedict Streaky Seedling (i think? idk what this plant is)

Guacamole

Marbled Cream

Montana Ginrei

Stingray

Sprintzer

Gothic Charm Sport

Arch Duke

Neptune OP Seedling

Royal Standard

lindalana thanked ademink
  • beverlymnz4

As people have been saying starting early requires more repotting. I don't host Christmas or New Years. I'm the Thanksgiving hostess so I might start a few in December but otherwise its 1/1 for me too. I have the time to repot but not the space. Once you pot them up a second time they take up the whole house. Hostas everywhere.

lindalana thanked beverlymnz4
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

and of course.. there's lots of prep that can be done in advance ....

seed cleaning can be done anytime.. they can be held in a plain old envelope ... dont need to be planted immediately ...

cleaning and bleaching all tools.. pots... etc ...

buying the right media ... sterilizing it ... pre-wetting it ....

setting up a light stand ... or grow area ...

a big job can be broken down into many individual hours of pleasure ...

ken

BTW: a lot of peeps used to put the sown seed on top of the fridge.. because it was a constant heat source ... todays high efficiency fridges.. dont put out the heat to be used this way .... but it is up near the ceiling.. where all the heat is anyway ... short of a ceiling fan ....

• ademink

how do you clean yours? it's such a pain to try to feel every tiny wing and ferret out a good seed. i may try the sieve method. or i may throw them in the yard. lol

lindalana thanked ademink
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i dry them completely .. i grind them thru a dollar store teacup strainer ...

ken

seedling a couple weeks after first potting ... 6 oz solo

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i just grind them thru the mesh with my thumb .... seeds are hard enough to not be bothered.. and a majority of the chaff just dusts thru .... the rest goes on a plate.. for further cleaning ....

if you went to college since the 60's.. im sure you get the drift.. lol ... ;) wink ...

one major suggestion ... if you have to sneeze because of the dust ... turn away FAST ... else your seeds will be all over the room .. lol

couldnt find it at dollar store ....

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/kitchen-utensils-and-gadgets/kitchen-utensils-and-gadgets/6166086

• ademink

hahaha i'll take my allegra and get to grinding ...makes perfect sense!

lindalana thanked ademink
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if the seed wings are not dry enough.. they will clog the strainer ...... just stop and dry them longer ...

if dry .. they will just crush thru the strainer leaving you shiny hard black seeds ...

for the same reason.. i used to sterilize the media before use ...

the reason to do this.. is that the wings can bring pathogens to your media ... perhaps causing molds ... mildews and algae in the future ... not real big problems with hosta babes ... but it much easier to avoid a problem rather than cure a future problem ....

ken

http://tipnut.com/sterilize-soil/

• ademink

i vaguely recall baking my soil back in the day. its about the only thing i've baked in my oven! lol

thanks for the info! i'm ready to grow some stuff!!

lindalana thanked ademink
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you can do smaller batches in the microwave... dampen first .. as soon as you see steam.. good enough

ken

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Like a few of us, I have Volunteer seedlings all over my yard. Mother Nature does my work. I have no room for grow lights, etc. More power to all of you that give it a try, hope you create some goodies!

Sherry

lindalana thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • lindalana

I have found that by using good air flow I eliminate majority of soil issues. Started batch of mini seeds just to keep time going. I should be going full force 1.1

• M MW

Thought I would bump this back up to see who's started some seeds! This is my first year trying and there's no hope for me now...I'll be doing it every year

• M MW

My little setup

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

m mw .. great follow up.. thx ... bored out of my mind in january .. lol ...

your setup echos mine ... what kind of lights.. can you move the lights closer to the plants.. or move the tray up to the light ...

the key is light intensity .. and with my plain old florescents .. an inch or two was best ... and that presumes you have no heat issue ... my set up was n the basement in winter in MI ... heat was not an issue.. lol ...

but if you do move yours.. do it slowly.. harden them off to each change ...

also ... i used gal milk jug with water.. and just enough water sol fert that the water looked a little blue.. and used it every time i watered.. VERY diluted ...

ken

• M MW

Thanks Ken! They are LED lights, not sure on the exact strength. They are touching the top of the domes now so cant move them any closer. I do think I will have to order a second set down the road and have 2 lights on each shelf. Since it's my first go around I was hoping just something would grow! Haha!

Good to know about the fertilizer, great tip! Any particular kind you use? I haven't had to water them much as of yet, I was having some dampening off starting I believe so I'm waiting until they start to look dry or get big enough to water again...unless that's not how to do it!

I do have heat mats under 2 of the trays which I have read conflicting comments on them but they have really helped speed the germination from what I can tell. Right now they work since I only have a few tray but once I grow more trays I won't use them anymore - just rely on the lights.

My kids love going down and checking on them with me, bought a lighted magnifying glass so they all take turns looking at them!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i have no experience with led ... you'll have to figure it out yourself ....

once a majority of the seeds have sprouted ... get rid of the domes ...

i used heating pads.. because the basement was cold .... once sprouted ... not sure you need it ... what is the temp of the area youre working in .... dollar store thermometer will get you that ...

my fert is a 40 year old plastic can of kmart general purpose wat sol fert ... ill check the numbers later .... when i go get more coffee ...

ken

• ademink

I finally planted mine last Sunday. I keep waiting for them to sprout. I decided against the basement and went w/ the laundry room, which is a warmer room in the house (still not that warm). Hope they sprout.

• M MW

Some more pictures because who else other than hosta people would appreciate this little guys!?

• M MW

Empress Wu streaked seeds