Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_2567466

Help Bedroom Get A New Look

Cor
5 years ago

Looking to change up this bedrrom. The two dressers, area rug and blinds are staying. Everything else is open to suggestion. I do want to use the desk/vanity but I am open to painting it. Fire away with ideas, color suggestions, bedding, curtains..... Thank you

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

I would move rug toward dresser more.

Cor thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Agree on the rug

I would also remove picture/photo on the right side of wall (and possibly display on dresser?). It looks odd and off balanced.

Also remove small stand in corner as it looks to serve no purpose?

Cor thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Agree that the picture to the right of the bed needs to go. Will move the area rug out tomorrow. The small stand in the corner can go. It was a refinishing project that I need to find a home for. Thanks you celerygirl and gardenho

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 years ago

Glad to try and help.

How do you feel about replacing the lamps and artwork? They are nice but I think you can do better :)

I’d also shift the bed and tables to the left a bit and add a couple of accents to the room in the same shade of your drapes, just to add some color. Maybe a throw for the bed, picture frame, vase etc.

I think with just a few tweaks your room can look nicely refreshed!

Cor thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Cor, you don't have any bedrooms saved in an ideabook. What kind of look are you hoping to achieve?

Cor thanked groveraxle
  • melinda1977
    5 years ago

I agree that the small stand in corner should go. I would also move the bookcase to another room and move the tall dresser to that wall if it will fit. It is hard to tell without wall dimensions. What is to left of the bookcase and to the right of the low dresser? I would also center the low dresser to the bed if possible. Can you post a picture of that entire wall? I like your prints above the bed, but I would have them with matching mats and different frames (non-wood since there is a lot of wood already in the room).

Cor thanked melinda1977
  • melinda1977
    5 years ago

Perhaps the mirror (or a different mirror) should be mounted between the windows just above the desk/vanity. Then the TV could set on or be wall-mounted above the low dresser. If wall-mounted, I would keep it fairly low. It seems a bit awkward where it is now.

Cor thanked melinda1977
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    Is this a master or guest bedroom? What colors do you like? If it's your master you need a color you love. A guest bedroom can be anything. I think your furniture is fine. I would move things a little though. Center the low dresser you have the mirror above and move the tv to above it. a little larger one would be nice. they are getting cheaper all the time. Move the mirror above the bookcase beside the door. I don't like anything above my bed. I always imagine them falling. I have always liked blue with brown.
    Cor thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grover - what a difference taller lamps make. What color did you 'paint' the walls? I do like that too, although, it is a dark room - not a lot of natural sunlight (faces east). I do love neutrals with a tiny color accent. No comments on the nightstands - I thought people would say they would have to go. I'm going to see if the mirror can be moved above the vanity - I have a feeling it might be too big. Any thoughts to moving the vanity where the bookcase is?

• Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes! There is room to move the mirror over the low dresser to the wall between the windows!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Cor, I don't know what color I painted your walls. All I can say is it's a warm neutral, and a bit darker than what you have now. I happen to like dark, moody bedrooms. I find them calm and conducive to sleep.

Cor thanked groveraxle
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grover - I'm trying to find those lamps. My husband loves aqua/teal so I may go in that direction for an accent color.

• MarleneM
    5 years ago
    Adding in some aqua or teal accents would go nicely with the brown.
    Cathedral District Residence · More Info
    Cor thanked MarleneM
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK. So I sold the little yellow table and decided to make an upoholsted headboard, and orded this fabric sample for the headboard -

Thinking of going with a coral, maize and chocolate colour scheme. Any thoughts on either painting the desk or the nightstands?

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

So this really looks more of the same to me. It will match everything you already have but doesn’t give you much of a change

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

The rug, as mentioned, should be shifted further away from the nightstands

The nightstands should be about 30-36" wide on either side of the bed

Take down the three mismatched prints and install a set of 4 with 2 on either side of the bed

Select taller drapery panels for the room

Take down the mirror opposite the bed and replace with a larger TV over the dresser

Room has too many random items

Move the full length mirror to behind the door

Take away the small chest in the corner

Move the bookcase, if it's even needed to your home office

Cor thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Bluebell66
    5 years ago

I agree with Cheryl. It doesn’t really give you much change. I would personally choose a cream or natural linen color for the headboard and if you still want that fabric, make some shams out of it. Where are you thinking to put teal? And what are you doing with the drapes?

I love Beverly's ideas and inspiration photos....especially that last tall headboard.

Cor thanked Bluebell66
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love Beverly's first inspiration photo - how the two pictures on either side of the bed frames out the lamps. Since I will be making the headboard myself, and love fabric, it's not a hassle to change it out when I tire of it. What type of nightstands would you put in based on the two dressers? The dressers are old pieces and I am not good at mixing furniture (hence all the mahogany) I will definitely move the area rug, dispose of the bookcase and the small table is already gone. The tv will be replaced when it dies and the mirror over the dresser will be moved to over the vanity.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Langley Street Catalapa 30" Table Lamp & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Amazon.com: BXI 18 X 18 Inch Pillow Cover Cushion Case Home Couch Sofa Decoratio · More Info

Cor thanked groveraxle
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Grover for the mock up with the painted nightstands and desk. I love it!!!!!! Do you think it would with any color pallette or just the teal/blue that you did? I haven't figured out a color palette as of yet. Or maybe paint the nightstands a warm white and let the headboard, pillows, shams and perhaps draped bring in the color.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Another version of teal.

Cor thanked groveraxle
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I really like the multi color pillow Groveraxle used in her mockup. It brings a whole new look to the room unlike the striped fabric you found.

• Hansen
    5 years ago
    If you and your guy like teal, use it. I like mirrors behind nightstands and lamps. Will brighten the room up.
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grover - can't thank you enough - now I am torn, paint them white or teal???????? I love both. I'm kind of leaning towards painting them white, making a teal tweed headboard and using pattern on the pillow shams and throw pillows. The tables have a circular leather inlay which may be an issue - might have to two-tone the tables with color and wood. Do you think it's necessary to paint the desk too? Will it be too much?

• Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Paint the nightstands first and see what you think. You could always paint the desk later.

I like that first fabric above.

Cor thanked groveraxle
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BM Azure Blue

• Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was looking at ideas - what are your thoughts on moving the curtain panels to the one side, flanking the desk to mimic one large window and then placing a mirror in the middle?