Software
Houzz Logo Print
ben_dover64

New apartment smell/move-in questions.

7 years ago

I’m a first time apartment renter with a few questions. I found a complex and went in and submitted an application. It was approved and they gave me a move-in date but didn’t hear back. I called and there was a proble, it was supposed to have been sent earlier. So I got the welcome packet and scrambled to get everything done that I needed to do (electric, etc.). I asked if I could come see the apartment before signing the lease (electronically) and since it was after the move-in date they rushed me to send it back, which I thought was crappy. I’ve been busy with work and school so I couldn’t get over to sign/check out the apartment.

I went 2 days later and sorted everything out then got the keys to the apartment. I entered and immediately noticed a smell. The guy at the leasing office noticed it too and said they would fog and eliminate the smell.

My question is that since the apartment had a smell and I didn’t want to move into a smelly place what are my options? The move in date was a week and half ago and they supposedly took care of the smell on Friday (I haven’t been by yet). Do I ask for a prorated rent for this month? Do I contact the BBB or what?

Comments (3)