Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

My dream quilts

mmmm12COzone5
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I love quilts but seldom have seen home made ones to buy. Somehow stumbled into 8 that I loved this year so now am the proud owner of these fabulous quilts!

This is the first one I bought. The colors are very bright. Probably is for a girls room but I just loved the purple and pink together as well as all the batiks in it. Doesn't go at all with my room but I still loved it. After using it for a bit I decided more quilts were in my future because the bright colors gave me such pleasure!

Love these batiks!

This is a log cabin pattern that I'm calling my Amish quilt because it is so traditional (but it was not actually made by Amish). Love, love, love it! It actually goes with the room fairly well because there are green leaves among the purple patterns. It was done by 4 women in one day. Amazing!

The bargello caught my eye right away. I had admired them on Etsy but never thought I would own one because they are so rare. One of the fabrics has little butterfly's that seem to swirl around in the quilt. What a find!

Some details from the fabric.

Amazing color and pattern selections.

This was the second one I bought. An 84 yr old lady was at the craft fair clearing out her stash. My photo doesn't do justice to the sweet old fashioned fabrics used in this quilt. In real life it look stunning in this room.

I tried to get a close up of the fabrics.

This windows quilt was stunning at the show but it is the only one I'm a little disappointed with at home. The windows cut up the bird houses and other interesting items in the panel. I did not notice that when I first saw it as I was taken with the colors.

This Christmas quilt is a stunner. Right now it is a decoration. I may use it as an actual quilt later.

So hard to see the details in the big photos.

The tree panel.

This was the last one I bought. Loved the bright colors, the fabric used and the diamond pattern. I had admired this pattern on Etsy also. Can't wait to use it.

Oh, almost forgot the bird quilt. Love this one also.

When is sit on it on my bed I enjoy looking down and being surrounded by all the birds.

I've sent pictures and thanked the quilt makers but wanted to show off my finds to other people who enjoy quilts. I hope you enjoyed the photos!

Now my big challenge is deciding which one to use each time we change the bed linen. :-)

Comments (19)

• fran1523
    5 years ago

You were certainly lucky to find such a great collection of quilts. Enjoy them.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked fran1523
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! The amazing thing is that I got them all locally after buying the first (the pink and purple one) on a whim at a holiday craft fair in Nov.

I must have been meant to have them because just keeping my eyes open after that allowed me to find these great quilts! They are from 4 different quilters. The Bargello, purple and white log cabin, Christmas tree, bird quilt and window quilt were all one quilter whereas the other 3 were one each from other individuals.

I feel like they are a real smorgasbord collection as there are so many different styles represented. I'm still tickled pink that I actually own a braided Bargello. I feel like I should hang it on the wall as art instead of using it on the bed where the dogs lounge. :-)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    5 years ago

How fortunate that you found 8 quilts that drew your attention and make you happy by having them in your home. You have various patterns and colors to choose from when the time comes to make a change. Not only your bed, but nap time, too. :-)

mmmm12COzone5 thanked geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
  • loisflan
    5 years ago

How lucky you were to find these eight beautiful quilts. I'm happy that they bring you so much pleasure.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked loisflan
  • bev2009
    5 years ago

What beautiful quilts! I'm glad you were able to get them.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked bev2009
  • littlehelen_gw
    5 years ago

It’s so nice to read about the joy these quilts have given you! Those who quilt love to hear how much a quilt is appreciated and used. Happy for you

mmmm12COzone5 thanked littlehelen_gw
  • grammyp
    5 years ago

What a lovely collection of quilts. I'm happy they found a good and loving home. My mother never matches her quilts to her room decor. She likes to pull back the bedspread and find a bright, happy pop of color.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked grammyp
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the additional comments. Turns out everyone loves the new quilts!

I'm glad people don't mind my posting about them. I couldn't contain my enthusiasm and wanted to share it. Every quilt is an original work of art, not just mine, but all the quilts being made. I absolutely love original works of art so quilts are my cup of tea.

• quiltnhen
    5 years ago

Great hall!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked quiltnhen
  • drlaurah
    5 years ago

So nice to see quilts that were sent out into the world getting such love. I always hope that mine are well loved.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked drlaurah
  • day2day
    5 years ago

Beautiful quilts! Especially like the bargello. It is on my bucket list to make a bargello but I am a bit afraid to start. Everyone keeps saying that they are easy to make and I know it's just strip piecing but I still have an unreasonable fear of it. FB Marketplace in my area has many quilts for sale. Not all areas have FB Marketplace but it's worth a search.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked day2day
  • fran1523
    5 years ago

What a treasure trove of quilts. Enjoy them.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked fran1523
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone! I've had a couple of seams open up on the blue diamond quilt. Is the best way to seal them back up a zigzag stitch over the top of them? Any suggestions for this type of maintenance?

I had a hole in the fabric on the purple and white "Amish" quilt which I put a patch over with a purple fabric. Because the pattern is so busy I can't find it even when I'm looking for it but it is very imperfectly done. I should have practiced first on a scrap piece.

I think it adds personality. While these are works of art I know with dogs jumping on them with claws I'm going to be doing a little maintenance. It is well worth it for the pleasure they bring. My guess is over time I'll use them up. It is why I have to keep my grandmother quilt stored. :-)

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

day2day,

When the quilter was talking about the bargello she said she made a small one first to test the methodology to see if she could do it. I think she said it was pretty easy. Then she said the hardest thing was picking out all the fabrics. There are something like 17 of them and she found that intimidating. Part way through she still wasn't sure about the orange and turquoise blue but in the end she loved it. I did too!

• day2day
    5 years ago

mmmm12....Thank you for the information. I have become a fan of orange. I saw a few mostly-orange quilts and thought they were beautiful. The turquoise is lovely with the orange.

Happy Holidays!

~Geraldine

mmmm12COzone5 thanked day2day
  • JustDoIt
    5 years ago

Love the Christmas tree quilt.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked JustDoIt
  • Robbi D.
    5 years ago

My hope is the quilts I make are enjoyed as much as you are enjoying these! They are all beautiful!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Robbi D.
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Robbi D. I'm sure they are. I was gazing at the purple one this morning as it is also hanging over my balcony, enjoying the colors, patterns and fabric choices. I have two on my bed right now. The bargello and the birds.