Software
Houzz Logo Print
gle2011

Thinking Ahead to 2019 // Help is Needed

7 years ago

Central Massachusetts zone 5b.

After a failed attempt of hydo-seeding in late June and slice seeding in mid-October our builder has decided to sod the front and side yards. My concern is in the backyard; please see the attached photo of the backyard.

I am wondering how to address the situation in the spring of 2019.


Should I but down a pre-emergent in early spring and a starter fertilizer at the end of May? Followed by applications of Milorganite throughout the growing season and then over-seed in late August or early September? Or should I over-seed in early spring, follow the same fertilization plan and deal with the weeds and crabgrass all summer?

Thanks


Comments (10)

  • 7 years ago

    dchall

    Thanks, but why wouldn't you apply a pre-emergent when the Forsythia bloom?



  • 7 years ago

    Personally, I'd do something a bit different here.


    You know MA better than I do. If you're going to get snow-locked for most of the winter, just before that snowfall, seed the lawn pretty heavily--around the normal fall rate.


    If snow-melting-snow-melting is going to happen, seed before a good January or early February snowfall (or cold rainfall if the weather isn't being particularly cooperative with the snow this year).


    It sounds crazy, but it's a dormant seeding and it'll sprout the instant it can in spring and it's second only to a fall seeding in terms of survival. You're going to have to coddle it a bit next summer, but...


    You can skip all feeding until Memorial Day even with the new seeding, but if you're really jumpy, a light organic feeding in April wouldn't be a mistake, either. Don't overdo, half rate of Milorganite or 7 pounds of soybean meal per thousand square feet. Don't shock the babies, they're not up to adult feeding yet and it's cold out there, the teenagers aren't awake yet and they're a little hung over from the high school party they had that you didn't know about.


    Skip pre-emergents as they'll harm the babies. You can use them out front if you want, though, when the forsythia bloom, just not on the new stuff. You're stuck with manual removal on the new growth for now.

    gle2011 thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Got some close ups... especially the barren looking areas? Reason I ask is it looks like you have enough coverage there in most of what I see--you might be OK with not reseeding. To me, seeding is spring is a losing proposition. You will be spending a ton on watering through the summer and will be fighting weeds all along the way.


    I'd prefer to apply pre-emergent and fertilize liberally come April, even if some areas will be barren.

    gle2011 thanked mishmosh
  • 7 years ago

    Please see the close-ups of a couple of different areas in the backyard.

    As you can see it is very thin.




  • 7 years ago

    I think you'll be fine without spring reseeding.

    gle2011 thanked mishmosh
  • 7 years ago

    mishmosh

    What would you recommend for an April fertilization?

    Milorganite, a synthetic starter fertilizer, or something like a Scott's Turf Builder?

    Thanks

  • 7 years ago

    because of your late seeding, I would use Scott's starter with crabgrass preventer (mesotrione) in early April. you will probably need to extend crabgrass coverage 6 weeks after that application with something like Dimension. spring and summer, I think is a great time for Milorganite, which I would apply liberally.

    gle2011 thanked mishmosh
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks mishmosh,

    when would you apply the Milorganite?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    if starter applied early april, you could do Milorganite late april or early may. Once a month would not be excessive. mind you, i would only recommend this based on your circumstances with late seeding and new lawn. i myself start milorganite or soybean meal around mid may on my well established lawn.

    gle2011 thanked mishmosh