Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracycampbell80

Trim Stain or paint.

tracycampbell80
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Light maple floors, zebra wood cabinets, quartzite fusion counter in kitchen. Zebra wood through out entire house with black quartz counters. Celing is light wood 5 inch planks.

Designer picked it out and now is suggesting dark brown paint for trim and doors. Doors are maple but need a freshen up. New trim is alder raw wood so suggesting to paint walls a tan color. This is thought the entire house.

I would like cooler tone paint in gray tones. Stain alder trim and doors to match the floors as near as we can (Maple). I do not prefer brown taupe paint. I find it grim and bland. Plus the dark brown painted trim against tan walls seems busy with zebra wood cabinets.

Any helpful suggestions? I would appreciate it.

Comments (11)

• armchairshopper
    5 years ago

Gray is on the way out. Listen to your designer. Everything sounds terrific!

tracycampbell80 thanked armchairshopper
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago
    Please post photos. IMHO dark brown paint on trim always looks like you meant to get dark stained wood. With everything else you have going white trim seems the way to go.
  • tracycampbell80
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• tracycampbell80
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Floors

it is painted tan now and I think it could look better with a contrasting color. I love lighter colors and brighter. Maybe white with a tint of color that brings out the counter? Thanks everyone.

• Susan Davis
    5 years ago

White trim paint in a white that looks good with the wood tones, ie. cool or warm undertones.....wall paint a similar white for a fresh look, but I detest wood trim, but that is just an opinion....do one room aka the way the designer says, if you like it, do the rest of the house.

tracycampbell80 thanked Susan Davis
  • tracycampbell80
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is unfinished trim and wood floors are covered up.

• Fori
    5 years ago

Pretty. Stain the trim like the floors. White trim might be okay as well, depending on the wall color. But gray won't work very well for the walls--I think you need something warmer. If tan is too brown (I understand that feeling), look into the whites. Be prepared to do a lot of test patches before finding the right one.

(I'd probably do the walls a light mossy green, but I usually always end up green somehow...)

tracycampbell80 thanked Fori
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

I'd do the cabinet trim a black tone, it would accent the counter color and black goes well with the cabs.

tracycampbell80 thanked Yayagal
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

I like the color she picked. Maybe it is just too dark for you. I don't think gray would be horrible if it was a grayish white.

To me the cabinets are bright enough. Not sure I would want another bright color.

tracycampbell80 thanked emmarene9
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

No stained trim! You have a LOT of wood already and it is "strong" wood. I would use a light grayed/green for the walls and would do the woodwork in the same color. There is a lot going on in this kitchen! Your countertops and cabinets have a lot of movement. You need "calm" now. Look at Farrow & Ball's Lichen Green, but go a bit lighter.

tracycampbell80 thanked Anglophilia