Software
Houzz Logo Print
primarella

Redoing my kitchen

7 years ago

Hi! I am in the process of closing on my new home. I love everythjng about it except for the kitchen .. I’m looking for some general ideas for redoing it. I know I want to go white for the cabinets and I think subway tile for the backsplash but the floors are throwing me off. I added a photo so you can see the hardwood that it flows into, would you expand the hardwood or do a whole new floor all together. What are your thoughts of adding a small island or table, is it possible? I’m painting the rest of my house “balanced beige” but if I have white cabinets should I do white walls? I would love some suggestions and opinions!




Comments (17)

  • 7 years ago

    Just a general comment. I don't understand why the majority of people posting about their kitchens on Houzz want to have exactly the same kitchen. I hope you realize that the choice to go with the predominant opinion as to what a kitchen should look like (white, marble-look, subway tile, grey) will at some point in the not-too-distant future look like a "trend" and you will hate it and hate how your kitchen looks like everybody else's kitchen from the mid/late 2000's. Aren't all these white kitchens starting to look a little boring?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    In one photo your floor looks yellow, and in another, it looks brown. Which photo is capturing the tile correctly?

    Is the backsplash tiny-pieced mosaic tile? If yes, I would replace that before I painted the cabs. That is the component that most dates your kitchen and looks very busy with the counters, but it is hard to see splash and counters adequately. Do you have a clearer picture of the tile next to the counter?

    Counter, backsplash, floor and cabs all need to play nice with each other. If all play nice now, then painting white might throw off the mix. If your floor tile is yellow, you are going to have to be really careful in the cab color you choose.

    To answer the island question, you need to supply room measurements.

  • 7 years ago

    Laurelbut, my current house has espresso cabinets and dark cherry floors. It's beautiful but I want a change and I like the white. It's my style and I hate wood, I hate brown. That's my reason for either an almost black or white- just my personal preference and here trying to get some outside perspective of a few things.

    Rantontoo- I am not looking to keep the floors, I either want to use the hardwood that runs through the house or something that will flow appropriately from the hardwood to the kitchen.. the floor in there now makes me cringe lol. The backsplah is mosaic tile - black, white, grey.

  • 7 years ago

    Christi-Perfectly understandable. Best of luck with your reno!

  • 7 years ago
    I also prefer white kitchens. As far as the floor, I have had hardwood in my kitchen several times and loved it. And I prefer seeing as few flooring changes as possible for best flow through a house.
    You asked about an island, I don’t think there is space if you keep the same basic footprint. However, I’m no expert on it, you might try taking the measurements to Ikea, Lowe’s, or Home Depot to get a preliminary idea of any different layouts that might work better. They won’t let you take them unless you commit to the kitchen but you can watch what they plot out. It’s a great way to gather ideas to make sure you are using the space to your best advantage.
  • 7 years ago

    it doesn't look like you have room for a island or table

    As far as flooring, what do you like the look of? What do your inspiration pictures use? I continued the hardwoods in mine because I don't like my floor to be chopped up. But there is lots of beautiful tile and even vinyl options out there.

  • 7 years ago

    Removing the scallop from above my kitchen sink was the best $20 I’ve ever spent.

    I also love white cabinets. Try a moveable island cart that you could slide out of the way if you wanted. I could probably live with the floors for a while.

  • 7 years ago
    Christi, I had a scallop over my sink that I recently removed, flipped upside down and then placed crown on top of. I also painted my cabinets vanilla bean to get rid of light oak. I hope this helps.
  • 7 years ago
    Are you having them painted professionally? Have you gotten bids yet? Be aware that it will cost $5-10k. If you’re going with white cabs (I wouldn’t personally paint them but that’s me), run the hardwood into the kitchen for some warmth. Definitely address he lighting, that’s what is making your kitchen seem dingy.
  • 7 years ago

    ..does the granite stay?

  • 7 years ago
    Just a floor comment... I think either would look great, extending the hardwood would look perfectly natural but I don’t mind the transition either because of your setup there are the two places to stop. I think two floors look strange when they stop somewhere other than a door. So it’s really a matter of do you want a different floor that will add another color or texture to the mix (the mix being your cabs, counter, backsplash, and adjoining floor)
  • 7 years ago

    I find it curious the preponderance of people who remove the WOOD cabinets and add WOOD flooring. A wood element is generally liked but never where it is!!! Our window scallop cost nothing and five seconds to pop off, EASY change and it is amazing how much it impacts. Your lighting has me unable to tell where the yellow hue is coming from. White is classic and has been around for generations in certain parts of the country. I think it is a safe and neutral choice. For longevity I would have it done professionally. They are going to take a lot of use and the paint needs to hold up. I am not a fan of subway tile in kitchens. I think you could do better-artistically speaking. Wood floors and kitchens don't work for me, water, dropping heavy items. You don't need an island. LET IT GO. Kitchens are expensive. Yours does not appear to be old enough to warrant a redo. The current back splash was an on trend choice. Don't repeat my making another on trend choice that will not hold up to time.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    There does not appear to be enough room for island with cabinets on both walls.

  • 7 years ago

    For continuity, adding a wood floor would probably make sense, but I really think tile floor in the kitchen is the best.

    I would entertain replacing the current tile with a new tile floor, less busy. I have ordinary but lovely large beige tile with some variety to it and it's a dream to live with. (and yes so neutral like wood in my opinion).

    I have also always loved terracotta looking floors but maybe it is too dark for what you want. It think terracotta floor with the white cabinets would be lovely.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Hello there! It looks like you have some fun planned in the near future. :) Your question was that if you do white cupboards and white back splash should you also paint the walls white. I don't see any issues with white walls because number 1 > since this is what you want; then this is what you should have, and number 2 > white is very easy to cover up later when you find a color you love best. I would recommend visiting some Kitchen Design shops. Hopefully you have a few in your area. If not, there are more than plenty of kitchen design ideas on this Houzz web site.

    As for flooring it's true wood floors take a beating in the kitchen for the most part, especially the soft maple. Here's an idea check out the ceramic tile that looks like wood. I think it is a great invention and beautiful for the price. It will probably be best to replace with a whole new floor if this existing floor doesn't suit the white theme.

    Best of Luck with your kitchen! Thank you. Deb Mottle

  • 7 years ago

    ..if granite stays..

    -wouldn't paint white. The granite reads too warm next to true white..would go very warm white-creamy tones..

    -would just take off the backsplash. Wouldn't add another one since you already have a backspash-several inch granite one. If you decide to take it off- while leaving the counters-I'd indeed prefer simpler tile, subway seems like good size-something drawing from light tones from the granite, presumably warm creamy white as well

    -would either take the wood to the kitchen, on condition you find same exact wood, or would go with tile that's not too busy and works with granite in terms of colors..I'd prefer porcelain..smth like beige tones..

    As much as I personally love patterns and colors and shapes-your granite will make it harder to introduce these. (since it already has colors and patterns inside, albeit subtle)Maybe shapes..depending on where the house is and what's the style.

    Or-you can leave the existing flooring too. Not ideal if cabinets get painted, but it's an option.


    ..if the granite doesn't stay-I'd ask you more about your style and that's of the house..but then it's a whole another scope of work too. Painting the cabinets is not cheap either as been mentioned.


    No, I can't see space for an island..will just impede movement and drive you crazy. Not every kitchen can handle an island, it's fine..kitchens shouldn't be forced into doing what they can't. They start avenging themselves:)


    You don't have to do white walls and white cabinets. You can decide to blend, or to contrast..just make sure all colors work together. If granite stays-nothing too cool or stark. but you still have many colors that will work. Choose your paint last, after you're sure what stays, what goes, what's getting changed, what doesn't.

    Lastly, it's a nice kitchen..I believe the backsplah is an element that "overdoes" it, and removing it will benefit it greatly-and the feeling you get from it.

    seems like a lovely house..good luck on your closing! take your time, don't be in a hurry as others said too. Take your time to live there a bit, figure out needs( your kitchen is pretty contained space, easier to do different flooring..so figure out whether wood or tile are preferrable. For how you/family lives. Just don't put natural wood next to artificial one)..figure out wants-yours and the house's.


    PS I like the wood valance.. because I never had one:)