Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

William R. Smith in Florida

William R. Smith

First bloom on my baby bush! Approx. 5 inches wide! I wish my phone could capture his glow.

Comments (27)

  • 7 years ago

    I agree, Perma. Many times the photos can't capture the subtle beauty of these roses. Yours looks great.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    I think your picture glows, but I know what you mean.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Very nice. My plant looks very much like yours, but a previous specimen looked rather different and was actually prettier. It's one of those rose mysteries. The picture below is of my previous William R. Smith, and I have to wonder whether these two are the same rose. Of course yours is a young rose but as mentioned my current William R. Smith, which is mature, does not look like the one shown here.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    MY WRS from ARE is very variable. I guess I'll have to wait till next Summer to see more of a pattern. That is a beautiful one Ingrid.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    That’s what makes these roses so much fun—its as if they have personalities, and are expressing their various thoughts and moods. :-)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    ... or displeasure! :))

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    These blooms do have a beautiful glow, very elegant!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Krista_5NY
  • 7 years ago

    LOL, Vaporvac—they do sometimes feel diva-ish!

    Even my Crepsecule is showing more pink—-could this be due to cooler temps?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I get much more vibrant colors in cooler weather here in NE FL. Its true of most my flowers and tropical flowering plants, not just the roses.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    That’s very interesting, Sultry & Ingrid! I know I’ve read that maturity and pH can effect the color too, so the variability creates some fun surprises.

    My MBRC has been a pale to medium cool pink, and I’d love to see her in that rich hue you’ve got there, Ingrid. Just stunning! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Lovely! How does it handle blackspot?

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked suncoastflowers
  • 7 years ago

    My WRS is a little less than one year old, but it’s been quite clean. My HPs were spotty nearby, but WRS stayed clean. It has a little something chewing on the leaves, but they probably could‘ve been hosed off if I was really attending to them.

  • 7 years ago
    My BR can't is a BS magnet here. I hate to spray it but I just started to since October. I love the colour and scent of the blooms.
    My Maggie is over the fence now and it is getting BS which is not so bad unlike B.R Can't which is fully loaded.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Wow! I'm really looking forward to seeing your Maggie!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago
    Vap, my neighbor , Richard ( Vietnam veteran) told us last week that he hopes the roses fall on his side. It made him really happy . Needless to say it was only Maggie. He can see it from his windows or whenever he is in the back. My Mexican petunias already migrated to his side. I try to removed it and he said to leave it. It's pretty :)
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    I gave Richard this vase with roses. He loves it so much and gave me a huge tight hug...lol
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    oops I apparently posted it without pics.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Jin, what a blessing you are to your neighbor and how blessed you are to have such a sweetheart of a neighbor that enjoys your floweres.

    Maybe he isnt much of a gardner himself and so he appreciates your talents.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Jin, I love that! Kristine is so right—you are a blessing to him! Neighbors just don’t seem to look out for one another that way anymore; at least where I live. You‘ve given me some ideas...thank you!! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    I dont have flowers to give but I can bake cookies for the widows in my neighborhood.

    People just want to know that someone still cares about them.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago

    Gin, you are sweetheart! Your bouquet is also gorgeous! It's so sweet that he wanted your Mexican petunias. Not everyone has the mentality to think they can grow flowers so I think you may have introduced him 2 Gardening.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago
    He has a beautiful garden in Hawaii. He told me about what he grew . He just not in gardening anymore. He has a lot of health issues and being young but I try to cook for him. Next month, we are taking him to hospital for cataract surgery.
    Last night, I talk to him for hours on phone just to make sure he was okay Bec I saw him and he was shaky due to low blood count. (diabetic). It is just a right thing to do. I have 8 great neighbors. They are down to earth, helpful, kind. Sometimes he don't answer his phone and his brother in Maine freak out easily. We always check on him. I made a promise to his wife before she went to hospice. He is all alone in FL but he got all the neighbors to care. A promise is a promise.
    I can't take any credit, it is just natural to do right things. I pulled weeds on his side so that's how I realized my petunias was growing under the fence on his side. So, I left a few to greet him daily.
    He is a great guy with tons of stories. I truly enjoy his company. He is part of my family. Yeah, he wants me to plant roses using his yard if I ran out of space..lol.
    Kristen, that is cool baking cookies. Richard's wife was an excellent cook. She used to bake me cookies too ..lol. Try to teach my kids German bec they have Dutch, German, Irish blood from Dad side. So, they got a chance to learn one of the forgotten mother tongue in our family.
    Perma and Vap, I know you guys do more in your own special way.
    On Saturday ( yesterday ) , my daughter did car washing to raise funds for soccer. Within an hour, a Cadillac pulled up. Had his car wash and asked how much are they trying to raise. The coach said $500. He pulled $500 from his wallet and handed it to them with a smile. My daughter thought that was amazing. They made almost $780 . She was talking about this Cadillac guy to all her friends on phone.
    He did it his own special way :)
    I just cut each rose that was bloom newly to see which he likes. So far, he loves the colour of Ebb Tide which I gave him last time . I can't wait to see a surprise on his face when Peggy Martin grows over his fence. It is still really tiny barely growing a foot tall.
    Thank you guys for the rose compliments :)
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Jin, you are really a treasure!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago
    I meant Kristine not Kristen ..oops.
    Thanks Shiela just being me.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    you are just an angel.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Jin, you are a special and very wonderful lady. I'm sure Richard's wife is very grateful for everything you're doing for her husband. What a cute story about your daughter and the Cadillac man.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9