Software
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Looking for Tropical Theme Inserts for Kitchen Backsplash

7 years ago

I'm looking for small inserts to an off-white random pebble tile for a kitchen backsplash. Not a 'motif', just 2 - 3" inserts to be widely spaced within the field of pebbles. Small kitchen in Hawaii. Could depict sea turtles? Shells? Ten or twelve should do it.

Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Etsy is my favorite place.

    I did a search for "hibiscus ceramic tile" (even though you didn't mention hibiscus, I figured that searching for a Hawaiian-specific flower might yield better results than if I just looked for "turtle" lol) and found the following artists.

    The tiles are larger than 2"-3", but I'd totally contact them and ask if they could make them smaller. :-D Lots of beautiful options!

    Stephanie Kiker

    Fleur de Lys Garden

    Free Child Studio

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, both. What beauties, but...I need JUST the figure, not within a tile. I want to scatter these into the overall background of pebbles. The tile setter would remove some of the odd shaped 1`" pebbles to insert fit in a 'turtle' or 'shell' onto the mesh backing. I've seen this, but now can't FIND it. It really needs to be a ceramic, I think, and pretty 'flat' to take the mortar and to wear well.


  • 7 years ago

    localeater -- Thanks! I hadn't seen your post until now.

    I think what I'd seen are the sea turtles you linked. I guess this isn't going to happen. I'm not spending thousands to add these to a *vacation rental* kitchen. Maybe I could commission one of my grandchildren to make me some turtles in a ceramics class? LOL

  • 7 years ago

    Maybe I could commission one of my grandchildren to make me some turtles in a ceramics class? LOL

    Do you have a paint-your-own pottery studio nearby? Or a community college with a ceramics program? Or heck, even a local high school? My high school ceramics teacher often took on commissioned work. You could have a dozen turtles in no time. :-)

  • 7 years ago
    Try searching animal shape ceramic tile
  • 7 years ago

    Try Wet Dog Tile, they have sea motif backsplashes.

  • 7 years ago
  • 7 years ago

    localeater -- BINGO! Perfect! Thanks so much! We won't be out there for a while, but this is DO-able. (Now I'll have to see if I can walk this back with my DGD (7), who was ready to abandon her turkey dinner yesterday and Get Started!)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    IMO the whole pebbles for a backsplash is not a good idea and to add other motifs into the mix would only work if this is your FOREVER home since pretty sure for resale it would be a turn off. Why not just get some cool sculptures and have them on the counter or on the walls.

  • 7 years ago

    It's a small kitchen w/bisque Corian counter tops and integral sink. Cabinets are flat front, understated. We need a backsplash on an 'L' that is visible from the LR . I'm looking for a few solid 2" sea turtles -- low key, nothing splashy, just to break the monotony.