0
Find the right pro for your project

December 2018 Blooms

rina_Ontario,Canada
last modified: December 1, 2018

December already! Soon days will start getting longer. In the meantime, lights help :)

Please post photos of your blooming succulents...

• mfyss

Sinningia leucotricha, perhaps.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked mfyss
  • notolover

Here is my Schlumburgera 'Harmony'. This is the most buds it's ever had since buying it a few years back. Waiting for my Echeveria 'Black Prince' to flower. It has tons of buds.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked notolover
  • notolover

Some flowers from E. 'Black Prince'. I had to take the pic today so they aren't open all of the way.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked notolover
  • lisasfbay9b

Unknown hybrid pachyveria.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked lisasfbay9b
  • rina_Ontario,Canada

Found couple of C. ovatas that decided to bloom now - both bloomed last year. Smaller plants, approx. 16" tall - most that bloomed last year were taller/bigger/older plants:

• notolover

My yellow Christmas Cactus is blooming now--I love the color. Our first snow in the valley fell today. The mountains are looking wonderful!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

Thanksgiving, noto?

tj

• notolover

tj: I don't know the difference. The tag says it's a Christmas cactus.

• rina_Ontario,Canada

noto

Compare shape of leaves and blooms to ID:

• Matt z5b GH 9b

Like blue chalk sticks- nothing special

• Paul MI

@Mfyss: Quite certain those are not Sinningia leucotricha flowers.

• rina_Ontario,Canada

Matt

That is not blue chalk sticks, but Crassula capitella campfire (I think it needs more light :)

• Rob Blomquist

Wow a yellow truncata. That is a color they worked on for years. How did you come by that plant, Ive never seen one.

• Matt z5b GH 9b

oh I know, sorry I meant the flowers on this are as dull as the blue chalk sticks flowers lol. I kept these cuttings around for fun to see what the flowers were like. I'll be pitching them soon. Thanks rina, aren't they a beautiful plant in their prime?

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked Matt z5b GH 9b
  • rina_Ontario,Canada

Matt

I didn't get it, haha...one of mine is getting ready to bloom too:

Blooms last forever. Why do you want to pitch them? They are ok even if green.

• Ermione_Greece(z9)

Mammillaria plumosa still blooming.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked Ermione_Greece(z9)
  • Lars

Not many succulents blooming for me now, except for some sedum that are very unremarkable, but this Faucaria in my back yard is still blooming (since October) and now has three flowers:

Also have this in the front yard
    Crassula ovata inside Aeonium branches. Some of the Aeonium have buds already, but they normally bloom in January.

I have a lot more orchids and bromeliads blooming right now than I do succulents.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked Lars
  • Paul MI

"I have a lot more orchids and bromeliads blooming right now than I do succulents."

So what are you waiting for? Let's see 'em! :-)

• notolover

To Rob Bloomquist, They are pretty common at the local grocery store florist departments around the holidays. I bought this one a few years ago. It's from a nursery called hana bay flowers located in Half Moon Bay CA-I believe they are a wholesale nursery.

• Lars

I do not consider orchids and bromeliads to be succulents, and so I only post photos of those on the bromeliad and orchid forums. If I am wrong, let me know.

• Paul MI

Some of them can be considered such, Lars. :-) But, especially as winter progresses, flowers of any kind are a welcomed sight. :-D

• Lars

See if you think any of these resemble succulents:

There is an epiphyllum in the upper right corner with fruit on it. I generally eat these fruits. On the right is a cymbidium orchid that is some succulent-like, and there is another cymbidium with yellow buds on the left side of the photo.
    Here are a couple of bromeliads in bloom - no real succulents in this photo.
    Dendrobium hybrid with another epiphyllum in the background. This orchid seems to come a bit closer to being succulent-like. It's hardy down to 40°, and so I keep it outdoors all winter.
    Here's a photo from my front yard showing the sedem that is blooming, but there are also epidendrum blooming in among the aeonium. The epidendrum is so prolific that I throw cuttings that I take from the back yard into the front yard, and just see if they will grow. The purple flower is on a giant bromeliad.

• Paul MI

LOL. Maybe not those broms, Lars, but there ARE members of that family which are xeric plants. Furthermore, many orchids have pseudobulbs -- which serve as water storage organs -- and even some that grow in deserts.

No matter how you slice it, during the long winters that those of us in the Great White North (or Great ?White? South for those in the Southern Hemisphere), seeing blooms of any kind from any kind of plant can be a treat.

• rina_Ontario,Canada

Small TC cutting:

• oks2n2_Siberia1

Crassula arborescens 'Blue Hale'

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked oks2n2_Siberia1
  • Rob Blomquist

All my Schlum xbuckleyi are not that great at flowering, but here is one that got moved, and showed it off.

let me repot them in the spring and see what next christmas looks like.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked Rob Blomquist
  • lgteacher

Kalanchoe (maybe marianara) and aloe.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked lgteacher
  • geoforce

Both lovely teacher. Kalanchoe is great photo.

• chuckerfly
    Echeveria pulvinata, first flower for me from this plant

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked chuckerfly
  • chuckerfly

Haworthia limifolia, has bloomed multiple times this year, I lost count

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked chuckerfly
  • rina_Ontario,Canada

Bigger TC blooming for Christmas...

• rina_Ontario,Canada thanked Laura F (z9FL)
  • rina_Ontario,Canada thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • gdinieontarioz5

Cheerful Faucaria to light up the umpteenth grey day.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked gdinieontarioz5
  • jp10a

Arrojadoas and Micranthocereus - Christmastime flowerers for me.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked jp10a
  • gdinieontarioz5

Christmas cactus opening its first bloom on Christmas day.

• jp10a

Actually, for me, the real Christmas flowerers are the Micranthocereus - Arrojadoas are more early spring flowerers. The Micranthocereus that are the most prolific - never fail to flower during Christmas week - are M. densiflorus (sensu lato) and. M. Polyanthus.

• jp10a

Almost the end of the month (and year) but here are a few more:

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked jp10a
  • geoforce

Very nice JP. What is the red flowered opuntia in 1st photo? It has a really brilliant color.

• jp10a

Thanks geoforce.

A couple more pics,.. It is Tacinga inamoena spp. Subcylindrica (sensu lato, Marlon Machado) - a dwarf Opuntiad from NE Brazil.

• jp10a

Not a Brazilian, but I really love this form of Melocactus matanzanus (Cuba) with its its striped glaucous plant body. Some plants are just beginning to pop cephaliums:

Pic taken this afternoon at my home. Plants growing in 7cm (3 1/4”) plastic pots in my standard soil mix.

rina_Ontario,Canada thanked jp10a
  • lgteacher

A bit late, but my Thanksgiving cactus is finally blooming.

• jp10a

Geoforce, you wrote:

“Very nice JP. What is the red flowered opuntia in 1st photo? It has a really brilliant color.”

The following page has detailed information and numerous photos:

http://jp29.org/brTinam.htm

• geoforce

JP... Thanks for the link. It looks like a really interesting plant, one I've never even heard of before.

O.T. Mention of Tucson in the description brings back memories. I spent 4 years there in graduate school at UofA in the late 60s. Was back to a reunion a few years ago, and hardly recognized anyplace as it had grown so much.

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)

Some pictures of an unknown aloe that I was gifted. Both the plant and the flowers are very tiny. I had a hard time trying to get my phone to focus. Any ideas?

Tyler