Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelsey_smithxo

what would you change about my living room/ entry way

Girlmom101
5 years ago

hello everyone! I have recently moved my entry way table to the side by door and added a Christmas tree hehe. but despite the christmas decor what would you change ? I'm thinking maybe an entry bench may be better than a table? I'm thinking a beige secional would be better than the 2 couches... the room isn't large so I'm looking to make it feel more spacious and airy. over posted before and some people didnt like my ladder bookshelf. it is staying for now. thank you!!

Comments (65)

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    are curtains too brown for space? I'm thinking white and sheer
  • barrowp
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Love the rug. Are you still missing something? Yes! Keep going with what has been suggested on this thread and the one you posted in June. First, move the existing art to the other wall, hang it lower, pick one of Grover’s color schemes and add new art and pillows. These changes will make a huge difference. Then get new drapes hung higher, wider on the wall, two panels on each side, in blue or white from rug. Consider an end table and lamp in the corner. If you are keeping the ladder shelves, consider displaying fewer, larger items, maybe a green plant or two. This can be a really great room!

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Your 9am photo shows you still haven’t lowered the art over the sofa.
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    Two matching sofas (or sofa and loveseat) will always be more flexible than a sectional. Listen to groveraxle for good ideas.
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    felizlady I'm on the look out for a larger picture for above the bigger sofa and then I'm going to move the current one over
  • erinsean
    5 years ago

How about a couple of end tables and lamps.?..Not liking the ladder shelf in the corner either....do you have another room for that?

• Kim Weaver
    5 years ago
    I would use that coffee table!!! Putting something on it would definitely make the room more inviting, IMO. Books, a plant, a tray with things in it.....etc.
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    okay so let me just get this straight...

should the portraits for the wall that I am searching for be the same colour or style of my current one? would white curtains wash out the room or brighten it up.....
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Corner white shelf still doesn't look good there.

Get an end table and a lamp. Something with a purpose.

Put the shelf thing in a bedroom.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Don't know why the curtains are as full as they can be. No reason you couldn't widen the rod and hang an extra panel on each end as I've done below. The curtain color looks fine from here.

For the art, I suggest you choose anything you love that has something you can use as an accent color--I chose mustard yellow because I like it with blue--and then repeat that color in two or three places around the room: a pillow, throw, pot on the coffee table. It will add the spark this room needs.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Off-white curtains:

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

does anyone like the off white curtains groveraxle shared rather than my beige???

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Actually, I do. If you do decide to replace the curtains, I'd aim for the background color of the rug.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    housegal If in not mistaken I wrote " keeping bookshelf for now " . does this not make it clear to you that I dont need a suggestion about it ?
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Sectionals are space eaters with less seating than the two sofas. Conversations are easier when you’re facing your interlocutor.
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thank you! :) 2 same sized couches or love seat and sofa?
  • zmith
    5 years ago

Pretty xmas tree. Add some friends and Christmas cheer. Done. :)

• barrowp
    5 years ago
    I think your current sofa and loveseat are just fine, no need to replace unless there is something we don’t know. I would focus on the other fun stuff that will pull the room together.
  • schnable1
    5 years ago
    I like the cat. Is the tree still stading? lol
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

Yup, you made your point about the ladder shelf. Got it. It's your room. Keep it. You got a gazillion answers, Photoshopped suggestions, advice, etc. in this Dilemma and your multiple other Dilemma questions, yet you keep asking and asking about new problems without addressing the old ones, which are causing the room to feel incomplete or "off." As someone said upthread, follow the advice, and your room will come along.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    schnable tree is still up! haha she doesnt seem to bother with it! :)
  • kulrn
    5 years ago

I like the lighter curtains also. Your room is pretty, but kind of one note and match-y. adding an accent color will give it some oomph. Maybe find the other art, and pull color from that in a vase/pillows..

GOLDEN - Jenny's Print Shop · More Info

Modern Furniture Sale & Home Furnishings Sale | west elm · More Info

Radiance Wall Art, Canvas Prints, Framed Prints, Wall Peels | Great Big Canvas · More Info

• Jenny Island
    5 years ago

CUTE kitty! Love how she's in so many different pics, and your tree looks great! Do you use your baseboard heater? If yes, I think you should remove the curtains rather than adding to them for fire safety. Try a roman shade instead so you can still have some fabric and body. For your entry, I agree a longer console table for the size of the mirror...perhaps echo your pretty living room coffee table (metal legs a bonus b/c of entry baseboard heater.) If keeping current console, pull left further into hall to clear heater and not line up w/ wood/tile transition and wall corner. Even though it's small I could see that creating a bottleneck when all your party guests arrive. Happy Holidays!

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hi everyone! it's been a while. I went ahead and got another larger picture and put it on the wall (lowered) and put the smaller one above the smaller couch. any other suggestions?

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

spring flowers on coffee table for now.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Your room is very restful...perhaps a little too restful. I still think a spot of color would help.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    mustard looks pretty groveraxle!!!
  • christoper
    5 years ago

i like the mustard shades as well. Blue and mustard play well together

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    groveraxle apart from the other accent colour, would you do anything else? should I add an end table somewhere? and if I do should the legs be similar to the coffee table ?
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Please take a photo facing the loveseat. I think you hung the original art too high again.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

please see picture over sofa attached. I'm thinking of getting an end table for between the couch and love seat but just need help choosing. I'm thinking of getting the glass one with black legs (see photot) but I'm not sure how good it will look with current coffee table and lamp as they are chrome. please share thoughts!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I'd probably go white on the end table to balance the white ladder shelves on the left. Still needs a bit of color to add some spark, though.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thank you groveraxle, do you think there will be too much white?
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Not too much white if you get a fairly light table like the one I show. Don't get some big clunky thing.

• christoper
    5 years ago

CC remember to keep your kitchen in mind when choosing an end table. Maybe think of something similar in wood as your Dinette table/or side chair. don't think you should over do the white. Just my thoughts.

• christoper
    5 years ago

how about a wood table beside the loveseat where the plant ls located. where would you relocate the floor lamp if you put table where floor lamp is currently.? If you want more white put something white on a wooden table. your thoughts? are you sure you don't want a table that has at least a drawer in it, for coasters, candles etc. Maybe think double duty when purchasing furniture. You could put plant beside side chair.

• christoper
    5 years ago

after seeing the photo of striped side chair; When you do purchase the end tables, I would put the white floor lamp behind the striped chair.

However, for future, I would think of trying to purchase two matching end tables. You will most likely regret only buying one. think of either with drawers or door. You always need extra storage.

• sharondpalmer
    5 years ago
    Have you tried relocating the shelf unit to the corner and moving the floor lamp and that nice plant to that side of the sofa near the window light?
  • sharondpalmer
    5 years ago
    Also have you tried moving the console table to the wall perpendicular to the window behind the striped chair, pulling the chair forward to become more a part of the seating group ( I’m unsure of actual space and sizes. Just a thought )
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    sharondpalmer the corner shelf was initially between the 2 sofas but people insisted I move it to the corner by window because the lamp should be in between the couches.
  • sharondpalmer
    5 years ago
    I think it might better balance the space. Thanks for the response though.
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    sharondpalmer would you do white side table or a glass with black legs maybe?
  • sharondpalmer
    5 years ago
    I think the rule to follow is to buy what you love. If you stick to that, your taste will be consistent and it will all work together. Don’t be afraid of mixing finishes. It adds interest. You definitely need an end table with a lamp at the end of the sofa where the plant is currently. An occasional table by the striped chair will be nice (if you aren’t going to move the console), and a floor lamp or lamp on the table would add height to that corner group or add art over the relocated console. Again, I’m not sure if your spacing. Just general suggestions to try.....
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    you wouldent put an end table in between the 2 sofas?
  • sharondpalmer
    5 years ago
    If you don’t move the shelving unit, then yes. I would put a table there with a lamp on it. Something that will obviously coordinate with your other end table and lamp. And I would move that floor lamp over by the striped chair
  • sharondpalmer
    5 years ago
    Have you tried swapping the sofa and love seat and turning the coffee table?
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yes I have. the wall where the couch currently is , is too long of a wall for the small love seat.
  • sharondpalmer
    5 years ago
    Even if end tables are flanking it? Also: have you tried moving the shelf unit to the corner where the chair is? (Tell me if I’m driving you nuts)
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    sharondpalmer you've been so helpful! thank you. love your suggestions. will try the end table in corner with chair.
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hi everyone, here are my choices for end tables. I realized I dont have a lot of black in my living room and may get an end table with black legs or just get some black accents to tone everything done. let me know what you think!