Software
Houzz Logo Print
gennadiy_baturin

Please help with closet layout

7 years ago

My master bedroom closet is mess!



Closet · More Info



To make things worse, there is a heater pipe enclosure in the middle of it.

Perhaps, I can make it a little smaller and still be within the code, but it will save me 8 or 10 inches.



And this is the plan:

Closet · More Info


I like the idea to make shelves on one side only, something like this one:


Closet · More Info



but in this case I will loose about 30 in wide of the storage place.


Not sure if I want to build the shelves the same way they are now, in L-shape, because the corner is not really useful behind pipe enclosure.


Also I do not think that building the shelves on the same side with the door is a good idea, will the place be too much cramped?


This is the plan that I have, but I am afraid it is not enough space for me and Mrs. for our closes


Closet · More Info


What is the best way for my closet shelves?


Thanks!


Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago

    I did not think about moving the door, but it is an option I can look at

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I find this the easiest and least expensive system out there. It is available through a number of retailers. You don't want anything that sits on your floor in case you ever change the flooring.


    purge purge purge your closet of items that have not been worn in the last year.


    http://www.easytrack.com/


    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Easy-Track-RB1460-4-To-8-Deluxe-Closet-Starter-Kit-White/23086584


    https://www.wayfair.com/brand/bnd/easy-track-b18171.html?&experiencetype=1

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Beverly! I am going to install new hardwood floors there. It will be a long term solution. In this case DIY custom made shelves will be more flexible option.


    Cleaning the closet is a good option too :) Thanks!

  • 7 years ago
    You are learning why the much heralded walk in closet (the must have of the 2010s) is not all it’s made out to be. Unless the closet is very deep, it’s no better than the strip closet that you otherwise would have gotten; it’s a strip close with a hallway in front (but a hallway that is too narrow to do much besides stand in). With that said, it seems to me that you have to inventory your needs. Right now, your closets look full, but not overly so, while at the same time, at just about capacity. Other than the empty shelf above the hangers, there’s really no empty space. So, where’s the problem? Do you need more shelves (are you hanging things you’d rather put on a shelf)? Do you need drawers (for socks or underclothing)? How much of that stuff do you have? (Do you have dressers in the presumably adjoining bedroom, or is this it?) I think you have to go through all that first. But ultimately, if a box is “x” cubic square feet, and you have used up all “x” of it (with no air space), you won’t get more in there by rearranging the shape and order of things. It’s like trying to be taller by chopping off your head and standing on it.
  • 7 years ago

    I am not a fan of wire shelving int he closet - especially the kind you have, where you can't slide hangers from one side to the other. as long as you are replacing, I would install separate rods, with shelves as needed.

    Having 2 rods in the left-hand side seems to make sense - it looks like you have more need for short hanging than long (dresses). Perhaps you could move the rods down a bit, so you can use the shelf up above - looks like your suitcase could fit up there, if you had a little more room.

    On the right side, perhaps put a rod for long hanging along the back wall, if 21" is enough. Position the rod to maximize shelving above or below - whichever you find more useful. In my DH's closet, I put his clothes rod as high as I can reach, with shelves below - it's very efficient use of space.

    On the right wall, you can install shelves 36" wide - that should give you room to easily access the hanging clothes. I would use boxes or something to determine how much access space is needed, so you can have shelves as wide and deep as possible.

    When installing shelves, make sure you put in enough shelves so you don't have to stack a lot of things. I have shelves that are just far enough apart for shoes; others are spaced far enough apart to stack a few pairs of jeans or sweaters.

    Have fun with your project, and be sure to come back with "after" photos!

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Hi speaking as a closet designer I would approach the following BEFORE buying a system

    1) Take your inventory of long hang/short hang

    2) Follow advice from the pro who mentioned purge!

    3) Do your shoe math: measure the width of a pair of shoes and use that as your "x" to determine the width of the shelf. For example if your pair of shoes are 8" wide across you want a shoe shelf that is either 16" W , or 25" or 32"

    4) Once you determine the above inventory get a closet system that will fit the widths