Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Shades of Sunday: Share your Paint Makeovers

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Happy Shades of Sunday, Houzzers!

Today is going to be all about Paint Makeovers! Did you just finish a paint project? Share it with us! We want to see your photos of your newly painted bedroom, kitchen, home, or even simple DIY projects.

Post a photo down below or tweet us! For some inspiration, check out the Ideabook down below (2nd photo).

I can't wait to see all your photos! :)

Twitter: @houzz
https://twitter.com/houzz

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-call-show-us-your-paint-makeovers-stsetivw-vs~8396391

Comments (56)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Our house had been on the market more than six months when we found it. I believe the interior paint colors scared away several buyers. We changed the paint color in every room. Here are some of the before and afters. (Part 3)

    The photos on the left are the "before" photos. Photos on the right are the "after" pics.
  • 13 years ago
    Diana, what paint color did you use for your dining room? I'm in love with it!
  • 13 years ago
    How can we tell what is the before versus after? On the kitchen photo is the bright green the before or after?
  • 13 years ago
    Also ditto... on the stairway entry. Is the before the bright yellow or bright green?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Here is a kitchen my team completed a few days ago. Quite the makeover. We started with a dated 80s oak kitchen and transformed into a sleek, modern space. www.TolHouseDesign.com
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked tol1975
  • 13 years ago
    Bonnie, I think the before ones are the first ones because she changed the countertops in the second kitchen picture and put a stair railing in, in the second picture.
  • 13 years ago
    tol1975, I LOVE the seating area extension to the coutertop. Very clever! Your choice of paint color, backsplash, and lighting (including task lighting) really works well together. Love it!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Just remodeled our kitchen by painting the cabinets and replacing the backsplash. We also updated some of the appliances. Took us 3 weekends to work on the cabinets.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Vicky Toshach
  • 13 years ago
    tol1975 love the backsplash on '80's kitchen redo. What is it?
  • 13 years ago
    Painted my office, a.k.a. the dining room. SW "Olde World Gold". It's a nice rich color with red furniture accents and a black desk.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked suzifrink
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    How we "live in our homes" is very different than how we "show our homes when we put them up for sale". Paint colors are very subjective; in our homes we choose colors "we like", BUT when selling a home, you need to appeal to the largest number of potential buyers. The best color for paint on walls, etc. should allow the potential buyer the option to choose the colors "they like". Remember.... you are trying to sell your house, so you can move on, and paint the walls in your new home in the colors "you like".
  • 13 years ago
    got a question for Vicky please add what products you used I love this look. what did you do to the counter by the column? any pics of that?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Fantastic transformation - it never ceases to amaze me the changes that can be achieved with a pot of paint (providing it's the right type for the job that is)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This chest of drawers was plain yellow pine the top was sanded and oiled before painting the body and drawers. I could not afford the porcelain knobs I wanted so I simply painted the original wooden ones with white gloss. To make sure there were no brush marks I used upturned egg boxes to hold each knob then flooded the tops with white gloss which then flowed nicely over and under the rounded shapes.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Can you let us all know what type of paint you used on the kitchen doors and units. Also if you sprayed or hand painted them. Any chance of a up close image to see the finish?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Ordinary 6-panel builder grade doors transformed by SW Caviar (deep espresso) satin paint and beefy Emtek bronze hardware. Professionally sprayed. Wall color changed from Navajo white to BM Lenox Tan. No change to white trims.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked trebinje
  • 13 years ago
    Changed kitchen wall paint three times, as it was hard to find a compliment to the champagne cabinets with peachy undertones. First I went with a peachy/salmon color, then went with a light gray (hoping to pick up the granite color) and finally got brave and went bold. I 'm loving the color... it even motivated the purchase of colorful new counter stools.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked appytrails
  • 13 years ago
    I can see everyone has been hard at work, enjoy seeing great transformations and some thinking outside the box ideas. Congrats to everyone who got their jobs done, now take a moment sit back and enjoy your efforts!
  • 13 years ago
    I just finished (for now) a finish update in my kitchen. Painted & added hardware to the cabinets, painted and wallpapered the walls-- it took me 3 months since I was doing it myself and took on a piece at a time, but I'm happy now that its done! I forgot to take photos of the before until after I had some of the cabinet doors off, but hopefully you can see the idea.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Kate Holevinski
  • 13 years ago
    This wood paneling is everywhere in our house, its just too much, all in the living room too but just did not want it in the kitchen!
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Brittany Bauer
  • 13 years ago
    Am I the only one who prefers some of the befores over the afters?
  • 13 years ago
    This dresser was really beat up, and missing some of the veneer. So my only recourse was paint. I love it now!
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Laura
  • 13 years ago
    Love seeing all of these creative projects. We need more posts like this!
  • 13 years ago
    Am wanting to update my oak cabinets by replacing the doors to an almond "antiquish" look - but then I'm stumped as to what to do with the cabinet frame. Can I paint them or is there some kind of veneer that I should use? Also I have soffits that I absolutely hate but can't take them out because we would have to redo our whole ceiling which is not an option. Would love to hear all of your suggestions on the cabinets and/or the soffits!
  • 13 years ago
    After 13 years in our blue house, we finally got the chance to paint. We are so happy with the results. We used Benjamin Moore Winter Gates and White Dove. The front door, which you can't see, is a glossy black.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Susan Jacobs
  • 13 years ago
    great job!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    One of my latest projects, not complete, but wanted to share the progress. New cabinets were not in the budget, but Paint was!!...From Oak cabinets, to White, Gray walls, and Green/Granite, replaces the formica... New pulls to follow and glass/green backsplash.
    A few inexpensive pendants over the island...
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Sandra Alger, CID, Fresh Ideas by Sandy
  • 13 years ago
    Nice job! You are really making a great change, love the granite.
  • 13 years ago
    icesk8r - That's what's so great about color and design... different flavors for different people. Sometimes, too, the need to re-paint comes from wanting to make something your own, or just to change it up from what you've had for so long. The "before" can be perfectly nice, but it might be someone else's "before" or it was your "before" before 10 years passed and your tastes changed.
  • 13 years ago
    I got this piece of furniture from a thrift shop, because the good thing about it was its wood quality and shape. It took me a couple of evenings to sand it all (manually), and 3 days to prime and paint it white (2x). It still lacked "something", so i decided to paint the handles black. As the amount of black paint which i needed was minimum, i simply used black nail polish :)
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Indre Pluym
  • 13 years ago
    Here's the final result
  • 13 years ago
    Pyschokitty, Paint is definitely an option! Just make sure to sand the wood first so the paint sticks. And they do sell veneer strips and sheets, but they are a lot more work (you have to apply them with heat). With paint you can use any color you want! For the soffits you could cut out niches or cubbies, like between every other pair of studs, and display some of your collectibles. Use some thin molding to frame the cut edges. Have fun with your project!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    coollux, your dresser came out beautifully. You might want to check out "Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint". Her paint is perfect for this kind of project, but NO SANDING is neccessary! I am not a paid employee of Chalk Paint, just a fan. I've done many projects, and am having lots of success because it's so much easier than stripping, sanding, etc. The color choices are fantastic, just the right shades for vintage-y styles. If you google it, you will see tons of tutorials and websites that talk about this paint.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank u Bridgit Roeth for the soffit idea - I may even go a couple steps further and have lights installed and glass doors to keep the dust out! Now if I can just convince my contractor....will post pics if I'm successful!! Thx again!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    dear Susan thank you so much for your information ,I m excited to order some and explore :)
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you, Susan Jacobs, for a great tip! Color choice is indeed wonderful, and moreover it's so affordable! I will definitely keep it in mind for future projects.
  • 13 years ago
    I also discovered Annie Sloan's Chalk paint on Houzz and lo and behold, there was a person who sold her paints in a little antique center right in my small town. Who knew!! I painted this reclaimed wood bench and love how it turned out.I also bought the wax, but didn't need it for this project.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked appytrails
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Our house was painted green in se Portland Oregon
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Cherry Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    Awesome updates guys! Loved seeing all your photos and glad to see you're enjoying this post. :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Our ongoing kitchen makeover including eradicating chile pepper wallpaper. Only wish there was budget for new countertops too. Can't wait for the upholstery of the bench!
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Melissa Swift
  • 13 years ago
    The red ones are the before pics!
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Florencia Pose
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I liked my kitchen but thought the color was a little bland so decided to add energy to the room. I used embossed wall paper with metallic paint for the back splash and painted the upper walls coral.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked nikilyn207
  • 13 years ago
    Does Venetian Plaster count? Before, during and after pics:
  • 13 years ago
    Love the look. Can venetian plaster be used in a bathroom?
  • 13 years ago
    jbv, thanks! And I don't really know, sorry!
  • 13 years ago
    Ya! Venetian plaster counts, if anyone has done that technique they know what is involved, it is a time consuming process with elbow grease. Great job!
  • 13 years ago
    sunbev, thank you! It was a lot of work, and a whole lot of fun. Sort of like playing in the mud! If I were to do it again, I would definitely sand the walls as smooth as possible first because the wall texture caused it to be more work than necessary.
  • 11 years ago
    Susan: does the Winter Gates look more brown or more gray on your house? We are considering it for our house and love the warm gray but want to make sure it looks gray enough (not just brown). Thank you!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Laura the dresser looks amazing you made an excellent job of painting it and I love the colour.
    I have included photos showing before and after transformation of akitchen Welsh Dresser I recently transformed for a client into exactly what she wanted.
    The trick is to ensure any old varnish, polish or wax is completely removed before priming then adding two to three top coats.
    Oh and don't worry about minor imperfections they actually make 'perfection' if you know what I mean - adding character and a 'loved' look.
  • 11 years ago
    anniepm5: Winter Gates is definitely gray. It does have warmth, but it is not brown looking at all. Of course, it somewhat depends on what you put it next to...