Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cahabamama

Choosing a stainless sink

cahabamama
5 years ago

I have always had a white cast iron kitchen sink.
Now, we are remodeling, & I am considering stainless. I see high reviews for Kraus, but our countertop supplier sells ITP. Which is best?

Comments (9)

• Shannon_WI
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I've never heard of ITP. Kraus gets consistently good reviews on this forum and elsewhere. Also Kraus provides a free sink grid along with sink, a good value. I prefer 16 gauge SS, and would not go to the thinner 18-gauge. I would also pay attention to the configurations available to you through your countertop supplier (size, shape, number of bowls) - they are typically a bit limited compared to what you can buy yourself.

What is the size of your sink base cabinet? I prefer a single-bowl rectangular sink if your sink base cabinet is less than 36" wide.

• Toni Hamlett
    5 years ago

Key to a stainless sink is to make sure the sink has a coating for sound. I have done a couple of brands and the sound proofing was the only really difference when it came to stainless. The stainless gauge is another consideration but per consumers reports the sound proofing makes this a mute point. Also the finish is key, a shiny finish will show scratches.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

Decide on the dimensions* and style (single bowl, double bowl) of the stainless steel sink you want. Then look at consumers' reviews that match at build.com and homedepot.com. People like to review sinks; some have hundreds of reviews! By looking at these reviews and prices, I think you'll be able to make a pretty good choice.

*If you're not sure of the proportions, the build.com site can help because given one dimension (e.g., length) it will show the number of products available with other dimensions (e.g., width, depth) so you can figure out what's "normal" and have the greatest selection to choose from. For example the greatest number of 33" long sinks are 20-25" in width. -- amateur

• PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    5 years ago

Sound proofing & gauge are both important for steel sinks.

A thinner gauge sink even with a full coating of sound proofing won't have the durability of a thicker gauge. The thicker the gauge, the greater the resistance to denting & even puncturing. Thicker gauges will be less susceptible to sound but having material over the outer surface is still a good idea.

Sound proofing deadens the sound or vibration when hit. Some companies glue thick rubber pads in certain spots, some spray coat a rubberized material to the entire sink & some do both. Stay away from ones that don't do anything or have very small & thin patches. They won't help much for sound.

Here is a page that explains a bit about stainless steel

• Donna E
    5 years ago

I just love the Krauss sink I got in my new granite countertops. I got it from Home Depot. 16 guage, free grid, cool little basket strainer.

• PRO
    Create Good Sinks
    5 years ago

We offer tons of 16 gauge, 304 stainless steel sinks in a variety of size and bowl options. All of our sinks are hand-welded and have thick protective coating & sound pads on all sides. Every sink also features our patented seamless drain, which eliminates plumber putty rings and thousands of germs.

Ledge Kitchen Sinks • Create Good Sinks · More Info

Give us a call or shoot us a message if you're interested!

• cahabamama
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you all very much. We have gone with a single rectangular bowl, 16 gauge. The store where our quartz came from sells ITP. I googled it and was pleased to see very good reviews.
  • cfillyaw
    5 years ago

Krauss are nice. I had one in my previous house and I installed kitchen and utility sinks in my new house.